Is the Krav Maga taught in Israel the same..

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is the Krav Maga taught in Israel the same as that that is taught outside of Israel? The two are different according to one Professor and founder of a RBSD system. How does he know that? He writes he was told that by Krav Maga practitoners who live in Israel. And when he taught in NYC he writes the Krav Maga he was shown from those from Israel back in the 1970's was much closer to his system than that that is currently taught in the USA. I have to say the Krav Maga I was taught in the USA seemed to have very low standards, getting only 70% of a technique right was good enough to pass and get your yellow belt. Every other system I studied required 100%. In Israel, is 70% good enough to pass?

Leanne

White Belt
Reaction score
I found that there is a lot of difference taught between Israeli Krav Maga and what is taught in the US (although it's really a case by case thing) I am learning from Ran Nakash at http://www.kravmagabootcamp.com -he was the chief instructor of Krav Maga in the IDF. That's good enough for me!

Enjoy

Leanne.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I found that there is a lot of difference taught between Israeli Krav Maga and what is taught in the US (although it's really a case by case thing) I am learning from Ran Nakash at http://www.kravmagabootcamp.com -he was the chief instructor of Krav Maga in the IDF. That's good enough for me!

Enjoy

Leanne.

Do you know any of the specific differences? I do think the Krav Maga I took was rather watered down in the grading. Getting only 70% right meant you got your yellow belt, I have since thrown it away because it doesn't mean anything to me. I think you should have your techniques down 100% before passing, as was the case in Tae-Kwon-Do, American Combato, and Wing Chun.

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you know any of the specific differences? I do think the Krav Maga I took was rather watered down in the grading. Getting only 70% right meant you got your yellow belt, I have since thrown it away because it doesn't mean anything to me. I think you should have your techniques down 100% before passing, as was the case in Tae-Kwon-Do, American Combato, and Wing Chun.

Krav Maga is more about reacting then "having technique down 100%". There are no kata's or BS forms to remember. If your belt test was done right (which I doubt it was unfortunately), it should've been around 60%+ drills as opposed to static things. I know that the 70% thing is a KMAA standard, I honestly don't know what "percentage" we need to pass over at IKMA, as it's mostly drills and combat situations you need to get through for our tests...

Anyway, to answer your question: It depends. It depends on the school, the association, the instructor, etc. About 8 or so years ago, a group of "American Black Belts" in Krav Maga went over to Israel to train, they couldn't even go one-on-one with Israeli Orange Belts, let alone the Israeli Black Belts. At IKMA, our goal is to be the same as those in Israel, and so far, we've been reaching our goal.

Sandpaperhead

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in Israel and I have to tell you that different Krav Maga systems/clubs exist and have different emphasis. The guys I train with who do Krav Maga don't even have belts but that's because of the club they're training at. However, they did have level testing and it all depends on what your group's emphasis is on.

Latest Discussions