What kind of dog is this?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://i7.tinypic.com/2131x12.jpg

I found him about 6 weeks ago in a parking lot near my wife's work. He was sitting quietly by the door of an empty retail unit. I called him over and he happily bounced to me. Needless to say, my wife decided to add to our family that day.It took some medications and baths for his fur to grow back on his tail and feet, but now he is a happy and very smart little puppy. I figure someone dropped him off due to his tail and feet, but we fixed that with no problem.Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of dog he may be? Of course, I know he is a "Carolina porch dog" (aka a mutt), but I would like to see what others think he may be a mix of.AoG

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What ever he is, he is adorable. :) I like 'Carolina porch dog'

Looks like there is some shepard in there. Probably so many mixes it will be hard to tell for sure.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To me, he looks like a german shepard and lab mix. What a sweet baby! Can we see more pics please! :D

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tarot said:
To me, he looks like a german shepard and lab mix. What a sweet baby! Can we see more pics please! :D

I agree with the shepard/lab mix. And a few others. That is awesome of you to take him in to your home.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am no breed ID expert by any stretch, especially when it comes to puppies; but I definatily see the German Shepard/lab mix as well. It could be a pit/GS mix though, given how far apart the eyes are, but it is hard to tell.

You will be able to tell better as he grows up and gains his adult size and dimensions.

He is a cutie, though. take care of him! :)

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not an expert either, but I see a little Shepherd and possibly some Rotweiler (sp?) in him...maybe even some Siamese...wait, thats what he ate, my bad!

Seeming as it does that he chose you as much as you chose him, take care of him and he'll be the mostest loyalest dog ever (improper grammar intended for emphasis).

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I am no breed ID expert by any stretch, especially when it comes to puppies; but I definatily see the German Shepard/lab mix as well. It could be a pit/GS mix though, given how far apart the eyes are, but it is hard to tell.

You will be able to tell better as he grows up and gains his adult size and dimensions.

He is a cutie, though. take care of him! :)

I agree with Tulisan that it could be a Pit/Shepard mix. The ex had a Pit Lab mix and they do generate some nice looking and loveable dogs. :)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm thinking the nose isn't right for a shepard, lab or pit. How big are those feet? The markings remind me of my leonbergers, but the ears stand up to much.

Please Neuter or Spay your animals.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll tell you the same thing the vet told me when I brought mine home from the shelter - wait and see what he looks like when he grows up!

Mine started like this and turned into this... so you never know!

Attachments

• $5.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 216

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I'm thinking the nose isn't right for a shepard, lab or pit. How big are those feet? The markings remind me of my leonbergers, but the ears stand up to much.

Please Neuter or Spay your animals.
i know nothing about dogs. What does spraying do?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cute, definitely cute!! More pics of the pup please!!!! I need more "aaawwww" moments.

- Ceicei

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mantis said:
i know nothing about dogs. What does spraying do?

Spraying disperses a liquid in a funnel like shape in a specific direction. "Spray the hose on the garden". :)

Spay (No 'r') is to remove the female reproductive organs from an animal.

Neuter is to remove the functionality of the male reproductive organs.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To it looks like a shepherd/pit mix primarily, probably had lab in it too. Most likely the offspring of 2 other mutts. It it the cutest little thing. Lucky pup that you found it.

John Brewer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My friend ran a few kennels in a past life and agrees with the Shepard Lab mix, however he also said at that age it's pretty hard to tell.

Enjoy!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
"Spray the hose on the garden". :)

Okaaaaaay, but I don't understand why you would spray a horse on the garden.:idunno:

:uhyeah:

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would give an update picture, but "Ollie" (the puppy) chewed through the usb cable for my camera.....

Still, he looks a good bit bigger and his chest has gotten very muscular. His ears don't really sag like they do in that picture. They stick out halfway, then sag down. All of his hair has grown back and he is actually quite smart.

Right now, I am dealing with house training. My backyard is an acre (fenced in), so I want him to stay inside all winter. Right now, it is 102 degrees with massive humidity and he does not like being outside.

I am starting his crate training for house breaking. Any suggestions on that?

AoG

Latest Discussions