What makes a technique?

D

Disco

We've all seen or heard the claims from different martial arts styles, that they have "X" number of techniques. Some styles pride themselves on having an enormous number of techniques. Just what constitues a technique to you. How many movements make up a technique? Example; single outside block. Is this a technique on it's own, or must there be something else added?

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
great question. to me, techniques are a series of basics set to motion to defend against a specific attack. technique is also method of doing something specific. to answer your question about the block being a technique. i wouldnt think so, but opinions will differ. look at it like building a house. the basics are your foundation, the walls, and the roof. the technique is everything in the house. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disco said:
We've all seen or heard the claims from different martial arts styles, that they have "X" number of techniques. Some styles pride themselves on having an enormous number of techniques. Just what constitues a technique to you. How many movements make up a technique? Example; single outside block. Is this a technique on it's own, or must there be something else added?

You're right, there are alot of techs. and chances are, you'll never have to use all of them. As for how many movements make up a tech? IMO, it could be as few as one or as many as ten, it all depends on the individual and the situation. I've ran tech. lines with lower belts and have thrown out attacks at them, in which they don't know a preset response. They stand there with that deer in the headlights look, not knowing what to do. I'd say to them, "Do you know how to block, punch, kick and move?" Of course they say yes, so I say, "Well, do it!!!"

A few important things to keep in mind.

Quality over quantity and keep it simple!

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
umm.. does it really matter?

I got three things, movement, timing and strategy.

Everything comes from that.

A jab is a technique, but one with many uses and many ways of throwing it. So is it one technique or a whole bunch?

And another question, is a technique defiined by what it looks like, or by what it does?

Back to that Jab, I can throw it as a defensive move, I can throw it to set up something else, I can throw it to hit and hurt, etc. So are all those the same techniques? Cause they are very different, even if the movement is similar...

Now I got an arm bar - purpose is the same no matter where or how it is applied, Whether I pull it from guard, side mount, standing (flying arm bar) Whether I drive my hips through, have it under the arm pit or crunch in while pulllling the elbow in, it has the same function, and the same name.

Personally I think it is kinda silly to pride yourself on having 1000's of tools that do very little. How about 50 that you can actually work with and be able to use for many things.

The other thing you realise as you get skilled is that individual techniques are pretty useless. What counts is set ups, combinations, timing and strategy.

Once again, imagine that tool bench with 1000's of tools, and a worker that can't build a birdhouse...

Of course the unknowing public can easily be manipulated into buying things if they are presented in the right way.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are really only two techniques, outward/follow up and inward/ follow up. The variation of attacks and wheather you end up inside or outside gives rise to the naming of specific combat situations.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many times have you sparred a beginner and watched them hurt themselves? This is precisly why we have techniques in the first place. They exist to work on motion and form.
Sean

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
very often.

It's called doing the wrong thing and getting he hit in the nose. ;)

Doing the right thing hurts him, doing the wrong thing hurts you.

Give them a 3 sectional staff and things get messy :D

OP

Our version of techniques goes from the begining of a physical attack, through a defense, and an offensive movement to a point of escape.

OP
A

Aaron Little

Technique = Tool you use to accomplish a given task. Whether that task is to defend against a strike or to take someone down, mount them and armbar them. It is all just tools.