What was the Root Cause of the American War of Independence?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As it's a topic that comes up every now and again here at MT, I am sure that many are well aware of my semi-comedic stance on the treachery of the ungrateful and ingracious colonists who entered into a self-serving revolt against their rightful rulers, the British Crown.

However, I wondered if people were generally aware of why the infamous 'taxation' came about that was behind the "No Taxation Without Representation" rhetoric?

It is because of those darned Frenchies, yet again :D. Here's a thumbnail sketch of 'bullet-points' from the BBC website, an article on 'historical' myths that covered many bases but this is the one that's likely to be of interest to our trans-Atlantic cousins:

Myth: The American colonists had nothing to lose but their chains

The American War of Independence began as nothing of the sort.

It was essentially an argument between loyalist and radical British subjects over trade and taxes, only gradually acquiring the rhetoric of civil rights and liberties. Even today that argument is mired in chauvinism.

London protested that a derisory £1,400-a-year in revenue was being gathered from the 13 colonies to pay for having been rescued by Britain from French autocracy in the Seven Years War.

To call this rescue "absolute despotism", as the Americans did, was absurd. The protested Stamp Acts were imposed throughout the empire, as were other trade restrictions, while the colonists enjoyed their own assemblies and were for the most part autonomous.

As a colony with self-governing rights, America was far better treated than Ireland.

Any and all of these could be talking points or maybe a general conversation on how 'history' is very much shaped by perspective and repetition of tales.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
One could probably present a very coherent argument that the "revolt" was started by upper class members of society getting sick of a government trying to keep taking their money, much like we have today.

Like anything else, no one wants to admit the real reason and will romanticize it. If you win, then that is the accepted history. For example, now many (if not most) people consider the civil war to be all about slavery and nothing else. Both sides to every story, and both are correct from their views if that is how they actually felt about it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calumny! Vile Lies! Ick!

http://books.google.com/books?id=cG...enjamin franklin&pg=PA167#v=onepage&q&f=false

THE WORKS OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN; CONTAINING SEVERAL POLITICAL AND HISTORICAL TRACTS NOT INCLUDED IN ANY FORMER EDITION, AND MANY LETTERS OFFICIAL AND PRIVATE NOT HITHERTO PUBLISHED; WITH NOTES AND A LIFE OF THE AUTHOR.

By JARED SPARKS.

VOLUME IV.

BOSTON:
H1LLIARD, GRAY, AND COMPANY.

THE EXAMINATION OF DR. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, IN THE BRITISH HOUSE OF COMMONS, RELATIVE TO THE REPEAL OF THE AMERICAN STAMP ACT, IN 1766.

Q. Do you think it right that America should be protected by this country and pay no part of the expense ?

A. That is not the case. The colonies raised, clothed, and paid, during the last war, near twenty-five thousand men, and spent many millions.

Q. Were you not reimbursed by Parliament?

A. We were only reimbursed what, in your opinion, we had advanced beyond our proportion, or beyond what might reasonably be expected from us; and it was a very small part of what we spent. Pennsylvania, in particular, disbursed about five hundred thousand pounds, and the reimbursements, in the whole, did not exceed sixty thousand pounds.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What was the root cause...that's easy....This was the root cause

lgpp30320+a-full-glass-of-guinness-guinness-beer-poster.jpg

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:grins: An image hidden where no non-authorised person can get to it - sounds like absolute despotism to me :lol:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's not my fault if you don't update you PC (Flash, Shockwave, Microsoft, etc.) :D

can you see this one

220px-GuinnessBeer.jpg

Causes of the American Revolution

Two

Three

Four

The American Revolution was the result of a series of social, political, and intellectual transformations in early American society and government, collectively referred to as the American Enlightenment. Americans rejected the oligarchies common in aristocratic Europe at the time, championing instead the development of republicanism based on the Enlightenment understanding of liberalism. Among the significant results of the revolution was the creation of a democratically-elected representative government responsible to the will of the people. However, sharp political debates erupted over the appropriate level of democracy desirable in the new government, with a number of Founders fearing mob rule.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I recently read a biography of George Washington. Really, really well written.

The image that came through of his motivation for revolution was largely due to money. He was in and out of debt in a cycle he despised. The colonists were beholden to the banks and traders in Britain for many finished goods. They produced raw materials, for which they were underpaid, and then at the mercy of the banks and traders for inferior, out of style or shoddy finished goods. I don't have time to post much on this, but in short, Washington was up to his ears in debt, even though his properties were a model of self-sufficiency, and from his own writings clearly blamed his debt on the unscrupulous dealings of his British representatives.

In many ways, the control and business practices of the banks today mirror the conditions which compelled Washington to join the revolution, and the motivations were very similar in many ways to those who join the Occupy movement.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently read a biography of George Washington. Really, really well written.

The image that came through of his motivation for revolution was largely due to money. He was in and out of debt in a cycle he despised. The colonists were beholden to the banks and traders in Britain for many finished goods. They produced raw materials, for which they were underpaid, and then at the mercy of the banks and traders for inferior, out of style or shoddy finished goods. I don't have time to post much on this, but in short, Washington was up to his ears in debt, even though his properties were a model of self-sufficiency, and from his own writings clearly blamed his debt on the unscrupulous dealings of his British representatives.

In many ways, the control and business practices of the banks today mirror the conditions which compelled Washington to join the revolution, and the motivations were very similar in many ways to those who join the Occupy movement.

Who was the author? Also, did it spend alot of time on his military campaigns?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Life-Ron-Chernow/dp/1594202664/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319569908&sr=1-1

I
t was this one. While the details of his pre-revolutionary military career aren't written about in much detail, he goes painstakingly through the revolution and references the earlier campaigns often.

In addition to the debt cycle, the lack of recognition and disrespect by the British military was also brought out in the book. It's pretty clear that the author believed that Washington could very well have been a career British officer had circumstances been just a bit different.

Edit: To add that this book was really interesting to me because the picture of Washington as a reserved, stoic figure was really blown apart. The picture of Washington that Chernow portrayed was of a dynamic, charismatic, passionate figure who struggled throughout his life to rigidly control his outward demeanor. Really great book.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps the colonists realized it was silly to belong to a country that had people who insisted they be called kings and queens, lords and ladies and besides, the food was better over here and people didn't talk in that funny accent like they did over in England.:ultracool

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Life-Ron-Chernow/dp/1594202664/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319569908&sr=1-1

I
t was this one. While the details of his pre-revolutionary military career aren't written about in much detail, he goes painstakingly through the revolution and references the earlier campaigns often.

In addition to the debt cycle, the lack of recognition and disrespect by the British military was also brought out in the book. It's pretty clear that the author believed that Washington could very well have been a career British officer had circumstances been just a bit different.

Edit: To add that this book was really interesting to me because the picture of Washington as a reserved, stoic figure was really blown apart. The picture of Washington that Chernow portrayed was of a dynamic, charismatic, passionate figure who struggled throughout his life to rigidly control his outward demeanor. Really great book.

Interesting. If this is the author I think he is, he wrote a book in the early 1990s called The House of Morgan that I read for a project in college. Its an interesting history of JP Morgan's family and 20th century finance. I think that was one of the books I gave away before I moved. Wish I hadn't, I thought it was very good.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps the colonists realized it was silly to belong to a country that had people who insisted they be called kings and queens, lords and ladies and besides, the food was better over here and people didn't talk in that funny accent like they did over in England.:ultracool

as in 'plawnt' instead of plant?

I'm just playin', y'all

I've nothing against the people or the accent. Actually, I think its cute. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure of the root cause, but it began because folks from Massachusetts kept starting fights. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not sure of the root cause, but it began because folks from Massachusetts kept starting fights. :)

Speaking as a guy that grew up in Massachusetts all I have to say is....Them's Fightin' words :slapfight::boxing: Peoople from Massachusetts would never DO such a thing :D