When you have an injury...

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you have an injury, do you find other ways to train? I recently broke my collar bone and radius. I cannot really train as I normally do, but have been reading more of my journal notes, looking over seminar tapes, various tapes. I am seeing things I had not seen before. Now as I am healing and can move with minimal pain, I am working on my footwork (I train mostly in Kenpo). Once again, I am seeing things differently. My left arm and upper body have very limited motion.

What have done during healing time to keep your training going?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you have an injury, do you find other ways to train? I recently broke my collar bone and radius. I cannot really train as I normally do, but have been reading more of my journal notes, looking over seminar tapes, various tapes. I am seeing things I had not seen before. Now as I am healing and can move with minimal pain, I am working on my footwork (I train mostly in Kenpo). Once again, I am seeing things differently. My left arm and upper body have very limited motion.

I'm sorry to hear you got injured. I hope you gave the other guy twice what you got
icon10.gif

Good idea, if you really cannot physically train, then train your mind. Review notes, read, think, etc.

When you can start to move again, maybe work the uninjured side until you heal enough to train fully again? Just my thoughts.

Take care.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I have a injury stopping me from doing my workouts this is the time to exorcise the brain and go over every single technique that you know and try to fully understand them.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings HKphooey,

Sorry to hear about your injury. You are doing great reviewing notes and wtaching tapes/dvds. You can practice visualization of your techniques and change the scenario (on the floor, sitting down, one man, two men, walking in the park, parking garage, the beach, etc)

When you come across a crime story about a victim who was successful or not in dealing with the perpetrator see what can you learn from that incident.

Checkout YouTube and find MA that you never ever heard of and watch the moves and then watch clips of MA you are familiar with so you can compare notes on how they are similar and different (strikes, take downs, controlling attacker's center line, body structure).

Read more MA books. Watch MA movies. Get plenty of rest. Drinks lots of water. Catch up with some buddies and laugh a lot. Enjoy this time of healing.

Peace. :asian:

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As anyone that trains with me can tell you, I'm not that smart about taking care of myself. When I get hurt, I tend to just keep training as much as I'm able to. When I injured my knee, I had some trouble keeping my stances low, but I keep trying anyway. Getting up from a roll was pretty difficult, but my good leg ended up getting a lot stronger. When I tore all the ligaments in my wrist, I did try to baby that a little bit. It was during that period that I got to practice more one-handed sword work (in my off-hand, even), so there were some positives.

Still, don't be stupid (like me). Wait for the injury to heal before you start trying to push things. If all you can do is read your notes and watch videos, that's better than nothing. With just the shoulder/arm being out for now, you can still work on your footwork and strengthen your legs, too.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am going through an injury now that can put me on the shelf anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. I will take this time to review my notes and organize them so they are a little more understandable. This time may actually be a gift from the martial arts gods because I have been trying to this for the last several months.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about the injury.

Generally I do more qigong, read and review CMA subjects and past training.

I use to try and continue training when injured (DON'T DO THIS) and although I could once throw a great heal kick while on crutches it is not worth it and it ALWAYS leads to more injuries and longer healing time.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done much the same thing - albeit compensating for a back injury. I spend a LOT of time writing and rewriting curriculum, reviewing notes, books, tapes, etc, and working on the limited footwork and basics that I can do. I'm slowly starting to be able to work my way back into techniques and forms, and I do those at "t'ai chi" speeds for now, the good days I go a little quicker, the bad days a little slower, but the point is to maintain the principles no matter what speed I'm at.

Good topic HK :)

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
HEY!!!! wait a minute...what do you mean by that :uhyeah:

Just kidding

I <3 T'ai Chi :) I can do it without any stress on any part of me body - so I took the same approach to training my other material - move deliberately and purposefully and while maintaining principles and it's every bit as effective. :)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
HEY!!!! wait a minute...what do you mean by that :uhyeah:

Just kidding
Isn't it a requirement that you have to be like a hundred years old before you can start Taichi? :D Hey don't get mad at me, I'm just sayin' :ultracool

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about yr injury... hopefully it won't be too much longer before you can get back into the thick of it. :asian:

I've been kept out of training for the past 3 and a half months with a knee injury (that required surgury to fix
icon9.gif
). During my enforced layoff i've pretty much done the same as you... study my notes, watch school DVD's, research my style, chat on MT, etc. I've also continued going to class as an observer... it's really interesting to look at other ppls styles and progress when you don't have to concentrate on what you are doing with yr own body as well. I make sketches and write notes on the material i'm missing out on in class, so hopefully i won't be too far behind when i finally get back to full training.
It's also nice to feel that i haven't lost contact with my school during this period. Kind of keeps my spirits up, even if watching from the sidelines is hard sometimes!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets see left collerbone and left arm messed up. I can relate to that, for me it was left collerbone shattered and shoulder screwed up as well. I did the same as you are doing. Study all my notes, went to every single class and took detailed noted so I could study them as well. Watched training videos and generally tried to sharpen each of the things I already knew in my mind so when the body was able to continue I could without a huge loss. I was out 4 months and was sooooo glad when I finally got the go ahead to resume training from my Dr.

Good luck and hope everything turnes out great for you.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree take it easy read the notes and watch the videos. Its better than doing nothing at all. Besides it gives you time to reflect and organize your notes. Don't try and train your upper body at all it will only prolong the healing process and you don't want to do that. Hope you get better soon.

Latest Discussions