What M.A. teach

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Besides teaching fighting techniques should or does martial arts teach or stress how to behave; things like manners, respect, humility, and honor? Or is that something you just see in the movies (karate kid)?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides teaching fighting techniques should or does martial arts teach or stress how to behave; things like manners, respect, humility, and honor? Or is that something you just see in the movies (karate kid)?

Those are side effects, they come from training any sport in a healthy environment, they just get referred to as "sportsmanship" in other circles.

They are definitely important, as without them people get hurt.

However I do not think it is something we should lecture about or force in any artificial way.

A person can snap to attention, march like a soldier, recite pledges and creeds, "Yes Sir!" with enough enthusiasm to make a drill Sargent proud, and still have poor sportsmanship. Sometimes it even becomes part of the problem, rather then a solution it seems.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Teaching/learning, offering/taking. Not sure if the 'ma's teach' anything...ma's are only a vehicle...a means and opportunity...for transformation. What comes along for that ride is essentially what one finds in one's self.

The idea that it's 'top down'...teacher to student is partially correct...as in the teacher CAN be an example to model one's self after in his/her interactions and teaching. But even more interesting is the idea of 'teacher as mirror'. At some point, practice becomes an inward journey...of finding one's self...or even one's 'not-self'.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on the instructor, the style you are learning. Yes training can shape you into something different but there has to be a desire to change. My guess woudl be if a person has taken the first steps to train , then they are willing.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all depends on the instructor, the style you are learning. Yes training can shape you into something different but there has to be a desire to change. My guess woudl be if a person has taken the first steps to train , then they are willing.

I believe it has nothing to do with styles any kind of program teaches it either by choice or by the under lying way. It is called common dignity in any enviroment.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given how damaging martial arts could be when used in the wrong way, I think a code of conduct should be taught along with it so its used, or not used, in the right way.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A martial art in itself merely teaches whats on its syllabus. Anything else a person learns or devlops from it depends on the manner the instuctor teaches the class , the interaction of the students, and what the student themself is willing, capable or interested in gaining.
Some students will learn discpline from the effort put it, others will develop sportsmanship from the manner they train in with other others. And others still will learn pompousness from their sense of rank or tradition, or arrogance from victory in competition ;)
But those have nothing to do with the art, or the style, or even training in martial arts themselves. They could be developed in almost any actvity.
They have to do with the people involved, the atmosphere they create between them, and what each individual is capable of taking from that atmosphere.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Given how damaging martial arts could be when used in the wrong way, I think a code of conduct should be taught along with it so its used, or not used, in the right way.

How would such a code of conduct be enforced? See, I can toss coll ethical dictums at my students all day and as soon as they leave the school what they do and how they act will be in accordance with their own, pre-set, beliefs and ethics. The most I can achieve with them(esp if they are adults) is that they behave well when I'm around and hope for the best in my absence.

As far as how damaging martial arts can be when used in the wrong way I think it becomes a matter of personal choice as to what the wrong way happens to be. What constitutes the right way? I know I am willing to jump in and help my platoon mate if a fight breaks out at the bar. Is this wrong?
I don't believe so, in fact I think it wold be an act of cowardice and disloyalty for me not to.How about you? If not how would we come to an agreement on a code of conduct?

I think that the best we can do is create a positive training enviornment, set a good example of the type of person we would like our students to be, and treat our students politely and respectfully. This will accomplish exponitialy more that attempting to enforce a code of conduct.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Mark

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How would such a code of conduct be enforced? See, I can toss coll ethical dictums at my students all day and as soon as they leave the school what they do and how they act will be in accordance with their own, pre-set, beliefs and ethics. The most I can achieve with them(esp if they are adults) is that they behave well when I'm around and hope for the best in my absence.

As far as how damaging martial arts can be when used in the wrong way I think it becomes a matter of personal choice as to what the wrong way happens to be. What constitutes the right way? I know I am willing to jump in and help my platoon mate if a fight breaks out at the bar. Is this wrong?
I don't believe so, in fact I think it wold be an act of cowardice and disloyalty for me not to.How about you? If not how would we come to an agreement on a code of conduct?

I think that the best we can do is create a positive training enviornment, set a good example of the type of person we would like our students to be, and treat our students politely and respectfully. This will accomplish exponitialy more that attempting to enforce a code of conduct.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Mark
I stated it should be taught. I did not state you could always enforce it! As an instructor there is a lot that you can do and a lot that you cannot do. You can set the example. This is the best way to hope for success. As far as what constitutes the right way, there are creeds and tenets quite common throughout the martial arts and are taught at my school. I can only teach what I believe is right and set the example to the best of my ability. The rest is with the student. Of course it comes down to their choice. As an instructor all I can do is no longer teach someone who has abused what he or she has learned. But we do our best so that it never comes to that.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I stated it should be taught. I did not state you could always enforce it! As an instructor there is a lot that you can do and a lot that you cannot do. You can set the example. This is the best way to hope for success. As far as what constitutes the right way, there are creeds and tenets quite common throughout the martial arts and are taught at my school. I can only teach what I believe is right and set the example to the best of my ability. The rest is with the student. Of course it comes down to their choice. As an instructor all I can do is no longer teach someone who has abused what he or she has learned. But we do our best so that it never comes to that.

Well said, Sir.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider abusing what the student has learned?

Mark

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The whole idea behind martial arts is to teach a person to become a better person...tru...examples, been a role model.

The whole idea of learning to fight....is to be able to defend one self if needed or want to.....YET avoidance is the NO 1 lesson!

Code of conduct or RULES in class should be : Honesty, trueful, honorable,HUMBLE,rightous,caring, and helpful......learning to be a good person....

By making yourself strong keeps you from been a VICTIM.....Our purpose as Instructors....is to teach skills to fight back..so they can survivie any encounters if need too.....

YET....awareness and avoidence it the most valueable lessons.....

The world is in trouble because...fighting seems to be the only answers for many.....raceism, haterd, religion,different beliefs, and many belive fighting is the answer!

What should martial arts teach? .....to be humble and honorable....tru a strong body and mind!

It is the leaders of the world that cause wars...the average person pays with there life!)

Most people realize.....this? ...but cannot control the leaders?

Aloha, (whose will be out next leader?)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said, Sir.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider abusing what the student has learned?

Mark

Thank you sir! The students are told on their first day of training, and are reminded often, that their Karate is to be used for self defense only. Using what they know to cause harm or fear in others is abusing what they have learned. We have several American Kenpo creeds posted on the wall in the dojo and the students are made aware of these and their meaning. They speak of using skills constructively and defensively, etc..
I believe that teaching only the physical moves is only doing half the job. We need to temper that by teaching when you do and don't use the skills.
Also, while teaching effective self defense is important and clearly expected, I find it interesting that when students enroll with us, particularly parents enrolling their children, self defense is rarely the primary reason listed on the registration form or mentioned for the reason that they are enrolling. The most common reasons include discipline and confidence! This means they are looking for behavior changes. A code of conduct helps them to make those changes.
I hope this helps. I know there is a wide range of different types of schools. This is just the way that works for me and was instilled in me by my teacher.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A martial art in itself merely teaches whats on its syllabus. Anything else a person learns or devlops from it depends on the manner the instuctor teaches the class , the interaction of the students, and what the student themself is willing, capable or interested in gaining.
Some students will learn discpline from the effort put it, others will develop sportsmanship from the manner they train in with other others. And others still will learn pompousness from their sense of rank or tradition, or arrogance from victory in competition ;)
But those have nothing to do with the art, or the style, or even training in martial arts themselves. They could be developed in almost any actvity.
They have to do with the people involved, the atmosphere they create between them, and what each individual is capable of taking from that atmosphere.

Good points! when you get down to it, what is on the syllabus is also from the instructor!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, The whole idea behind martial arts is to teach a person to become a better person...tru...examples, been a role model.
I beg to differ. The whole idea behind martial arts is to teach fighting skills. The other items you mention are often a part of the teaching process, so that students will learn when and how and to whom to apply those skills, and to teach them how to refrain from using them when appropriate - and I've certainly learned all sorts of life lessons along the lines of becoming a better person through my MA training - but becoming a better person is a common side effect of MA training, not it's primary purpose.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
I beg to differ. The whole idea behind martial arts is to teach fighting skills. The other items you mention are often a part of the teaching process, so that students will learn when and how and to whom to apply those skills, and to teach them how to refrain from using them when appropriate - and I've certainly learned all sorts of life lessons along the lines of becoming a better person through my MA training - but becoming a better person is a common side effect of MA training, not it's primary purpose.

Hello, As time moves on for you....Hopefully you will see a different side of the purpose of martial arts? Its primary or first purpose....NOT to fight!

A strong mind and body ..will keep you from getting into fights, or becoming a victim...

Most countries builds armies to prevent aggression against them.....same with martial arts.

Yes! Martial arts is learning about fighting skills...to escape,control, and destory if need be!

Anyone can take a life, cause injuries,destory a person...martial arts teaches you those things

One day your may see a different side of the purpose of learning the Martial arts.....the primary or first rules....is learning to be: HUMBLE!

....I too is still learning to become more HUMBLE...and a better martial artist

It is always alright to disagree..each of us see different points of view..in our lives.....

Aloha ( sitting in the highest building in the world...one see's a point of view...yet sitting on the toilet of the hightest building in the world...we may see another point of view!)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, As time moves on for you....Hopefully you will see a different side of the purpose of martial arts? Its primary or first purpose....NOT to fight!

Well... after 21+ years, I do think I've learned when to, and not to fight - but knowing when not to fight is a fighting skill as well, IMHO. Other factors, as I said, may play in, other skills may be taught in ancillary fashion - but the purpose of martial arts is to teach when and how to fight; anything else is part of the process, not the purpose.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In Universal Kempo, the students are taught respect, discipline, perserverance, and no bullying. As previously mentioned, a lot of this is known as sportsmanship.

Latest Discussions