Mandatory Sex Ed In NYC Schools

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was that way when I was a kid, including an opt-out for the parents who desired. Don't see what the big deal is.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Opt out? sheesh, so you still can tell your kids about the birds and the bees?

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Take them to the farm or ranch or Dairy for a week or 2 in the spring.
Call it a multi dimensional field trip.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey it's better than the plan NYS ED came up with about 15 years ago....they had the idea to start it in 2nd or 3rd grade.... they discovered...much to the shock and dismay of the PhDs that came up with the plan...that was just a bit to young.. and it did not make parents all to happy either

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey it's better than the plan NYS ED came up with about 15 years ago....they had the idea to start it in 2nd or 3rd grade.... they discovered...much to the shock and dismay of the PhDs that came up with the plan...that was just a bit to young.. and it did not make parents all to happy either

Our kids lead sheltered lives...at that age my niece was fully covered with knowledge in that perspective...my own kid not so much...a friend of my niece, well, we had a fun time trying to not explain to her what balls the cat no longer had...at nearly age 10...and the girl had an older sister.

I can't remember when the facts of life were revealed to me, my older sister was always concerned with these things, so I guess I just always knew...(then again at the 7 or 8 yo range is when kids become conscious of their bodies...no evident in the US when everything is always covered, but in Europe where there is not a problem with prepubescent girls only wearing swim suit bottoms...around that age the top becomes important....so sex ed then would be not a good timing...a few years earlier or later, in my uneducated opinion)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Our kids lead sheltered lives...at that age my niece was fully covered with knowledge in that perspective...my own kid not so much...a friend of my niece, well, we had a fun time trying to not explain to her what balls the cat no longer had...at nearly age 10...and the girl had an older sister.

I can't remember when the facts of life were revealed to me, my older sister was always concerned with these things, so I guess I just always knew...(then again at the 7 or 8 yo range is when kids become conscious of their bodies...no evident in the US when everything is always covered, but in Europe where there is not a problem with prepubescent girls only wearing swim suit bottoms...around that age the top becomes important....so sex ed then would be not a good timing...a few years earlier or later, in my uneducated opinion)

True but NYS ED was also going to cover "Safe Sex" to which after a demo to a test group a question was put forth by one of the children....”so....what do you do with the banana after you put the condom on it"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True but NYS ED was also going to cover "Safe Sex" to which after a demo to a test group a question was put forth by one of the children....”so....what do you do with the banana after you put the condom on it"

oh, well...THAT is a bit too early...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't remember when the facts of life were revealed to me, [...]

When I saw this thread I tried to remember when I learned about them, but I don't recall anything from my school or parents, or even Mrs. Garrett. I do recall a particularly awkward moment when my Dad started out with the birds and bees, "When a man and woman like each other very much..", but it quickly jumped to him offering to buy condoms if I was too embarrassed to do it. I told him thanks and kept it a secret from him that I had no problems making my prophylactic purchases.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would tend to make it harder to peel...

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I saw this thread I tried to remember when I learned about them, but I don't recall anything from my school or parents, or even Mrs. Garrett. I do recall a particularly awkward moment when my Dad started out with the birds and bees, "When a man and woman like each other very much..", but it quickly jumped to him offering to buy condoms if I was too embarrassed to do it. I told him thanks and kept it a secret from him that I had no problems making my prophylactic purchases.
Blair could have explained it in much more detail ;)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was that way when I was a kid, including an opt-out for the parents who desired. Don't see what the big deal is.

I honestly dont recall if there was an opt out or not. As for it being a big deal...well, you're right, I ask myself the same question. To me, its not a big deal. I dont have kids, but if I did, no, it wouldnt bother me at all, if sex ed was taught in school. Of course, my wife and I would do our part at home. The 'big deal' comes into play when people think that no education should be taught in school, that its the sole discretion of the parents. Which of course is perfectly fine...as long as someone teaches the kids.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I honestly dont recall if there was an opt out or not. As for it being a big deal...well, you're right, I ask myself the same question. To me, its not a big deal. I dont have kids, but if I did, no, it wouldnt bother me at all, if sex ed was taught in school. Of course, my wife and I would do our part at home. The 'big deal' comes into play when people think that no education should be taught in school, that its the sole discretion of the parents. Which of course is perfectly fine...as long as someone teaches the kids.

The PP nurse....

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The PP nurse....

LOL, anyone. It could be a parent, someone from the school, a doctor, someone from a church. People have said in other threads on this topic, that it shouldnt be the school system. Thats fine, I can respect that. But for a parent to think that their child wont or could never be tempted by...gasp...the evils of sex...lool...they're living in a fantasy land.

I'd rather have my kids learn and have safe sex, instead of coming up to me saying, "Dad, I'm pregnant." :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, anyone. It could be a parent, someone from the school, a doctor, someone from a church. People have said in other threads on this topic, that it shouldnt be the school system. Thats fine, I can respect that. But for a parent to think that their child wont or could never be tempted by...gasp...the evils of sex...lool...they're living in a fantasy land.

I'd rather have my kids learn and have safe sex, instead of coming up to me saying, "Dad, I'm pregnant." :D

yep...

the Good Lord saw fit that once the equipment is ready, the knowledge about usage is, too. It's up to parents and community to put it into social acceptable channels.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take them to the farm or ranch or Dairy for a week or 2 in the spring.
Call it a multi dimensional field trip.

:D :D

[yt]gWCku4TRNXI[/yt]

Latest Discussions