Chevy Volt Barely Makes 2011 List of Greenest Vehicles

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While I'm not surprised that the Chevy Volt, which is rated at about 37mpg once the gas engine is engaged, didn't do well, a lot of people are surprised.

http://www.plugincars.com/chevy-volt-barely-makes-2011-list-top-12-greenest-vehicles-106816.html

The non-profit also took a hard look at the Volt's operation on the road. “The Volt running on gasoline doesn’t have terribly impressive fuel economy. It’s rated at 35 mpg in the city and 40 highway,” said Therese Langer, ACEEE’s Transportation Director. “If you think of it as a vehicle that is roughly two-thirds electric and one-third gasoline, as an electric vehicle it does pretty well, but not quite as well as the LEAF.”

The "two-thirds EV and one-third gas" approach stems from data about typical driving patterns of American drivers, as used by the Society of Automotive Engineers and the Environmental Protection Agency.

“As a gasoline vehicle, the Volt does okay, but there are a whole lot of gasoline vehicles that beat it out," said Langer. "So when you take the fact of those two things together, it comes out about where you think.”
Emphasis above mine.

Long and the short of it is, if you're looking for a short range commuter vehicle, you can do better for cheaper. If you're looking for a long range commuter vehicle, you can do much better for cheaper. If "better" is defined as lower emissions, high fuel economy, versatility of design, and interior space, there are cars that just... do it better. I've said before, the Volt seems to be an example of American automakers just kind of... missing the market. Trying to be all things to all people and ending up being mediocre all the way around.