what makes a sifu?

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
at what point in Wing Chun studies are you considered a Sifu?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By being a great teacher. When you are able to bring a student up close to your level. (it think, right?) Anyways, I figure there's alot of politics that go into that one.....
Maybe depends on the federation your in.
But, to me a Sifu is a good teacher, one that shares all his/her knowledge with their students.
Yet, I'm sure you could pay your dues, and get a grandmaster to make you a sifu when they see fit to grant it to you.
That is a great question! 'Cause honestly, I've been confused about that one too! lol!

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
The definition of sifu is teacher. Technically a sifu can be anyone that teaches anything with great skill. But to answer your question usually when one reaches black sash he can start teaching and be called a sifu. Of cource the higher black sash you are the more legit and serious you'll be taken.

OP
B

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
si je, i'm glad i'm not the only one confused. lol

what's Black sash level? (i'm not being a wiseguy. Don't have sashes for rankings). Is that after learning all the forms, weapons included and years of experience?

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
si je, i'm glad i'm not the only one confused. lol

what's Black sash level? (i'm not being a wiseguy. Don't have sashes for rankings). Is that after learning all the forms, weapons included and years of experience?

Instead of using belts like Japanese styles and Korean styles the Chinese arts (kung fu) use silk or satin belts that are called sashes. A 1st level black sash is like saying a first degree black belt. You would say I'm a first level black sash in shaolin kung fu or I'm a 3rd level black sash in .....

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have Grades 1-4, (then blue t-shirt for Si-Je or SiHing) and then Levels 1-5 (Black t-shirt for "technician" Level 1-4) then I Red shirt for Sifu.
No sashes. just T-shirts and black pants. (white shirt for Grades 1-4)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is some stuff I found that this one School dealing with becoming a Sifu:

Toughest Martial Art Instructor standards in the
United States​
<BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>Fight test #1 - The student assistantbecomes eligible for the first fight test one month after achieving Yellow Belt and cannot leave the Yellow Belt without passing this test. The student assistant must fight 3 people separately--one-minute rounds (the fight tests are at the end of classes). If the student assistant is hit, or strikes the attacker too forcefully, or defends without counter attacking the attacker--he/she fails the test. In fight test #1, the attacker can only use hand attacks. There are too many martial art instructors who could not pass our first fight test. Don't get me wrong, all of them can fight, but what separates the skilled fighter from the unskilled fighter? At Lee's Chinese Martial Arts Federation, the unskilled fighter is one who has no option but destruction (under attack they are so afraid and mentally out of control that they strike back with destructive power). This means the instructor cannot fight without hurting his attackers or his students. When you have the power to fight and not destroy, then and only then do you have options under a real attack.

Fight test # 2 - The student assistantbecomes eligible for the second fight test one month after achieving Green Belt. The student assistant must fight three people separately--one-minute rounds. If the student assistant is hit, or strikes the attacker too forcefully, or defends without a counter attack, the test has been failed. In fight test two, the attacker can use both hand and kick attacks.

Fight test # 3 - <FONT face=Arial size=2>The student assistantbecomes eligible for the third fight test one month after achieving Blue Belt. The student assistant must fight two people simultaneously, one two-minute round. The attackers can kick, punch, grapple and even take the student assistant to the ground. If any of the above takes place the student assistant will fail the test. The student assistant must have the skills to control the attackers without harming them. If the student assistant strikes an attacker with force, the test is failed.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'MS Mincho'">Lee's Chinese Martial Arts Federation

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In a nutshell...

When you are skilled and qualified to teach on your own. And thus be able to create a new Wing Chun family.

Some have more specific terms though, like pasing a certain certificate level or such...

OP
B

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok. so after learning the whole system. not just, say for example, knowing the empty hand forms, dummy form and no weapons.....
i was just curious because i thought i saw somewhere on the internet that you can be considered a Sifu after knowing the empty hand forms. i can't find the link anymore to reference to....

thanks

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two main ways to become a Sifu.

First: Your Wing Chun Kwoon where you learn at can make you a sifu. For instance you get a Certificate I believe Si-Je Said. Or your Sifu tells you now that you can teach others since you acheive mastery level.

Second:Your skill In Wing Chun is extremely good or someone wants to learn what you know. So they asked for you to be their teacher. Than you become a Sifu.

Bruce Lee became a Sifu because of his fighting Ability and people wanted to learn from him. People came to him an asked to be his Students. Many of early Wing Chun Grandmasters started teaching this way. They had some challenge fights that they won making a name for themselves. An then people wanted to learn Wing Chun.

In reality you could make up your own imaginary Martial Arts System. If what you create was successful in defeating skilled fighters who have practiced for like 20 years in separate arts. Then people would want to learn yoru new art an how it works?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is something of great pondering for me. Hubbie is Level 5 technician twice around by two different masters. But, he's not affiliated with either federation anymore.
So, Hubbie has no teacher right now.
Me and hubbie have been teaching on our own for 4 years now.

When he left the other two federations (not due to a fall out with the masters, just no money to pay federation dues or whatever. No more ability to continue to pay for instruction, seminars or whatever. We be poor folks! lol!)
He was and is, I guess, a Dai-SiHing. But after instructing on his own for 4 years what is he now?
After competing in Tai Je Legacy several times, and san shau (7-1 record) what is he now?
What would he need to do to achieve "Sifu" in a honorable reconizable manner to the WC/WT community?

He knows all the forms, open hand, weapons, and wooden dummy.
Things that make you go,.... HUMMMMMM?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What makes him a Sifu is people come to him to learn the Wing Chun System. An He can fight with it an teach others to fight with Wing Chun.

As Long as people come to him asking for him to be their instructor he will be a Sifu.

A man with students is a Sifu!

A man with no students is just a Wing Chun Figher!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure that is truely correct, but I think there's going to be alot of politics and crap talking if he just busts out and starts calling himself Sifu.
His students call him that because it's easier for the student instead of explaining all the details. He shares his rank and lineage, time in art, and time in teaching, but we're not sure how other "big wigs" in art will react.
I don't think he cares much (except for his two teachers) but, what can ya do?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, There was this one Sifu who supposely didn't complete the entire system. He had the three forms but didn't have the weapons. An not all of the wooden man. But his teacher was Chinese. His Teacher had him open a school an teach.

He was allowed even though he didn't have the entire system. Of Course his teacher later had a falling out with him over personal issues. Like Arrogance. His teacher gave the rest of Wing Chun to one his student's students. Who told that he would make him better than his sifu. Any who. The guy still teaches. An I don't think his top student can beat him yet even though Grand master taught him more than him.

Another thing the guy did was challenge other schools. They would challenge and Win. He defeated top sifus and his lower ranking students beat upper level students from other schools.

I think your hubbie could get his top students to great fighting stature, Then challenge other Wing Chun schools as well as other Martial art schools to sparring matches. After he and his students start to win these bouts. Then his name will ring out among the people. He will respected for his title. An those who dare say well he aint really a sifu will always have to cowtow and say he great fighter. "I can't beat him." "But I still say he aint no sifu even though I cant beat him fighting."

This is How Yip got students. From fighting.

Do a google on Wing Chun masters becoming sifus by Fighting and challenge matches.

I'm sure that is truely correct, but I think there's going to be alot of politics and crap talking if he just busts out and starts calling himself Sifu.
His students call him that because it's easier for the student instead of explaining all the details. He shares his rank and lineage, time in art, and time in teaching, but we're not sure how other "big wigs" in art will react.
I don't think he cares much (except for his two teachers) but, what can ya do?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hubbies going in the cage.
We're going to pay the fee for registration with the TAMMA for a fighter to fight in the entire state of Texas. Anywhere, any cage fight.

Then, pay for the fee to register his "school" of MMA/wing chun club to hopefully get around the "he has to train with a reconized gym for a month" clause. (too damn expensive, and these guys always want a 6 month to 2 year contract signed for $175 a month! Si-Je don't sign contracts or join federations, not doing that.)

I talked to the president of TAMMA and he seemed like a really straight up guy, nice fellow.

We just need someone to "train" him for a month and sign off on the paperwork for the TAMMA registration so he can fight. Which is weird kinda, he's already been trained. So, I'll have to get more info on that after the holidays.

I talked to the pres. about him fighting indepent, and I think he's going to work with that.
Just get a medical, sign off on "training" him for a month. (probably the personal weight trainer he's using), registration and off he goes!

He wanted to challenge MMA and BJJ guys when we had a school, but absolutely NOTHING came of that. They sent some people to check out him and the class, test him out a bit, and they never came back or said a word.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, some WC guys from another school came too. And after about 3 months training with us confessed that they were sent by their Sifu to check him out. They decided that they liked Hubbies style better and stayed on. Now, hubbie has a reputation for "stealing" students.
HAHAHAHHAHAHA!
Can you steal a gift?

Some came and said we were too agressive, and went back to the Sifu who sent them.
Having the school was like living in a 1970's kung fu movie!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did they say you guys were like a seventies kung fu movie?

Oh, some WC guys from another school came too. And after about 3 months training with us confessed that they were sent by their Sifu to check him out. They decided that they liked Hubbies style better and stayed on. Now, hubbie has a reputation for "stealing" students.
HAHAHAHHAHAHA!
Can you steal a gift?

Some came and said we were too agressive, and went back to the Sifu who sent them.
Having the school was like living in a 1970's kung fu movie!

OP
B

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is something of great pondering for me. Hubbie is Level 5 technician twice around by two different masters. But, he's not affiliated with either federation anymore.
So, Hubbie has no teacher right now.
Me and hubbie have been teaching on our own for 4 years now.

When he left the other two federations (not due to a fall out with the masters, just no money to pay federation dues or whatever. No more ability to continue to pay for instruction, seminars or whatever. We be poor folks! lol!)
He was and is, I guess, a Dai-SiHing. But after instructing on his own for 4 years what is he now?
After competing in Tai Je Legacy several times, and san shau (7-1 record) what is he now?
What would he need to do to achieve "Sifu" in a honorable reconizable manner to the WC/WT community?

He knows all the forms, open hand, weapons, and wooden dummy.
Things that make you go,.... HUMMMMMM?

so i guess from what you're both saying, it's skill,experience and having the knowledge to teach students..

Si-Je, sounds like your hubbie has that along with knowing the whole system.

i just found this school online and this is how they break it down....
http://www.practicalwingchun.com.au/the_style/grade_structure/structure.html

it shows different levels of instructors and sifus.

Latest Discussions