When your gone what is next

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A interesting subject came up last night that made me think about people like me: Here is the scenario, I'm Kukkiwn certified with a fourth Dan, my father and my Grand Master is gone, what happens to my student BB when I'm gone or when they hit third dan, without belonging to some-one of a higher autority will my student be left out in the cold or should I find a organization that can help keep the ball rolling if anything happens to me.

Just like to get everybody views on this do we need to look pass are self to protect our student further endevours into our Art?

Terry

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen many scenarios. Disclaimer: I am not stating here that i personally agree equally with all of them: only that I have seen these scenarios! :0)

Some find another teacher who can promote them.
Some have promoted themselves.
Some form a board of lower ranks who all collectively promote him / her.
Some find an organization (s) for further promotion.
Some never seek promotion again.

Each person has to decide for themself what a promotion really means and pursue what avenue is right for them in their own heart.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say anyone with confidence in themselves, their training, and their abilities doesn't necessarily need to belong to a "higher" organization. There is nothing wrong with being independent. One needs to decide for themselves, and what their goals and interests are.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, if your primary concern is the further progression of your black belts, I would consider who would be the best instructor for them each individually and start that conversation with those masters. I suppose this is where being affiliated with other schools (even if on an informal basis) or at least friendly would be a good thing.

You might consider asking your BBs what they think they might want to do when that inevitability arrives.

Deep subject. Good thread, Sir! :asian:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I would say anyone with confidence in themselves, their training, and their abilities doesn't necessarily need to belong to a "higher" organization. There is nothing wrong with being independent. One needs to decide for themselves, and what their goals and interests are.

Absolutely! I have remained independent for 12 years as a school and still going strong.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the Crane in one respect, that passing on good knowledge to your students is important. If you were a kickboxing school whose primary art was TKD, I'd say "go independent." However, since you want to involve your students in USAT events, KKW certification is very important. I'd recommend connecting with a respected GM &/or a legit organization that can promote you & your students w/ genuine KKW certs.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Terry,

Many people can help you. The only thing to watch out for is the money grabbers. These are the ones that will overcharge you for the Kukkiwon. I have helped people out before and only for the cost of the certificate, which is actually cheap. By keeping a network of good taekwondo friends, you can preserve your students’ lineage. I would stay away from independent type organizations that self promote. The kukkiwon certification is still important for now. Do you go straight to the kukkiwon or USAT for your certificates?

ron

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Flying Crane and the other posts in here.
At some point you dont care but at another level if you want to compete and stuff then you have to belong to something. Sad in a way.

Latest Discussions