When you are right you are right. MSNBC commentator has a meltdown

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you earn 500 dollars a week at your job. You find out that your spouse, (husband/wife you can pick one for the sake of the example) has been spending 2000 dollars a week. You realize, hmmm...there is a problem here, and you logically say, we aren't earning enough money, well, some in the viewing audience would think that was the problem.To solve the problem here are a few scenarios:- your spouse says, don't worry, I know we can get some more credit cards.-you go to your boss and say, hey, you have to pay me more, I have 2000 dollars a week in expenses and you, greedy bastard that you are, are only paying me 500 dollars a week. I give at least 600 dollars a week of that 2000 to charity, so if you don't increase my salary all those starving and sick kids are going to do without because you are a greedy bastard.Which of the above scenarios sounds fair? Let's say the boss increases the salary (taxes) does anyone think that the situation is going to change, that these people are going to pay down their debt and quit spending money they don't have?
That's a pretty idiotic analogy.On the other hand, if you've been making $500 a week, and your wife has been spending $2000 a week, you're probably gonna have to get another job to pay of those bills (taxes).....and GET ANOTHER WIFE! (You know, throw the bums out.......)

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A Job. The hard luck guy on the corner has yet to hire me.
I didn't Find Stossel doing his report around here :(
Shoot the wife, quit the job, and get 3 hots and a cot for life (and a gym, and free cable and... etc.) on someone elses dime.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this analogy is any different than the current situation, it is exactly where we are now. the taxpayers are the boss, the spenders are congress. Now, you could say that it is slightly off because congress is spending the money in our names, thus it is our debt. It is not a perfect analogy for the situation, but the analogy still stands.

You could make a same analogy for a business. You are the regional manager of a business and the head of the widget department says his department gets a budget of 500 dollars a week, and he found out through accounting, that the department racked up 2000 dollars a week in spending without any actual results in selling or producing widgets. He tells you you have to give his department more money, after all, YOU owe that 2000 dollars because it is your region. You could replace the guy, but corporate will simply replace him with another idiot who will do the same thing. This is also an imperfect analogy but also highlights the points. giving that guy an increase to his budget isn't going to do anything for the problem and it will make the problem worse, not better. Now what?

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...silence on the main question though...

Did they DO THE JOB?
Congressman, President, Janitor what ever it makes no difference.
If you can't add and subtract you have no buisness being hired to administer (vote on or plan) a budget. If you do sweet talk yourself into the job and get found out you can't hack it, you get the notes in your personel file at your review (midterm elections) If you don't get your act together you get fired (elections).
So now it's up to the employers (voters) Can they hack it? Did they get their act together?
Ohh almost forgot did they violate their employment contract? If they did your fired (impeachement).
Damn people sometimes make things harder than they are.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, in the case of congress, they didn't do their job, they haven't done their job and worst of all, you can give them every penny in the country, and all the money form other countries, and they still won't do their job because unlike an actual business, you can't send them to jail for misappropriation of funds. All you can do is vote them out...to let the next crook in who may be a better crook than the last one. In the real business world, Barney Frank and friends would be in jail.

Imagine what happens to the business people who misappropriate the pension funds, they go to jail, congress misappropriates social security funds and they just say they need to raise taxes to make up the difference. That is the difference between the real world and government. That is why raising taxes, and giving it to the same crooks won't help. Starve the beast.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmmm...seems to me the debt ceiling was increased and payments are still being made, it seems more that the knowledge that the politicians who believe in the 4 pillars of government, tax, spend, borrow, print are the reason for the down grade. The "super committee" is not going to actually come up with real solutions, and they don't care about actually solving the problem, that is what caused the down grade.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, in the case of congress, they didn't do their job, they haven't done their job and worst of all, you can give them every penny in the country, and all the money form other countries, and they still won't do their job because unlike an actual business, you can't send them to jail for misappropriation of funds. All you can do is vote them out...to let the next crook in who may be a better crook than the last one.
Starve the beast.
Exactly. LETS FIRE THEM ALREADY. We may get lucky and not get ones that are better crooks to replace them. And while we are replaceing them, lets change the terms of their contract (voter initiative process) so they can not as easily escape jail time (for bad/fraudulent/criminal behavior). Come on folks more people are following this stuff than have in years now's the time to make the employer have a say. This is not a elephant/donkey thing is a take individual responsibility thing. Start small and go big.
If the town concil stinks in your opinion do something about it, then move on to the county, state, and Feds.
You don't start building with the roof trusses, you mark the ground with a grade stick fist.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you a tea party terrorist hobbit Maxime?:ultracool Because if you aren't now, you may be labled one later, especially when you call for politicians to be responsible for the job they do.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
hmmm...seems to me the debt ceiling was increased and payments are still being made, it seems more that the knowledge that the politicians who believe in the 4 pillars of government, tax, spend, borrow, print are the reason for the down grade. The "super committee" is not going to actually come up with real solutions, and they don't care about actually solving the problem, that is what caused the down grade.

From the S&P downgrade report: (You see that this is a link directly to the report, dontcha Billi?)

We have changed our assumption on this because the majority of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act.

While there are quite a few other reasons given, this does indicate that the way to get our AAA credit back includes raising taxes in order to pay down our debt.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are you a tea party terrorist hobbit Maxime?:ultracool Because if you aren't now, you may be labled one later, especially when you call for politicians to be responsible for the job they do.
I might have some hair on my toes. And I'm vertically challenged.
I try to simplify things to the lowest common denominater (it's either on or off, 1 or 0) and equate it to what I understand. Some folks are smarter than me, some are faster, some stronger. But none is me. And I really try hard to not take myself to seriously.
Oh and it isn't just politicians I want to take responsibilty for their actions, Just ask my kid.

Latest Discussions