What martial arts book are you currently reading?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm reading this right now..

ListonBook.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm rereading Secret Fighting Arts of The World, by John F. Gilbey.

It's awesome. Where else could you get the Ganges Groin Gouge, Parisian Halitotic Attack, The Macedonian Buttock and the Dinky Little Poke all in one place?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Introduction to Karate-Do Its inner techniques and secret arts...by Toyama Kanken. Translated by Tobey Stansbury.

Excellent book

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know how I didn't list this... ah well, I finished this one a few weeks ago.. incredible read. The brother of the creator of the Karate Kid movies haha, experienced Goju ryu practitioner, goes into depth as to kata, training etc, and how much more beyond the surface it goes. Really got a lot out of it, right up my alley.
FB_IMG_1629811654627.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
But now currently reading this, which I bought 15 years ago but never got round to! Not even sure why I bought it at the time, but now I know, I am only ready NOW and interested only now in reading it haha
Resized_20210824_212608_4422.jpeg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know how I didn't list this... ah well, I finished this one a few weeks ago.. incredible read. The brother of the creator of the Karate Kid movies haha, experienced Goju ryu practitioner, goes into depth as to kata, training etc, and how much more beyond the surface it goes. Really got a lot out of it, right up my alley.
View attachment 27148
I recently had a long conversation about the value of poomsae in Korean MA's. Due to their relatively young age many do not see or understand the value of learning forms in depth. I argued that of Korean the form sets, the Palgwe forms had much more depth than any others, especially the newer Taegueks that really only have value in competition. While older, the Pinon (Pyong Ahn) forms are very basic in movements, evolving from the school/academy days of Korean military.
There are tons of books that talk about the Taeguek forms in regards to the static movements/patterns but very few that talk about any real depth or application, essentially because it does not exist. In a nutshell, it is left up to the instructor or student.
It is understandable why there is so much confusion about them.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently had a long conversation about the value of poomsae in Korean MA's. Due to their relatively young age many do not see or understand the value of learning forms in depth. I argued that of Korean the form sets, the Palgwe forms had much more depth than any others, especially the newer Taegueks that really only have value in competition. While older, the Pinon (Pyong Ahn) forms are very basic in movements, evolving from the school/academy days of Korean military.
There are tons of books that talk about the Taeguek forms in regards to the static movements/patterns but very few that talk about any real depth or application, essentially because it does not exist. In a nutshell, it is left up to the instructor or student.
It is understandable why there is so much confusion about them.
Yeah absolutely, especially so many forms teaching such incredible principles that really bring your training to life too.

And this book goes even further than that into emotional themes and the energy of different forms, a way of connecting deeply to yourself and the moment, and more 'spiritual' ways of approaching them and using it as a tool for working through your own stuff etc haha. Not everyone's cup of tea but I quite enjoyed it

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not currently reading a Martial Arts book, but I am gathering notes - direct quotes, actually, from our forum. I'll probably self publish a book titled.....

The Art of Being a PUSSY.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finished the previous one finally... now onto this! It's the English translation of Goju Kensha founder Ohtsuka Sensei's 13 Volumes - Instructor Manuals. I've met the translator of this and he's just ridiculously knowledgable, and this text is so comprehensive... can't wait to get stuck into it!

Screenshot_20220529-225830_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Latest Discussions