What's a dojo darling?

K

Kirk

heheheh .. this is going to be one loooooong thread.

It's a negative label used by instructors of children who's parents
want their kids to be overnight superstars. Often complaining of
the lack of promotion of their child, or of the fact that their child
had to do pushups for punishment when this child or that child
did not. Like backseat drivers, they try to tell the QUALIFIED
instructors how to do their job, yet wouldn't have a clue if ever
called to do the job themselves.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

please post definitions and examples here

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

I thought that refered to the ladies who show up for class that we might be able to take out after class?:confused:

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad I've only taught adults and haven't had to deal with that. Though many adult students seem to think they know more than a qualified instructor too. I demonstrated a technique to a guy in his first class and he asked "Doesn't that leave your ribs exposed?" while I was standing perpendicular to him with that ribcage way out of his reach. Or the first time I demonstrate a front leg kick and it feels a little awkward for the beginning student. "This kick doesn't feel right, I should step through to get more power. That is what I would do in a real situation." At that point I go get the extra black belt I carry in my bag and hand it to them and tell them that they obviously are more qualified than I and should teach the class.

S

shihantae

Turner,

I have had students like that. I think it can apply to both children and adults.

Peace,
Tae

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What would you call a school superstar? What I mean is usually a junior who is very good at the arts and everyone tells them so...especially thier own parents. As a result this junior is really big headed and the parents often complain to the instructor or complain at tournaments and challenge judges decisions that their child lost. Stuff like that, is there a label for this kind of kid?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

S

shihantae

That is called a Prima dona. They usually do not last at any school very long. At least not if the school wants to maintain a sense of stability.

I have never cared to much for those kind of people, any more than I care for the dojo darlings.

:D I guess that is why I ask them to leave.

Peace,
Tae

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

What would you call a school superstar? What I mean is usually a junior who is very good at the arts and everyone tells them so...especially thier own parents. As a result this junior is really big headed and the parents often complain to the instructor or complain at tournaments and challenge judges decisions that their child lost. Stuff like that, is there a label for this kind of kid?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
Yep,
Poor Looser

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Turner

I'm glad I've only taught adults and haven't had to deal with that. Though many adult students seem to think they know more than a qualified instructor too. I demonstrated a technique to a guy in his first class and he asked "Doesn't that leave your ribs exposed?" while I was standing perpendicular to him with that ribcage way out of his reach. Or the first time I demonstrate a front leg kick and it feels a little awkward for the beginning student. "This kick doesn't feel right, I should step through to get more power. That is what I would do in a real situation." At that point I go get the extra black belt I carry in my bag and hand it to them and tell them that they obviously are more qualified than I and should teach the class.

Is it wrong to ask these types of questions? I've asked at times
after class or before, but first saying, "sir, I'm having trouble
understanding such and such technique" and as I'm being shown
I would say something like "doesn't that leave your ribs
exposed?" ... because that would be the reason why I don't
understand the technique. I've also had techs that didn't "feel
right" and so far, each time it was because I was doing something
wrong. I'd die if my instructor threw a b.b. at me and told me to
teach! I have the uptmost respect for him! I sure hope I'm not
implying to him that I feel that I know ANYTHING better than
he!

T

tonbo

Now *here's* a bit of irony, no? I am posting an answer to Kirk's post.....he's a Black Belt (on martialtalk), and I'm an orange....LOL....;) (Okay, but I *am* a BB in real life, so I guess I can answer, huh? Hehe)

I think the intention is the key with that, Kirk. If you are asking legitimate questions, such as "Won't this leave my ribs exposed?" in an attempt to get an *answer*, then it is a worthwhile question. If it is a prompt so that you can show your own knowledge (or what you *consider* knowledge), or demean your instructor, then it's asking for a beating (verbal or otherwise).

There have been many times that I have asked questions of that nature, or pointed out that I was uncomfortable with the ways that some techniques were performed. Every time, I was shown *why* we do things that way, and it made sense. My instructor was glad that I was questioning, and glad that I was thinking. It was all in the way I had asked. If I came out and said, "That's STUPID. We should do it THIS way.", then I would expect to be shown the door with the blessing to start my own school somewhere far away.

Questioning is good--as long as it is a quest for knowledge. When it becomes a battle of knowledge, then everybody loses.

Peace--

F

fist of fury

I agree I ask my instructor question alot and he knows I'm just trying to learn it's all in the attitude and most seasoned instructors can pick up on that.

T

tonbo

Don't ask a question, get an answer......

...and then question that answer....

OH.....and if a senior instructor (high BB rank) answers a question, it is probably not a good idea to follow their response with "Are you sure?".

And another piece of advice: NEVER say something brilliant like, "I don't think that would work in the real world. I saw in this movie once that ......". Using movie-fu as a foundation or support of your arguments/questions is NOT a good idea.

Yep, had it happen before. :shrug:

Peace--

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya it's all about how you ask. Some people ask and it's obvious they have no respect for the instructor and others ask and its obvious they just want to understand.

One example comes to mind for me. I was teaching hip throws at a branch were I teach out of a health club...that means that health club members can pay a small fee and jump in to take the class. (can you imagine the problems that caused?) Anyway so were doing the hip throws and one of the guys who comes around once a month for the past year says "thats the improper way to do it, I was shown a better way in Judo" and I answer with "well this isn't a judo hip throw, it's a street defence hip throw but why don't you do it your way so we can see the difference?" So he comes to the front of the line to throw one of the students and he just stood there trying really bad technique and didn't even budge his partner...not an inch, he had no obvious leverage. So I say to him "ok why don't you try it our way and see how that goes?" So he tries it our way and easily throws him. (this isnt a knock on judo, just a guy who prolly took 2 judo classes and was professing to be an expert.) Needless to say he made the biggest *** of himself for no other reason than his ego is completely out of control. People need to check that crap at the door if they truly want to learn anything in life.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I love answering intelligent questions in class. As a teacher, I'm probably the master of tangents because someone can ask a question and I'll go so in depth that I wind up miles away from where I started... But it does have to be a question that was meant to get a real answer. When walking about leaving the ribcage exposed in my earlier post it was basically the same thing as standing square and facing a person and asking them why they were leaving their back exposed... <its not, you have to get through the rest of the body before you can hit the back, or in this case the far ribcage.>

The other person was just being blatantly obnoxious. There wasn't a single technique that I did that he didn't want to rip apart and find some minor little flaw with, which I don't mind as long as you are doing it to 'get intimate' with the technique... but in this case he was just being a jerk and butting heads to make himself feel like a man or something and was getting in the way of the rest of the class. An ego deal like Damian is talking about.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Turner

You rock. LOL!

S

Shinzu

i have seen parents coach their kids from the sidelines while the istructor is trying to teach class. very dissrespectful if you ask me.

plus the parents don't have a clue since they never did it themselves. once again a prime example of people who think they are the teacher... and who actually is.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I let 'em know who is boss right away!! Don't I Douggie! hee hee But I sure like the belt n bag technique........ I gotta try that if and when that ever happens.......... that was great.

D
:asian:

Latest Discussions