87 year-old captures home intruder

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a side note from the Center for Disease Control:

During 2000--2002, the Task Force on Community Preventive Services (the Task Force), an independent nonfederal task force, conducted a systematic review of scientific evidence regarding the effectiveness of firearms laws in preventing violence, including violent crimes, suicide, and unintentional injury. The following laws were evaluated: bans on specified firearms or ammunition, restrictions on firearm acquisition, waiting periods for firearm acquisition, firearm registration and licensing of firearm owners, "shall issue" concealed weapon carry laws, child access prevention laws, zero tolerance laws for firearms in schools, and combinations of firearms laws....

The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of ANY of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes.

This report can be found on the CDC website.

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Personally, I find that a little had to believe. If thats the case, how can you keep track of the guns??

Can you provide some links to those claims??

Mike
Check the link michaeledward was kind enough to provide. It is accurate other than the fact that some states (Missouri and Ohio) have passed legislation that allows concealed carry since that information was gathered.

michaeledward said:
I don't know if kenpotex's assertion that "most places" don't require registration or permit would hold up to scrutiny or not. However, it is interesting to look at the laws in various states.
Click on the states in the link you provided (btw, thanks for posting this, it's a neat little reference source). To my knowledge, all states that allow concealed carry (except for Vermont and Alaska) require some sort of license. The majority don't require a permit to purchase nor do they have registration. A number of them require a permit to purchase a handgun. One of these is Missouri (where I currently live) and if the procedures in other states are like MO's they are nothing but a money making operation (and pain in the butt) due to the fact that they don't actually accomplish anything.

Moving on...

As far as the original topic, Yes the guy was in violation of the law since he didn't have a FOID. Aside from that, I think his use of the weapon was justified based on the information I have seen. Personally I think he should have used it sooner and more decisively. If it had been me, the guy would have left in a body-bag rather than the back seat of a sqad-car.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Check the link michaeledward was kind enough to provide. It is accurate other than the fact that some states (Missouri and Ohio) have passed legislation that allows concealed carry since that information was gathered.

Click on the states in the link you provided (btw, thanks for posting this, it's a neat little reference source). To my knowledge, all states that allow concealed carry (except for Vermont and Alaska) require some sort of license. The majority don't require a permit to purchase nor do they have registration. A number of them require a permit to purchase a handgun. One of these is Missouri (where I currently live) and if the procedures in other states are like MO's they are nothing but a money making operation (and pain in the butt) due to the fact that they don't actually accomplish anything.

Yes, I saw that he posted that after my request. I checked it out.

Moving on...

As far as the original topic, Yes the guy was in violation of the law since he didn't have a FOID. Aside from that, I think his use of the weapon was justified based on the information I have seen. Personally I think he should have used it sooner and more decisively. If it had been me, the guy would have left in a body-bag rather than the back seat of a sqad-car.

Personally, I think its important to know the laws of SD in the state that you live in. We live in a very sue happy world. Cops take a 'beating' everytime they shoot someone. "Why did you shoot my son?" "Why did you have to kill him?" and on and on and.....

Again, I'm not a gun owner, but I would think that the person using the gun, would have to make sure that they were justified in using it. The same for empty hand SD. Do I need to break someones arm and leg, take an eye and dislocate their shoulder just because someone pushes me?

Mike

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No registration at all here in WA state.

I think it's criminal for the authorities to hassle a decent old guy who defended himself in his own home, and then DISARM him. Outrageous, but here's the reason we pro gunners call IL "ILL-ANNOY".

In Washington, there is no requirement to retreat from assault on the street, and if someone breaks into my home and is any threat to me and mine, (If my Rottweilers don't get them) I am fully and legally justified in using lethal force, and I will, with my 12 GA loaded riot gun or .45 ACP 1911 pistol

If I'm not there and my lady is alone, 24/7 she has her .357 magnum revolver handy. Just call her "Dirty Harriet". ;)

Latest Discussions