Whats poppen

inkypaws

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, its more of age range rather then belt rank. So my little sister who does taekwondo, 8 years old, cannot hit in the head and they have to wear a a visor similar to this one
images
I have worn it once or twice because I was missing a mouth guard. Not my favorite thing in the world.

I have an old jaw injury from a car accident when I was young. It settled (but still not sitting in socket) after dealing with wisdom teeth issues in early twenties. I think I would rather wear that contraption to protect my jaw then wear a mouth guard. Not that far along in my training to have thought about it, so nice to know.

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have an old jaw injury from a car accident when I was young. It settled (but still not sitting in socket) after dealing with wisdom teeth issues in early twenties. I think I would rather wear that contraption to protect my jaw then wear a mouth guard. Not that far along in my training to have thought about it, so nice to know.
Definitely not my first choice for a fight, but considering your position it might be the best choice. The only reason I really don't like it is because its hard to see your opponents feet (Which I rely heavily on) and it gets kinda foggy when you breath hard. But other then that you don't need a mouth guard and its pretty safe against punches to the throat.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

We have gone to tournaments where face shields are mandatory for kids....my son hates the face shields.

Now that is the 1st thing we look at before we go. If they require face shields we go elsewhere.

And in regards to the mouthpiece if you double boil it and fit it correctly the mouthguard might not give you any problems.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only got one up right now cause I just started back up recently, It's kinda cringy but I would be more then happy to share it with you.

I do realize I did really bad in it and I could use a lot of help, I took a 2 year break, as I transferred from west to italy and certificates were all messed up that's why I had to wear a green/blue in the tournament, But I do have a certificate for a red belt and traditionally I am a red belt. (Just to clear up any confusion)

Please do share your opinions and criticize me as much as you want, and hopefully I can learn more. :)

:EDIT: I am in the blue
Just watched the first half...disclaimer: I do not practice TKD, or do any WTF-style competitions. Some of this may not apply.

Ignoring the differences that I think are stylistic, there are two things I would work on: Angles and combos. You seem to be fighting very linearly-you guys move around the map, but when you attack it's just directly head on, neither person seemed to be utilizing angles that much IMO. You also seem to either only throw one shot and wait, or throw a bunch of kicks in a row, without focusing on defense, or actually setting up kicks. It can be useful to throw one shot for a purpose of the second shot, and when you do 'rush', make sure you're still defending. Last thing you want is to rush and than get a nasty kick to the head while you're doing so.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definitely not my first choice for a fight, but considering your position it might be the best choice. The only reason I really don't like it is because its hard to see your opponents feet (Which I rely heavily on) and it gets kinda foggy when you breath hard. But other then that you don't need a mouth guard and its pretty safe against punches to the throat.
I’m so much slower at reacting when I watch my opponent’s feet. So are a lot of others I’ve asked. One very, very highly skilled karateka (William Oliver from Fighting Black Kings) said many times - (paraphrased) “if you watch my feet, I’ll kick you in the head before you can do anything about it.” My CI trained alongside Oliver many times. He had to spar him bare knuckle at the end of his 1st and 2nd dan tests. As great as Oliver was, he was reportedly an even better teacher. I’ll take his word for it.

And watching the feet is a great way to never see punches coming.

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’m so much slower at reacting when I watch my opponent’s feet. So are a lot of others I’ve asked. One very, very highly skilled karateka (William Oliver from Fighting Black Kings) said many times - (paraphrased) “if you watch my feet, I’ll kick you in the head before you can do anything about it.” My CI trained alongside Oliver many times. He had to spar him bare knuckle at the end of his 1st and 2nd dan tests. As great as Oliver was, he was reportedly an even better teacher. I’ll take his word for it.

And watching the feet is a great way to never see punches coming.
Welp not many punches in any fight I been in recently, But thats not saying they're not coming in the near future.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you considered a custom made mouthpiece from a dentist? I just got fitted for one yesterday. It’ll cost $80 when it comes in. It’ll probably fit you far better than a store bought one. Most decent ones I’ve seen in stores at around the $30 mark, so while $80 is almost triple that amount, it’s not an absurd price if it fits well.

My problem with bite and boil guards is they never cover the farthest back molars. I caught a hook kick in the jaw a few weeks ago, and my back teeth grinded despite having my mouthpiece in and my mouth shut. It wasn’t too bad nor too hard of a kick, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

OP
Professor Random

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MA/TKD “fight” or actual fight? Most people on the streets aren’t going to throw very many kicks.
I don't plan in getting in any street fights as my teacher discourages it. So mainly tkd fighting.