Where are the Karate and Kung Fu DoJo's?

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just curious if anyof you have experience in other arts besides TKD? Kung Fu, and Karate seem pretty popular as well (at least I thought they were), but in a 20 mile radius of my house there are like 4-5 TKD places, and no Kung Fu or Karate.....

Are the Chinese and Japanese (and the followers of their arts) missing the boat on something here?

OP
Fing Fang Foom

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Omar for the suggestion, but I am not literally asking to find the Kung Fu/Karate places, I am more wondering why the TKD places out number them so much (at least in my town)...

Is this the same in every area, or is it just isolated to the NW?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Omar for the suggestion, but I am not literally asking to find the Kung Fu/Karate places, I am more wondering why the TKD places out number them so much (at least in my town)...

Why is there a McDonald's on almost every corner, but not 3 star Michelin restaurants?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why is there a McDonald's on almost every corner, but not 3 star Michelin restaurants?
Bad analogy. I would say why is there a McDonald's on every corner but not an In and Out burger.

You statement implys that Karate and KungFu are are 3 star vs. TKD being some cookie cutter operation.

There are just as many McDojo's as there are McDojangs.

As far as KungFu there was never the influx and Chinese master flooding the world let alone the US to pourposely spread the art. But I have met my fair share of KungFu frie cooks as well.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my town, there are a bunch of Martial Arts schools. I have only checked a few of them out (those nearest our house) and ours is the only TKD one (even though our sign says Karate.) There are several other Karate places, a mixed place (not MMA, but several styles under one roof), a BJJ school, and a Hapkido school off the top of my head.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Taekwon-Do has a widespread presence in the west because it was specifically promulgated first by the ITF and then the WTF. While the ITF was and is a private organization not a government entity, Gen. Choi had major political power in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The WTF, beginning in 1973, used it's even closer connections to the ROK governmet to send yet more Korean instructors to various countries.

As far as I know, the only comparable thing to this is the early JKA program that sent out instructors but I don't think they had the resources or government backing that the Koreans provided.

Pax,

Chris

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cant answer your question but agree that in my area there are substantially more tkd clubs than other martial arts. I know when I ask a lot of people why they chose tkd they tell me they wanted something traditional (whatever that means) that has full contact sparring and tkd offers that whereas the karate clubs in my area dont offer that, instead they do 'light contact' sparring which turns some people off. The tkd clubs do generally tend to market themselves better also with a heap of advertising.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD is definitely the most popular martial art in my area. Why? The early Koreans sent here by General Choi to spread the art did a good job of it, producing many American instructors who in turn produced more instructors. It also has flashy kicks and thus conforms to the mass public's idea of what a martial art should look like.

Many studios also make TKD an easy art to get into, teaching a lot of kicks up front. A beginner can readily see his progress early on. This may not be the case with some other systems.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bad analogy. I would say why is there a McDonald's on every corner but not an In and Out burger.

You statement implys that Karate and KungFu are are 3 star vs. TKD being some cookie cutter operation.

There are just as many McDojo's as there are McDojangs.

As far as KungFu there was never the influx and Chinese master flooding the world let alone the US to pourposely spread the art. But I have met my fair share of KungFu frie cooks as well.

Sorry about that... but that wasn't the meaning. It was first thing that came to mind after doing some recent foodie reading.

In & Out or Whattaburger are better choices.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is definitely the most popular martial art in my area. Why? The early Koreans sent here by General Choi to spread the art did a good job of it, producing many American instructors who in turn produced more instructors. It also has flashy kicks and thus conforms to the mass public's idea of what a martial art should look like.

Yep.

Many studios also make TKD an easy art to get into, teaching a lot of kicks up front. A beginner can readily see his progress early on. This may not be the case with some other systems.

This is very true with CMAs. You coming from Goju ryu & Aikido both, should see that too. You don't see it early on, but later it's much like a "light coming on" & then things just "happen".

In my personal experience with TKD in the old days, it was closer to this train of thought & practice than now. Now it's IMHO & not a knock, almost about instant gratification.

I tell people when they come to my class "You're not going to fly over bamboo trees, you're not going to learn the 5 Step Death Touch, you're not going to learn the Flying Guillotine as a weapon. You're going to practice basics, over & over, until bored & then you get busy with more basics. After a solid year or so of basics, you'll have a good understanding of how to do things. Then we can talk fun."

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I live in the DFW area of Texas and here is a breakdown: remember this is not all but the one's listed.
1. TKD schools 78 both Olympic, ITF and ATA and some of American
2. Karate 92 that includes all styles and Kempo - Kenpo
3. Kung - Fu schools 64
4. MMA schools 131 now they have over taken everything here, this includes Judo clubs that have added MMA

Like I said this is not all because almost every LifeTime Fitness and Gold gyms all have them plus the YMCA and rec. centers.

I started out in Okinawa Karate and have done Sholin Kung Fu so I still have some of thier influnces with me, but I switched to TKD because when I moved to California back in the eary 80's so many Karate schools was becoming the feel me good school and the only place I found was a dirty old smelly place that tought Korean Karate which turned out to be Tae Kwon Do.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Karate 92 that includes all styles and Kempo - Kenpo
No biggie, but I would throw the Hawaiian arts like American kenpo, Shaolin Kempo, Kajukenbo, etc into their own category. Their mechanics and focus are quite different from most karate systems. Okinawan kenpo/kempo is another story.

I'm shocked to hear that karate has so many schools though. There's maybe less than 30 Goju-ryu karate studios in the entire state of Texas. Meanwhile, in the Austin metro area, there's at least that many TKD studios alone. Although I am cooking the books by lumping all TKD styles together, I think the point still stands.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No biggie, but I would throw the Hawaiian arts like American kenpo, Shaolin Kempo, Kajukenbo, etc into their own category. Their mechanics and focus are quite different from most karate systems. Okinawan kenpo/kempo is another story.

I'm shocked to hear that karate has so many schools though. There's maybe less than 30 Goju-ryu karate studios in the entire state of Texas. Meanwhile, in the Austin metro area, there's at least that many TKD studios alone. Although I am cooking the books by lumping all TKD styles together, I think the point still stands.

Now remember that includes sub schools and such, Bushu Kai with Shihan Lewis is one of the biggest, also this is what is inside Lang Son Traders book with fliers and business cards so I just counted everything that had the word Karate to it so some of that maybe mis-leading, last thing we have over three TKD school but alot of them are in Rec centers and Gyms so in the end, thierstill is alot.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do has been heavily commercialized, leading to the current situation where you can see dozens of TKD businesses in most communities. Many other styles are less commercially visible, and less mercantile in their focus, so you don't see them in the big storefronts. Instead, you'll find them in smaller studios or the spaces on the back of a strip mall -- or taught through the Y, rec programs, and other similar facilities. A lot of TKD places also have heavily marketed thinly veiled day care programs, and targeted the family demographic by having parents in classes with the kids.

I'm not saying any of this is inherently evil. OK, I have major issues with the daycare stuff but only because they evade the supervision and regulation of daycare programs. But it does explain why they TKD is so much more visible.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that Kung Fu isn't done in a Dojo so where do they train? I'm curious as I don't think I've heard of the Chinese equivalant of Dojo or Dojang. What other arts have different names for where they train?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm assuming that Kung Fu isn't done in a Dojo so where do they train? I'm curious as I don't think I've heard of the Chinese equivalant of Dojo or Dojang. What other arts have different names for where they train?

I believe southern Chinese styles call their training hall a 'kwoon'. Not sure about the northern boys.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

just as a note, Kung Fu is a generic term for Chinese Martial arts....so basically you are asknig where any or all of these shools are, just to name a few

OK, I am going to answer this and I will get a rash of harassment form at least one member of MT about it :)D) I cannot remember the Mandarin for some reason at the moment but the Cantonese is Kwoon.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I am going to answer this and I will get a rash of harassment form at least one member of MT about it :)D) I cannot remember the Mandarin for some reason at the moment but the Cantonese is Kwoon.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Try Guan... traitor speaker... :angel:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Latest Discussions