What is the correct length for a Hanbo?

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello! And, greetings from Raleigh-Durham, NC! :ultracool

Looking to get some information confirmed regarding the proper size for a practishioner to make a custom-length Hando cane.

Recently, and for the life of me I can't find the link, I read online (yes, I know, consider the source) that the proper length of a "personlized" hanbo was from the hip-bone of the pratishinoer, down to their ankle-bone.

Some of my training will include use of a Hando (or similar weapons), and I'm taking one if my step-daughters old Bo to make one from. It's NICE, sturdy Chinese Red Oak; so, I think that it will turn out nicely in the end.

Thankk you in advance for any positive comments and/or advice!

Yours In The Arts,

Andrew

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends on the line itself, really, but typically 3 shaku (roughly three feet/90cm) is considered standard. Mainly as Han Bo literally means "half staff (rokushakubo/six foot staff)", so half of that is three shaku. Some lines have it slightly longer, but that's the typical. For a Westerner you may decide to go a bit longer (maybe up to three and a half shaku), but that's about it. The hipbone to ankle thing? Not something I'd come across.

OP
MSTCNC

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, Sir!

A friend operates a Budo Taijutsu dojo here in Durham, and he studies under Soke Hatsumi.

I'm planning to train with them some, as my schedule will allow.

On me, 42" (three and a half feet) is hip to ankle; but, I'm also 6'5"! That ength is just long enough for me to use as a walking stick, too...

Just didn't know if there was any truth to what I'd read... or if it was a load...

Thank you again for helping to clear that up!

{salute}

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As with anything, check with them first. Some dojo allow different (personalised) lengths, others tend to offer adaptions to kamae, but keep the weapons standardised (such as my own).

OP
MSTCNC

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you again, Sir! I will certainly check with Shihan Karl. I'll be there next on Thursday evening, and will find out then his preference for me.

{salute}

OP
MSTCNC

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shihan Karll was fine with the hanbo I made. Here's the finished product...

292590_3160158562773_1229554344_32230561_173644490_n.jpg

I was sure to rough the ends up with sandpaper, and to epoxy the tips on with something made for a strong wood to rubber bond. More than anything else, this was for training safety considerations.

Pretty happy with the end result. And, I re-purposed an old staff that was no longer being used; so, I have a GREEN WEAPON! :ultracool

P.S. Out of respect, I don't normally lay a weapon on the ground like this; but, it was a good contrast for the picture. {salute}

Last edited:

Latest Discussions