What makes a good Jeja?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking of a conversation my instructor and I had last year before my promotion test. Part of the conversation was about being a good student. I've tossed the concept around a bit since then and was curious as to what people here think makes a good Taekwon-Do student.

I have a few ideas of my own, but I'd be interested in hearing anyone's input on the subject. Thanks.

Pax,

Chris

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ability to question and listen. To take instruction without ego. The ability to keep coming back class after class. Willingness to practice....and work on the boring repetitive stuff rather than the cool flashy stuff.

People who do that tend to make gre3at students...as opposed to the prodigies and the athletically gifted (which smeitmes make great students, but just as often seem to eityher get too full of themselves or quit when the going gets tough).

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes a good student? mmmmmm there are several things to me and are these: 1.-Puntuality to atend his/her clases, 2.-To be clean, you know hair cut,nails cut,clean dobok,etc, 3.-To be humble, 3.-To listen and understand, 4.-To be polite, 5.-To practice with effort, 6.-To be friendly with his/her clasemates.

What I dislike in a classmate or student: 1.-To be lazzy, 2.-bad manners or languaje, 3.-to be a primadona (the one who feels tha last coke in the desert), 4.-to not be quiet during the class, 5.-to fool around.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...as opposed to the prodigies and the athletically gifted (which smeitmes make great students, but just as often seem to eityher get too full of themselves or quit when the going gets tough).
Ah yes the gifted ones. Just talked about this the other day. The reason they quit when it gets tough is because they do not know how to work hard. Everything comes easy to them in the begining so they look like the ones that are going to be great. But at some point it will get harder, and the kids that work hard from the begining keep working hard as that is all they know. But the ones that have to now start working hard can't and find it difficult. Then they are no longer the best and see people that they use to run circles around even with them and they get frustrated and their confidense drops as well as their spirit. So they quit rather than buckle down and work harder. They just don't know how.

This is why from the begining you have to make sure you push the gifted as well. You can not just let them have an easy time of it. If they can do all the basics really really easy then you must give them something more challenging from the begining. This way you are teaching them how to work hard. Then they will be good students and great leaders later.

OP
C

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I've got the non-athletically gifted part down. I don't think that alone will help me be a good student though :)

It is funny, though. I remember being not all that great when I first started. I wasn't worse than the average white belt, or anything, but I do recall some pretty talented guys that started right around the same time as I did. They are all gone now.

I do tend to think that starting out with just average athleticism and an instructor and several black belts who were (and still are) phenomenal technicians really motivated me when training. I do have a bit of a work ethic when it comes to getting down new techniques, even though there are many that still give me headaches.

Pax,

Chris

OP
C

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
4.-To be polite,

>snip<

Manny

I agreed with pretty much everything in your post, but I did want to highlight this aspect. Being polite, IMO, is a perfect example of a Taekwon-Doin working on the Tenet of Courtesy. Humility, being willing to work hard, etc. are all excellent and so important. Being polite, having courtesy, following etiquette or however you want to phrase it is a perfect example of following the Neo-Confucian influence on a lot of Korean arts, I think.

Pax,

Chris

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes a great student: lets see maybe the fact that they are the one that come in early and stay late to fully understand everything. The ones that have question and not affaid to ask them. The ones that do not mind putting in the time to achieve ones goal.

What make a great student: The instructor that takes the time to teach every aspect of the Art they are learning one that does not mind answering question and staying late to explain.

What makes a great student: The student that understands the instructor is not perfect and never will be but willing to except that they are the instructor and they are on there own personal journey as well.

What makes a great student: One that understand Tae Kwo Do is a way of life and is one of a never ending journey. The journey to be perfect knowing we cannot and will not ever be perfect.

These are the ones that make a great student and I am fortunite to have alot of them at my school, all the others seem to weed themself out. I thank God everyday for the students I have and there dedication, how about you. Do you care enough to give praise and thanks for them being there?

OP
C

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes a great student: The student that understands the instructor is not perfect and never will be but willing to except that they are the instructor and they are on there own personal journey as well.

This is an excellent point. I think some people expect their instructor to be perfect in everything. I think it safe to say that an instructor, even one who is seen as a Master in his art, is someone who is on their own journey. They may be far ahead on the path, or only a step or two ahead, but they are there to guide the student along. They act to point out the path and to perhaps encourage the student in his journey, although they can't take the journey for the student.

I remember reading many years ago in a MA magazine column about two Americans who were able to go to Japan to study Aikido at the Hombu Dojo while Morihei Ueshiba was still alive. One of them recounted going outside during a break between classes to buy noodles from a street vendor and seeing O'Sensei arguing rather heatedly with the vendor over being short changed. His response when he saw the two wide-eyed American students? "What were you expecting? A god?"

It's good to keep in mind that instructors are mere mortals. Of course, it's good for the instructors to remember this at times too ;)

Pax,

Chris

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry put it well. I certainly don't want to take away from what he said.

My simple answer is "a willingness to learn." Which doesn't mean that a student chucks their brain at the door, but rather, they try, ask questions, & give themselves to the process of learning the Art.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry put it well. I certainly don't want to take away from what he said.

My simple answer is "a willingness to learn." Which doesn't mean that a student chucks their brain at the door, but rather, they try, ask questions, & give themselves to the process of learning the Art.

Amen to both you and Terry!

Latest Discussions