What the student is responsible for.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is something I read on facebook today. I think it puts into perspective the reality of training anything for whatever reason. (This refers to things are valid to their function)

"My Sifu once said that when it comes to student development in martial arts, 75% of the training is up to the students, while 25% is up to the teacher. This is an old phrase many teachers are aware of: “If you stop rowing your boat, it will drift backwards downstream” Jik Seui Haang Jau 逆水行舟. "

Thoughts?
This is true insofar as what is being taught can facilitate 'improvement' in the desired or expected direction. It's up to the teacher to be clear about what to expect from their teaching vis a vis 'results'.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also imitate me and sometimes I see my own flaws in their mimicry.
Oh, yeah. This is where I really find out about things like where my gamer's slouch starts to show up in my MA, or where I've developed a habit of dropping a hand to demonstrate it's not active at that point (but it really should be in guard position). Any time I see two students doing the same thing wrong, I have to check my own technique before I correct them.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. This is where I really find out about things like where my gamer's slouch starts to show up in my MA, or where I've developed a habit of dropping a hand to demonstrate it's not active at that point (but it really should be in guard position). Any time I see two students doing the same thing wrong, I have to check my own technique before I correct them.
I have a habit of pulling my leg in during certain movements where I am changing direction; the kata doesn't call for that, but when I'm doing the kata with the kids, my gait is sufficiently longer than theirs that I'll run them over if I don't. Then I saw them doing it. Hmmm. Had to recalibrate how I demo the kata so that they don't mistake my adjustment for part of the kata.

D

Deleted member 39746

Id presume that quote means the bulk of practise is done at home or without the direct supervision of the teacher? If thats the case, its one of the things i have seen a lot of contention about.

Without laying out actual rules to follow, effectively the rights of thr student and the rights of the teacher, i cant really comment. both need to follow the law as they are not above it, thats about all defacto can be said.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id presume that quote means the bulk of practise is done at home or without the direct supervision of the teacher? If thats the case, its one of the things i have seen a lot of contention about.

Without laying out actual rules to follow, effectively the rights of thr student and the rights of the teacher, i cant really comment. both need to follow the law as they are not above it, thats about all defacto can be said.
Nothing in this thread has been about rights or law, that I've seen. It's about responsibility.

D

Deleted member 39746

Nothing in this thread has been about rights or law, that I've seen. It's about responsibility.
Obediance to rules is a responsibility. My point is more specfic towards the rules/laws part, but in gneral it is: If no doccuemnt is presented laying out what is expected from you and the teachers, its a shrug and just obediance to the laws of the land. (which stay constant no matter where you are in the jurisdiction.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obediance to rules is a responsibility. My point is more specfic towards the rules/laws part, but in gneral it is: If no doccuemnt is presented laying out what is expected from you and the teachers, its a shrug and just obediance to the laws of the land. (which stay constant no matter where you are in the jurisdiction.
You didn't actually bother to read what you're responding to (the OP), did you?

D

Deleted member 39746

You didn't actually bother to read what you're responding to (the OP), did you?

I did, there were two points/statements in my reply. Which would bring up if you read my orignal reply.

Needless to say i am not going to back and fourth "no you".

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The quote just simply highlights that your teacher cannot do the training for you. If you want to be strong then you are the one who has to lift the weights and do the training. You can't get stronger if your teacher does those things for you.

Latest Discussions