What is the Arnis 'infrastructure' like in China, Japan, and Thailand like?

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are there more and better training places than in Western countries? Are they comparable to the ones in the Phillipines?

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Arnis (Kali/Escrima) is pretty niche compared to other martial arts and is a relatively newly propagated to Japan and China, I have no idea about Thailand. One of my friends is was working in Korea and China over the past 8 years and starting kali groups every year that he moved. His groups were something of a pioneer into at least those cities and they didn't really seem to have many other well established groups in existence. But the overall impression that I got from him is that the FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) are pretty young right now.

OP
F

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Arnis (Kali/Escrima) is pretty niche compared to other martial arts and is a relatively newly propagated to Japan and China, I have no idea about Thailand. One of my friends is was working in Korea and China over the past 8 years and starting kali groups every year that he moved. His groups were something of a pioneer into at least those cities and they didn't really seem to have many other well established groups in existence. But the overall impression that I got from him is that the FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) are pretty young right now.

Any chance you can ask him about this??

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Any chance you can ask him about this??

Are you going to any particular location? The schools he helped start and are associated with are in China: Log into Facebook

Korea: Log into Facebook

You can find schools associated with the PTTA at https://teampekiti.com/team-pekiti/

But at least regarding PTK, the growth is all fairly recent so most of the instructors are newer. In the US there has simply been more time to grow and season instructors. That said, the Philippines exports workers all over and you may find someone from some FMA anywhere, finding that instructor is probably going to be tricky.

OP
F

Flyingknee

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you going to any particular location? The schools he helped start and are associated with are in China: Log into Facebook

Korea: Log into Facebook

You can find schools associated with the PTTA at TEAM PEKITI

But at least regarding PTK, the growth is all fairly recent so most of the instructors are newer. In the US there has simply been more time to grow and season instructors. That said, the Philippines exports workers all over and you may find someone from some FMA anywhere, finding that instructor is probably going to be tricky.

Thanks, especially for the PTK link since that's the style I'm most interested in.
So can you ask your friend then??

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GM Remy A Presas was in Japan in the late 60's early 70's (As an official Cultural Ambassador).
I am not aware of any infrastructure that lasted.
After he left the PI and came to the US in Mid 70's, he did not go back until late 90's.

I am glad your friend has been able to start some groups.
I do know there was a guy associated with WMAA and Datu Hartman in Japan in the 00's, yet I he came back to the US in the mid 10's.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started stick fight practice with cane for about 8 months, I looked on youtube on different styles, Arnis seems to be the best......At least that's how I feel. I can easily use the same moves using two hands swing, and I really like what you taught me on casting. I have been practicing on it, never stop. I am more practicing footwork moving around and get more control of the cane. I practice in tighter space like using door frames as target and swing but not hitting the frame. It was hard at the beginning and I have a few dents on the door frame to show( don't tell my big boss about that!!! :)) But I am getting better now. Let me practice a little longer before I make another video to have you give me suggestions.

Arnis seems to be popular enough, plenty of youtube video. There are schools in my area, but it's closed due to the pandemic. So far, I am happy practicing by myself.

Thanks

Latest Discussions