what makes "krav" krav?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here we go again.

Read gpseymour’s rebuttal. If you’re fighting against your will/consent, it’s the next phase of self defense. The soft phase of SD failed, not SD PERIOD. In SD, there’s times when there’s absolutely no opportunity to talk your way out of it, yet it’s still SD. Think walking into your home, and an intruder immediately rushes toward you. A woman opening her car door and an assailant grabbing her from behind without any warning. I could keep going, but what’s the point.

Edit: Just thought of a situation at the school my wife teaches at: a student was walking down the hallway to leave school. Another student was waiting in a recessed doorway and jumped him from behind. By your logic, the kid that was attacked was fighting and not defending himself. In British-English, one word - bullocks.

bollocks.

Bullocks are a sort of cow. that ironically dont have bollocks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mostly agree, never wrestled but I think I agree. I would say that a big part of being tough is a mindset. But a mindset without ability is just a go-cart that thinks he is a racecar. So, off to the races.

The thing is if you strike. And you go flat stick you just get knocked out. Which doesnt really take all that much effort at all.

With grappling you can just go untill someone quits. I mean even if you get pinned 20 times. You in theory could continue. So it becomes much more of a mental torture game.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can work with that, but I'm defiantly not having "SD is fighting" ;)
I am okay with that, Paul. My definition differs from the norm (most of what you define as self-defense, I call self-protection, to have a neat dividing line for discussions with students), but that’s just about how I use the word.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Self defense/personal protection is a multi-layered process. Fighting is but one of the many layers; a lot of people place a greater emphasis on fighting compared to the other layers.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fighting is part of self-defense, not a failure of it.
Oh, Paul, you'll never give up will you.

What self defense is is pretty much written in the words, "self defense' (defending yourself). To defend yourself requires some sort of attack to defend against.

Words mean things.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, Paul, you'll never give up will you.

What self defense is is pretty much written in the words, "self defense' (defending yourself). To defend yourself requires some sort of attack to defend against.

Words mean things.
That’s where my use of the term flows from. Most folks (at least most on here, and probably in general) include prevention in the scope of the term.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My formulation is "Most of self-defense is not fighting, most fighting is not self-defense, but there is an area where they overlap."

There is a lot of competition that isn't fighting as well. Diet, exercise, mental prep, finding the venue.

Or it is all fighting because you need one to be good at the other.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That’s where my use of the term flows from. Most folks (at least most on here, and probably in general) include prevention in the scope of the term.
Not sure who you're replying to as they are on my ignore, yes most do include some form of prevention, but for others, mostly the people on my ignore list, it's only SD when someone in bar is throwing uppunches at them. Anything related to prevention or avoidance doesn't count as SD to them.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure who you're replying to as they are on my ignore, yes most do include some form of prevention, but for others, mostly the people on my ignore list, it's only SD when someone in bar is throwing uppunches at them. Anything related to prevention or avoidance doesn't count as SD to them.
Proud to be on the ignore list of people that habitually make up lies and attribute them to other people. However, it simply isn't self defense if there is nothing to defend against.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hey. Hey. I am ignoring you!

Can you hear me?

Why wouldn't self defence include avoiding someone throwing upperpunches at them?

Seems like an oversight there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you hear me?

Why wouldn't self defence include avoiding someone throwing upperpunches at them?

He isn’t saying defending agains those isn’t SD. Just that there’s more to it than the physical defense.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think the semantics on this has been beaten to death in so many threads already. but at least i am leaning a lot about cattle. :joyful:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Can you hear me?

I think I’ve joined his cute ignore list too, although I never got the “you’re now on my ignore list” line that’s somehow supposed to hurt and/or offend me. It’s quite sad and pathetic.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
67095DFE-44A0-4EF0-9144-5D74024BDF4A.jpeg
i think the semantics on this has been beaten to death in so many threads already. but at least i am leaning a lot about cattle. :joyful:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He isn’t saying defending agains those isn’t SD. Just that there’s more to it than the physical defense.

There is more to physical defence than physical defence.

A pro fighter doesn't just go fight everyone. He fights guys he needs to fight.

So where is the separation?

Latest Discussions