Osan Air Force Base

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you can trace your TKD lineage to this place? Either you or your instructor (or instructor's instructor) trained there?

It seems to come up a lot as a portal to the TKD world.:)

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
How many of you can trace your TKD lineage to this place? Either you or your instructor (or instructor's instructor) trained there?

It seems to come up a lot as a portal to the TKD world.:)

Greetings,
I for one trained at Osan AB, while stationed Korea from 1981-1982. I was there for almost two years. Although, I joined and formally trained in the Do Hap Sool school, under Grand Master Chun, In Wan. (Amazing Master...)

I also had the opportunity to train informally at the TKD and HKD schools there. Truth be told, the masters there were not sure what to make of me while there, (and were not happy that I joined DHS). It also turns out that while in Korea, I took only a couple students because I wanted to train, and not teach, but it doesn't always work out that way. My guys are the ones that allowed me to train in the TKD and HKD dojangs.

There are some pictures of me training at the TKD dojang in Osan on my website, as well as temple/mountain training and the Do Hap Sool dojang too. The links are:

http://www.dsystem.com/images/KOREAindex.html

http://www.dsystem.com/images/DoHapSoolindex.html

I loved every minute of my training, and miss that part of Korea.
With brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot one piece of trivia: They had a picture of Chuck Norris training right there in Osan at both the Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do dojangs on Base. I felt like I was touching a unique piece of history while there.

Not to mention the fact that so many people fought and died in so many places that I was standing. Sometimes just having a beer and feeling sorry for myself because the military was working me soooo hard. Especialy during war games. I was there for two Team Spirit exercises.

Anyway, thought some of you might relate.
With brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 1st instructor, Master Yun Kil Kim, & my current instructor, GM Ed Sell, both trained there, also. I s'pose I need to go visit there, someday.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought I'd bump this to see if any other folks have the connection.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just returned from Kunsan Air Base in Korea. I did not have a chance to train at Osan, but my instructor's instructor is the Tang Soo Do instructor there. Many TSD and SBD practitioners trace their lineages back there as well! It is amazing that almost all the high ranking Koreans have done their time there.

It is also amazing that SO many Koreans claim a direct connection to Chuck Norris....

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just returned from Kunsan Air Base in Korea. I did not have a chance to train at Osan, but my instructor's instructor is the Tang Soo Do instructor there. Many TSD and SBD practitioners trace their lineages back there as well! It is amazing that almost all the high ranking Koreans have done their time there.

It is also amazing that SO many Koreans claim a direct connection to Chuck Norris....[/quote]

Very cool!

I think it's funny that so many people want to claim a connection to Chuck. Americans & Koreans too.:supcool:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would trace my lineage to the two places my Instructor trained: The Chung Do Kwan Central Studio and whatever Korean Army base in southern Korea he was stationed at.

Latest Discussions