What's your favorite gi

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What kinds of gi/kimonos do you guys prefer? How many do you own? Do you patch them up or keep them plain?

My favorite so far is my Gameness Pearl. I don't know why, but the fit and durability have exceeded any other gi I've owned. They're mostly pre-shrunk, hold up well to washing and drying and fit me well.

I picked up a ShoYoRoll and it was very, very comfortable... particularly the pants. But I ended up selling it to a light weight at school because it shrunk up too much for me. If I get another one, I'm going to get it a size larger than recommended. Same thing happened to my keiko raca. I can still wear it, but it wouldn't work at a competition anymore. I'll probably end up selling it, too.

I have a black lucky gi that I've had for a while now. I don't wear it very often, but it's okay. Heavier than the pearl.

Other gis I've owned/own: Padilla and Sons goldweave, Koral MKM, HCK competition single, Gameness Platinum, and a couple of off brands that I've liked. One budget gi I think is a great value is Douglas' gold weave available for like $65 at www.bjjgi.net. I reviewed it for him on my blog, and if you're looking for an inexpensive gi, this is a good one.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let's see...I have a white Karate gi, and a black Karate gi. Both of which are to small to wear now. A fancy black Kung Fu uniform, and a couple of plain black Kung Fu shirts. And a double weave, white Judo gi. I don't have any patches on them, and would rather keep it that way.

I prefer either the plain shirts, or the black gi. I don't like white uniforms at all, as they get dirty really easy, and they're practically see through. And my fancy Kung Fu uniforms have those big sleeves, which can get caught on my partners arms when working with them.

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as gis for BJJ go all I have on hand are an Atama and an OTM. I'm a big fan of the OTM.

I have a Spartan on the way so I'll know more on it shortly. Thanks for the link to the Razorbacks, might have to give them a go for the price.

As for patching, I keep one with school colors on it and leave the other clean.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only own one uniform...Its the one Tigers Claw made for Combat Hapkido instructors..I've only have a few patches on it...The American Flag, a Police Officers Memorial patch and the one on the front that says Assistant Instructor..

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As far as gis for BJJ go all I have on hand are an Atama and an OTM. I'm a big fan of the OTM.

I have a Spartan on the way so I'll know more on it shortly. Thanks for the link to the Razorbacks, might have to give them a go for the price.

As for patching, I keep one with school colors on it and leave the other clean.
Douglas at Razorback BJJ, is a very nice guy. I'm sure he'll give you a good deal.

I have mixed feelings about OTM. I have a lucky gi... an earlier black one, and it's a cool gi. Well made. But worth the cost? I don't think so. It's like buying designer clothing. :)

Never heard of Spartan. Can you share a link? What put you on to that brand?

I just dyed a friend's new Bad Boy pro light gi. That is a NICE gi. And now it's a nice, purple gi! :D I didn't realize until last night after I dyed it that it retails for $200. I'm not sure I would've done it if I'd known how spendy the gi is!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I only own one uniform...Its the one Tigers Claw made for Combat Hapkido instructors..I've only have a few patches on it...The American Flag, a Police Officers Memorial patch and the one on the front that says Assistant Instructor..
That's cool. One uniform wouldn't cut it for BJJ. Guys tend to do that for 4 or 6 months but if you're training 3 or 4 times per week, you really need more than one uniform.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
for training, especially in California weather during the summer, Vulkan pro light Gi. the rubber lapel is a plus when drying the gi as well.

http://www.vulkanstore.com/products/NEW_Vulkan_PRO_Light_Gi_WHITE-1-32273

for competition, i like the MKM Koral Competition Gi.

http://www.koralusa.com/dados_loja_produto.php?cd_produto=01&cd_modelo=035&cd_cor=01
Has your Vulkan shrunk at all? I've read that they're 100% pre shrunk, but that's not always true. A guy at my school bought one that fits him perfectly. If it shrinks at all, he's going to have problems with it. :) Looks like a really nice gi, though. VERY light.

I saw in GracieMag that there's a new design for the MKM gis. You seen them?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has your Vulkan shrunk at all? I've read that they're 100% pre shrunk, but that's not always true. A guy at my school bought one that fits him perfectly. If it shrinks at all, he's going to have problems with it. :) Looks like a really nice gi, though. VERY light.

I saw in GracieMag that there's a new design for the MKM gis. You seen them?

That's what I hate about BJJ gis. They are kind of stiff if you air dry them, but if you dry them in a dryer they shrink like you wouldn't believe. What is a good preshrunk brand that is comfy and not like wearing a punching bag (canvas).

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's what I hate about BJJ gis. They are kind of stiff if you air dry them, but if you dry them in a dryer they shrink like you wouldn't believe. What is a good preshrunk brand that is comfy and not like wearing a punching bag (canvas).

Gameness Pearl doesn't shrink much, if at all. Korals are also pretty good about shrinkage, and I've read that the new vulkan doesn't shrink much.

If you're going to air dry, I recommend using white vinegar (or some people swear by cider vinegar) in the rinse. A lot of times, the stiffness from air drying is residual soap and the vinegar helps get it all out.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've got a Century Gi, but I've really been thinking of going with Piranha. I hear good things about them & even though everybody else has a Century brand, its hot as **** to wear. The pants are good, but the jacket is quilted so its like wearing a big blanket.

Also I hear the belts are good & have a good snug fit when you tie them. Plus at just around 50 bucks it looks like good quality instead of the close to 70 dollars I paid for my Century brand.

Anybody have one that can share what they think?

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't purposely go fight in Kimono, unless you're Samurai Jack.

I wear just traditional plain white DOGI. If there is any patching or writing. It's my schools logo.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wouldn't purposely go fight in Kimono, unless you're Samurai Jack.

I wear just traditional plain white DOGI. If there is any patching or writing. It's my schools logo.
BJJ gis are often referred to as kimonos. The terms are interchangeable, at least as far as the Brazilians are concerned.

Do you train BJJ?

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BJJ gis are often referred to as kimonos. The terms are interchangeable, at least as far as the Brazilians are concerned.

Do you train BJJ?
Nope I don't train in BJJ.

How come they refer to GI as a Kimono(this is misleading)?
Lol why not just call it GI(for short) or DOGI?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nope I don't train in BJJ.

How come they refer to GI as a Kimono(this is misleading)?
Lol why not just call it GI(for short) or DOGI?
Who knows? They speak Portuguese, not Japanese. They also, according to some, don't spell jiu jitsu correctly. Just the way it is. :)

Kind of like when people tell me that Stephen isn't actually how my name should be spelled.

Latest Discussions