What Korean words are important to know for a WT tournament?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I've gone to tournaments, some judges speak more Korean and some speak more English when giving commands.

What are all of the Korean terms that you should know when participating in a WT tournament?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I've gone to tournaments, some judges speak more Korean and some speak more English when giving commands.

What are all of the Korean terms that you should know when participating in a WT tournament?
the only Korean phrase you need is can you say that in English please

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like every foreign language, you just need to know the swear words. That way you’ll know if they’re swearing at you and how to swear back.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like every foreign language, you just need to know the swear words. That way you’ll know if they’re swearing at you and how to swear back.

Right. Because it's really likely that the officials at a tournament are going to be swearing at competitors.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right. Because it's really likely that the officials at a tournament are going to be swearing at competitors.
I don’t know but I’ve felt like swearing at a lot of the people I’m judging for different reasons lol

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know but I’ve felt like swearing at a lot of the people I’m judging for different reasons lol

Or my students...

Kid lands a kick. Stops fighting to see his point on the scoreboard and gets nailed.

Every.

Single.

Time.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about sparring? What are the important words to know for sparring matches?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about sparring? What are the important words to know for sparring matches?
The intro/beginning of a match and the end of a match are much the same as the first video. This one does a good job on sparring. The WT site has good information but a little hard to navigate.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only words you really need to know are go and stop.
Pretty much true.
The rules of Olympic sparring have changed a Lot. They used to be very loose on giving warnings and point deductions. Several guys figured this out and developed a pattern of taking two very cheap shots, getting their two warnings before a point deduction. They would try very hard to take you out of the fight and not much was done about it. I have seen very good fighters get their front knee folded backwards right out of the gate. Illegal by the rules but only a warning for the errant attack. That is just one of many examples.
Yes, I get the mindset that a knee attack is a valid tool but when you are knowingly competing within a ruleset stuff like that is pretty sxxtty. I always use the boxing analogy; you don't see a leg sweep in boxing yet you don't hear too many people knocking the boxing ruleset. The upper level TKD sparring ruleset was designed to be the counter-culture to boxing with a heavy emphasis on kicking instead of punching.
Three, three minute rounds can seem like a lifetime against a good opponent. Good times.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only words you really need to know are go and stop.
That's what I learned in fencing. A whole bunch of fancy french words, and the only ones I knew were en-garde, allez. Don't think I even knew the word for stop-the lights/beep would tell me that.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I learned in fencing. A whole bunch of fancy french words, and the only ones I knew were en-garde, allez. Don't think I even knew the word for stop-the lights/beep would tell me that.

That's because it's a swear word. The beep is actually the censor!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Several guys figured this out and developed a pattern of taking two very cheap shots, getting their two warnings before a point deduction. They would try very hard to take you out of the fight and not much was done about it. I have seen very good fighters get their front knee folded backwards right out of the gate. Illegal by the rules but only a warning for the errant attack.

I've seen that in the past, fortunately not often. It always saddened me. Cheap shots would never happen in competitions if the competitors were taught Martial Arts in the right ways.

Latest Discussions