What Really Happens In A Gunfight?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Several weeks ago, I was talking with Handguns editor Dave Arnold about this same topic. When I told him of some of the trends that I had seen, he asked me to write an article about the myths of gun fighting. I had a few reservations about this, as I never intended to do this. I have not catalogued it, nor have I tried to put percentages on how often something happens. Quite frankly, there seems to be no set pattern on what people remember about their confrontation. What I have found, however, is that there are certain trends that seem to occur, in some fashion, over and over again. With this is mind, I agreed to Dave's request to report on what I have been told. I am not trying to go head to head with the research of others, nor am I trying to become the guru of gun fighting. It is information that the reader may use as they see fit. If it helps someone somewhere, that's great."

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/what_happens_gunfight/index1.html

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fist timers,
* zone out on one situation or person only,
* forget all of their previous training,
* fail to hear commands given,
* become either, very hyper/over active or very timid,
* won't fire at someone or empty their gun,
* tend to let the excessive noise get to them,
* forget about by standers,
* forget about their partners,
* worst of all, play the macho hero role and get other people hurt.
There's more but this is enough for now.
:sniper:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
not to mention the air gets stinky all of the sudden...

in my only experience in a gunfight (multiple shooters... believe me you don't wanna know... really)... focus does get narrowed down to the one who is shooting at you once they're taken care of it's on to the next... (fortunately only one person was hurt amazingly enough... probably all too scared/freaked out to actually shoot straight)...
self preservation definitely kicks in and you're busy ducking and dodging trying to get a good shot and not get hit yourself.

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the thought process of most people should be altered slightly. Gun fight=Fight involving a gun. Every fight a armed police officer is in is defined as a gun fight, regardless if the firearm was discharged or not. Just having the firearm within reach elevates the risk of lethal force being used.

This is one of the ideas that has really helped in keeping my safe on a daily bases.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really like your article!!! I think one of the biggest parts of any conflict is the mental aspect before something happens. If you carry a gun you have to think about shooting someone with it. A lot of guys I know seem to carry their weapons as if they are accesories to help them look cool and have never really thought about what they would do if they had to draw down on someone, let alone put a round into another person. Others treat the weapons as something they have to carry and do not realize the danger they are in just by having a gun on their hip.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In law enforcement when both the police officers and suspects do not discharge their firearms it is called an armed confrontation not a gun fight. An armed confrontation can include all of the various types of impacting and edged weapons.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In law enforcement when both the police officers and suspects do not discharge their firearms it is called an armed confrontation not a gun fight. An armed confrontation can include all of the various types of impacting and edged weapons.

So you can't really bring a knife to a gunfight.... ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Within arm's reach I'll take a big knife over the hogleg.

I quote the wisdom of the late Hugh Bollers:

"If you need to carry a gun, carry two and a big knife. If you don't need a gun at least have a .25 automatic. And if you need a knife to go into that bar don't go into that bar."

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A knife weilding person gun run approx. 32 feet before the average person can draw a firearm from a standard holster. Note - this is if the gunner is unaware that an attacked is about to happen.
When using a level two or three type saftey holster the distance can be increased up to 40 feet.
Gunners, be aware at all times.

Arizona Angel

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We just had a "shoot-out" here in our little town last night. Dude holding shotgun at police officers is now dead. Police officers are okay (at least physically).

airdawg

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In law enforcement when both the police officers and suspects do not discharge their firearms it is called an armed confrontation not a gun fight. An armed confrontation can include all of the various types of impacting and edged weapons.[/quo

When I'm writing reports, I don't use the word Confrontation when it was a fight. What it's called, or not, does not change what it is. It was the level of hypervigelance required for responsible "gunners" that I attempted to write about. Being prepared mentally to use lethal force.

What happens to people in a gunfight is, in my experience, equivalent to a vehicular collision. There are certain things that happen, but it is not the same from person to person. And if the same person experiences more than one armed "confrontation", the physiological occurrences differ greatly in some people. Exp. Watching the bullets in slow motion and I could hear my watch ticking are my personal favorite, or perhaps punches in slow motion when I'm not squeezing the trigger in the fight.

One of my good friends rolled up on a man with gun call. He turned the corner and saw a bullet enter his crown vic through the windshield. He claims he watched it slowly fly past his shoulder, through the seatbelt and out the B post.

The level of preparation, training and knowledge, is key. Thanks for posting the article.

Latest Discussions