What would you buy?

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have some money and as a man I like to spend it on cool things :)

Now I am trying to decide on buying either butterfly knives or a wooden dummy.

Thing is Im not even on to the 3rd form never mind dummy of knives form.

But I would still like one of these as I can still use them for training for example knfives for gaining punching power and dummy for practicing drills. Not to mention both would look cool.

What would you get and why?

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
for me it would be the dummy any hour of the day!
even if you dont know the dummy form, it is at very least a training partner for you adjust your stance shapes etc with when you are alone.
it will also build your strength and power in your arms.
its a great way to drill, but not at the expense of a real person to punch lol
matsu

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with you both, a Mook Jong for practicing and toughening arms up :)
Oh and a pole for strengthening arms.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
The dummy is the most important tool in the Wing Chun system. You can use makeshift things to represent the butterfly swords or a long pole, but a dummy is the most important apparatus in Wing Chun . Especially if you don't have a partner to train with on a regular basis. From simple drills, perfecting proper position of punches, strikes, parries, footwork, structure, to the form itself, a dummy is the most useful tool in Wing Chun. You can learn the system without it, but if you ever have one, you'll wonder how you ever managed to learn Wing Chun without it.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get the dummy mate , you will probably get bored with the knives after a while.
But the dummy is so versatile that you will always be coming up with new and creative ways to train on it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have some money and as a man I like to spend it on cool things :)

Now I am trying to decide on buying either butterfly knives or a wooden dummy.

Thing is Im not even on to the 3rd form never mind dummy of knives form.

But I would still like one of these as I can still use them for training for example knfives for gaining punching power and dummy for practicing drills. Not to mention both would look cool.

What would you get and why?

Sure, the dummy is more useful, but other things need to be factored in such as your living situation. Do you have a place for your dummy? Are you settled, or do you move around a lot?

I got my dummy from Koo Sang when I was a graduate student renting a room. I barely had room for my bed, a desk and the dummy. Having this strange object practically hanging over my bed was a bit tough to explain to girls I dated. Probably gave me a bit of an odd reputation! As the years passed, I had to drag it around with me and often had to store it outside... which was not at all good for the wood. After I got married, one time my wife used the arms to back up some projects she was drilling holes in and bored into the arms themselves. During the years I had to stop training, she also tried to put it out for the Good-Will truck to carry off. And finally, the custom fitted leg got lost in another move. Alas!

Still, the story has a happy ending. Now that I've been back to training for a few years, I located another leg (from the guy who sold me the original) that's a perfect fit. I refinished the weathered teak, and built a new stand on my back porch. Yes it's outside, but under a roof and I keep it well covered when not in use... which is now most of the time. It's addictive, you know. On the other hand my kung-fu brothers keep ribbing me, asking if my wife would please set it out on the curb again, and give them a call. Not bloody likely!

So my advice is, get a good dummy if you can. And, especially if you are a knife collector, get a nicely crafted set of Bart Cham Dao too. And if you do, be sure and find our what kind your system uses first. In my lineage we prefer them short, narrow, pointed, and light. Others may prefer the larger, fat-ended choppers more typically associated with Hung Gar. Even though you might not use them for years, it's good to get the right knives for your style. Good luck.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also if you are married, hide the number to Goodwill....just in case.

OP
dosk3n

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I live in a flat with a balcony. Its not very big really the wall is about the same size as the frame that the dummy will be on and this is where I plan to put it. Ive checked and I think this would be about the minimum space needed to practice the dummy form once I got to it so I think this would be fine.

Our school has a carpenter who creates dummys if we need and can personalise them. I am going to meet up with him and discuss a way of making the dummy easily removable from the wall incase I need space. Obviously the supports would still be attached to the wall but if we can fid a way to make the trunk easily removable this would suite my circumstances better.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in a flat with a balcony. Its not very big really the wall is about the same size as the frame that the dummy will be on and this is where I plan to put it. Ive checked and I think this would be about the minimum space needed to practice the dummy form once I got to it so I think this would be fine.

Our school has a carpenter who creates dummys if we need and can personalise them. I am going to meet up with him and discuss a way of making the dummy easily removable from the wall incase I need space. Obviously the supports would still be attached to the wall but if we can fid a way to make the trunk easily removable this would suite my circumstances better.

If space is an issue with a dummy (or lack of it), make the dummy into a free standing dummy.

http://www.woodendummy.net/

The Great Lion Company has been making free standing dummies for several years. The owner (Sihing) Clarke Thorton makes the legs where they are adjustable for height. And since the dummies are free standing (with rollers), you can easily move them around the room to get them out of the way or store them out of sight in a closet. Great idea.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Geezer that's hilarious! hey it's a great tool wish I had one,wives are something aren't they,mine is always trying to get rid of my "things" I take up 2% of the house...well, she has the rest..you feel me? (ha,ha,ha!)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Checkout My Jong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8JvDG2Ods

Its posted on CL Philly.

Thanks

Really nice looking jong. I can see a lot of work went into the building and setup. But, is there a reason you mounted it with such short retaining slats, not very wide. Most mook yan jong's are mounted or held up by slats (wooden rails which run through the sides of the dummy to hold it up) that are appr. 5 feet long. And they are mounted pretty solidly to a frame or wall. The reason they are that long is so there is some flex (spring) in the jong, which responds much like a person does when you engage them. You don't want the jong to be too solid or immovable, but also you don't want it to move around easily when you touch it. Thus, the spring or flex which gives you some resistance.

caesjong

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This took me about 125 plus hours to build. You can spend days on just sanding and finishing. Also red oak is not easy to work with (cut plane chisel drill sand). This stand was just a variation of the standard. Traditional stands take up alot of room of which I don't have. I built another jong out of solid ash which is mounted on my squat rack. I'm in the process of making another jong out of black walnut (JKD style). This will also have a differnet mounting system. Suprisingly this stand has plenty of flex. Not from the slats but from the frame and base. Also, I design my jongs not to have to much play in the arms (less or equal 1/4 inch). Some jongs I've played (buick yip highend marble and other chinese imports) tend to have too much play for my taste.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, I design my jongs not to have to much play in the arms (less or equal 1/4 inch). Some jongs I've played (buick yip highend marble and other chinese imports) tend to have too much play for my taste.

My dummy... an old Koo Sang teakwood model... has quite a bit if play in the arms. One thing I've considered is putting a piece of thin rubber, something like a short sleave cut from a piece of bicycle inner-tube aound the tenon (the square part of the arm that inserts into the socket). This would slightly reduce the play and perhaps reduce the noise which annoys my wife and my neighbors. Anybody try this?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . .Suprisingly this stand has plenty of flex. Not from the slats but from the frame and base. . . . . .

Watching the video, I saw the frame moving. That is why I made the comment about flex (spring). I wouldn't call what it was doing flexing. You need the dummy to spring, as you apply energy, it returns the energy you give it. It must flex or spring with you, not just move.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Watching the video, I saw the frame moving. That is why I made the comment about flex (spring). I wouldn't call what it was doing flexing. You need the dummy to spring, as you apply energy, it returns the energy you give it. It must flex or spring with you, not just move.

I'm assuming what you are referring to the forward and backward spring/bouncing motions of the jong .. yes?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the forward and backward moving and shaking and bouncing. . . . . there is no springing.

I "spar with you" :boxing: cause there IS spring action going on there. When you hit/punch/palm the jong in an straight line, the impact cause it to move backward (displacement), ... and does it not SPRRRING back to its original position when the force had dissipated ... visualize releasing an compressed SPRING. :p

Latest Discussions