What Religion??

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, there is no direct link between modern Druids and the Druids of antiquity. It is a sort of "reconstituted" religion. That doesn't make it less, of course. Just more recent.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd believe that. Something like how you have an emergence of people worshipping ancient Greek or Norse gods and the whole Neo-paganism movement.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
You might want to look deeper. ;-) I have found text on Druids over 2000 years old. Pre Dating Christinanity
It only pre-dates Christianity in the British Isles. Remember that we Christians also follow the Old Testament. Our beliefs are older than 2000 years.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
searcher said:
It only pre-dates Christianity in the British Isles. Remember that we Christians also follow the Old Testament. Our beliefs are older than 2000 years.
Not many Christian I know follow Old Testament. Some think that if they did, they wouldnt be "true' Christians.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Not many Christian I know follow Old Testament. Some think that if they did, they wouldnt be "true' Christians.
And those I feel truely sad for.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
From the Christian view: Mosiac law was done away with Christ. However, some of the apostles continued to visit and participate at the temple even after the ressurrection.

Many Jewish rituals were done away with by Christians but the some things in the OT are still practiced (adherence to 10 commandments, the greatest and second greatest commandment).

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know what religion I would qualify as a follower of, but I have a crippling fear that somewhere, for some reason, there is a duck staring at me.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was raised Apostolic Pentacostal (Christian). I do not agree with their views, now that I am an adult. I guess I would consider myself a "Spiritualist" to some degree. I find I can relate more to (what little I know) Mikkyo, Tendai, and possibly Shinto (don't know enough about it). I have no interest in Organized Religion.

However, I might add that I find there is a commonality throughout most if not all religions, then they become dramatically different.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Atheist, of the "there's no reason to believe in god" school (as opposed to "there is no god").

Like PeachMoneky and Adept said, most religions teach postivie values. I respect that.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Loki said:
Like PeachMoneky and Adept said, most religions teach postivie values. I respect that.
I would add to the above that most religions teach that a person is a spiritual entity and not just a body (a "meat stick").

Yours,
Dan Anderson

K

kenpochad

can any one geuss iam the same religion that SGM Parker was..

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
I would add to the above that most religions teach that a person is a spiritual entity and not just a body (a "meat stick").
I dunno, meat stick sounds good to me. Beef jerky, anyone?

But seriously, I doubt it. Not to be disrespectful or anything, but I'm just finishing Dawkin's Selfish Gene and the theory is contagious (a successful meme, if you will).

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm what you could call a Neo-Perennialist, Neo-Hegelian, or Neo-Neo-Platonist :)D). My beliefs are very much in alignment with the "integral" model of philosopher Ken Wilber.

That being said, the traditional religions I tend to draw the most insight from are the Mahayana Buddhism traditions --- especially Zen and Vajrayana.

Now --- since it was brought up --- regarding Dawkins and evolutionary psychology as a whole (I'm a psych major myself), I tend to treat all that with a very, very skeptical eye. This isn't the first time in human academic history that the proponents of a new school or system of thought are somewhat too "enthusiastic" about many of their claims. My guess is that, over time, evolutionary psychologists will increasingly "temper" or "moderate" the claims of their school, much like neo-Freudians and neo-Marxists have done.

Laterz. :asian:

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I know there is going to be some debate about this topic. some people wont answer this question, and thats fine. Its a simple question really. War is not needed.

I am a practicing Shinto.
link to Shrine

I put all of my faith in Jesus.

Christianity is not about "religion", it's about relationship.

This relationship has helped all areas of my life - from family, to marriage, to kenpo, to education, and so on.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me? Taoist with some Buddhist leanings.

I attend a Pentacostal church because my wife likes it that way. She knows my soul; but, I tend to keep quiet about it in church. Don't wanna rile the Pentacostals.

I admire any system that strives to be find a way to be better humans.

Latest Discussions