When Did the Change Come?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I came upon this image being hosted on Facebook and thought, given the political passions often evident here, that it might be of interest:

View attachment $Lost Government.jpg

At what point did the changes in the Land of the Free become apparent? Was it before Reagan, say, or after?

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, I tend to agree with his message. I'm truly not sure when the changes became apparent. I suspect that Watergate was an indicator of how corrupt government could become.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our government has been on a steady decline for a while now. I would say it has become apparent within the last couple of decades. More people are waking up now, but it really started to hit the fan with Clinton and Bush. Now more people are waking up to the BS.

But it was on a decline long before that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I came upon this image being hosted on Facebook and thought, given the political passions often evident here, that it might be of interest:

View attachment 17801

At what point did the changes in the Land of the Free become apparent? Was it before Reagan, say, or after?

Which time? The Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War was a time of change. Brown V. Board of Education was a change. Johnson's War on Poverty was a big change. Teapot Dome wasn't a time of pride for our government. As mentioned by DennisBreene, Nixon isn't remembered for anything good, but only his resignation and the reason for that. But he certainly wasn't the first to do poorly. There are rumors of the sale of then useless swampland to the federal government by our early founding fathers.

I guess we are like many countries. Led by people who are subject to do very well or very bad.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

View attachment 17801

I think it came with the age of information. The internet has made public so many things that have been happening for generations. Now, it completely apparent that everyone involved is pretty much on the take in some way. Nothing really changed, except that now we have a way to know.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All governments have always been corrupt. Money and power will always be abused by people in position to abuse them...look at the history of both the U.S. and Britain, and absolutely every other country in the world...ever... and the theft, corruption and bloodshed becomes more apparent...it just seems worse now because we are alive now, back then I imagine you heard the same things...and Makalakumu is right, easier disemination of the information just makes it seem worse. (Much like serial killers as I have tried to explain to my mother who refuses to believe that they have always been around) The same ability to see the problem much easier now also means we have a better chance to correct the problem now, as opposed to back then when government crimes could happen with a lot fewer people knowing...

How honest and compassionate was the governing class during the 30 years war, the Aztec empire, the Japanese Shogunate, under the Mongols in China...Imperial Japan, or Imperial China, or the Austro-Hungarian empire, or the Zulu empire, or the Iroqouis confederation, Italy under the Borgias....ask the people who lived back then what they thought and you could probably just change the names and put them in this post...

The problem...we actually have to step up and deal with the problems...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Shay's Rebellion.No votes for free blacks, Catholics or Jews. The Republic was stillborn, and the corruption we smell is a 226 year old rotting corpse.....

Last edited:

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All governments have always been corrupt. Money and power will always be abused by people in position to abuse them...look at the history of both the U.S. and Britain, and absolutely every other country in the world...ever... and the theft, corruption and bloodshed becomes more apparent...it just seems worse now because we are alive now, back then I imagine you heard the same things...and Makalakumu is right, easier disemination of the information just makes it seem worse. (Much like serial killers as I have tried to explain to my mother who refuses to believe that they have always been around) The same ability to see the problem much easier now also means we have a better chance to correct the problem now, as opposed to back then when government crimes could happen with a lot fewer people knowing...

How honest and compassionate was the governing class during the 30 years war, the Aztec empire, the Japanese Shogunate, under the Mongols in China...Imperial Japan, or Imperial China, or the Austro-Hungarian empire, or the Zulu empire, or the Iroqouis confederation, Italy under the Borgias....ask the people who lived back then what they thought and you could probably just change the names and put them in this post...

The problem...we actually have to step up and deal with the problems...

I think one major problem is people want to change things instead of fix them. Look at ideas like Communism. Great in theory, horrible in practice. If we would just work together to fix a broken system instead of trying to build a new one, that will be just as broken, we might actually get somewhere.
I don't see that happening though, as people generally can't see what they have in common and build on that. We all generally attack over differences, most of which are so small we end up just looking completely foolish by the end when the smoke clears.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shay's Rebellion.No votes for free blacks, Catholics or Jews. The Republic was stillborn, and the corruption we smell is a 226 year old rotting corpse.....

Oh, it's not that bad! Throw a little lime on it and people won't notice the smell for another 50 yrs. or so.

Latest Discussions