What is your favorite / recommended WC book?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's your view? I have seen every wc book out there there is nothing that even comes close.

Are you still talking about Randy Williams books? I remember looking through those ages ago. Nice looking, but Mr. Williams WC is not my cup of tea. Each to their own. Here are some fairly recent clips of him doing chi-sau. Again, not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you still talking about Randy Williams books? I remember looking through those ages ago. Nice looking, but Mr. Williams WC is not my cup of tea. Each to their own. Here are some fairly recent clips of him doing chi-sau. Again, not my cup of tea.

This little girl has better chi sau than what was on display in those clips.

[video=youtube_share;nER2C53EUCY]http://youtu.be/nER2C53EUCY[/video]

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This little girl has better chi sau than what was on display in those clips.

Sheez guys, what do you want? That first clip of Williams looked like crap because Chi Sao is not a fight. Obasi asks someone to roll with him and then tries to turn it into a fight. That's his typical M.O. You can't really hear what Williams asked him, but Obasi's reply was "no, not at all" and Williams seemed a little ticked off. I would imagine he had asked Obasi something like "what's up, are you trying to turn this into a fight?" Someone in the audience called out..."go soft! go soft!"

The second clip Williams is Chi Sao'ing with a guy that obviously doesn't even know how to roll. My guess is he is from a CMA other than Wing Chun and wanted to get and feel for Wing Chun's version of Chi Sao. Then he starts throwing cheap shots that Williams answers. I've always maintained that Chi Sao is NOT a sparring match. The minute people start trying to score on the other guy in a "I gotcha" kind of exchange it quickly degrades and looks like crap.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

You have to take Randy Williams out of the picture and just judge the book on content by it's self. That is how I look at it not the person doing it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The second clip Williams is Chi Sao'ing with a guy that obviously doesn't even know how to roll. My guess is he is from a CMA other than Wing Chun and wanted to get and feel for Wing Chun's version of Chi Sao. Then he starts throwing cheap shots that Williams answers. I've always maintained that Chi Sao is NOT a sparring match. The minute people start trying to score on the other guy in a "I gotcha" kind of exchange it quickly degrades and looks like crap.

I'd say that you might have a point Keith, but then I saw these:

Here Joseph Ng and Shawn Obasi are playing chi-sau and there is no ego problem. They both seem to realize that it is an exercise ...even a game, if you will. Not fighting. Each gets in shots according to their particular abilities, acknowledges the other and there is no attitude problem.

When these guys worked with Randy Williams, the chemistry was very different. When Mr. Ng slips in those quick shots to the head, he doesn't laugh and say "nice one" like Obasi. Instead he says something about "watch the face" and starts throwing head butts. Obasi, in turn started using his considerable size advantage to humble Williams. I guess these guess just don't like each other.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Steve!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend Williams. I have nothing to do with him. The problem is we seldom have a context for the videos posted. On the set of videos you posted Obasi is at Stephen Ng's home (at least it looks like it). So he likely "toned down" his aggressive Chi Sao approach to a big extent. Of course that's not to say that Williams doesn't also have an ego or a bit of an aggressive approach! I've heard some stories that I won't repeat here! That likely explains the prior videos to some extent.

My main point was that when Chi Sao becomes a fight, it stops looking like good Chi Sao.

At little off topic....I had never heard of "invisible" Buddha Hand Wing Chun or Stephen Ng before. FutSao Buddha Hand I have heard of. Is it the same thing? And I still didn't see Stephen Ng using any kind of actual rolling platform in the second videos either.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Steve!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend Williams. I have nothing to do with him. The problem is we seldom have a context for the videos posted. On the set of videos you posted Obasi is at Stephen Ng's home (at least it looks like it). So he likely "toned down" his aggressive Chi Sao approach to a big extent. Of course that's not to say that Williams doesn't also have an ego or a bit of an aggressive approach! I've heard some stories that I won't repeat here! That likely explains the prior videos to some extent.

My main point was that when Chi Sao becomes a fight, it stops looking like good Chi Sao.

At little off topic....I had never heard of "invisible" Buddha Hand Wing Chun or Stephen Ng before. FutSao Buddha Hand I have heard of. Is it the same thing? And I still didn't see Stephen Ng using any kind of actual rolling platform in the second videos either.

Invisible Buddha Hand is Sifu Ng own style he created which is loosely based on what he learned from my teacher Henry Leung although very different. It has more of a pushing platform not a rolling one like Ip Man style. Sifu Ng was also one of my teachers.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's your view? I have seen every wc book out there there is nothing that even comes close.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think that any video or book comes close to hands on learning from a competent teacher who in turn has learned from a competent teacher.

Most of my sifu's books are out of print except for the first on the slt- which has been badly imitated by some including Williiams. Chao and Weakland series are not to bad but concepts are underexplained. Ip Man never wrote a book and taught only a handful for a long term.

Folks loyal to Cheung and Leung lineage of course will find their clan head's books useful for the details of what they do.I don't have a problem with that.