What is Krav Maga like?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One question. Have any of you peeps the the Fight Quest TV series?. Two American fellas that sampled different MA. One was on Krav.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One question. Have any of you peeps the the Fight Quest TV series?. Two American fellas that sampled different MA. One was on Krav.
Yes, I have a copy of it. I downloaded it off YouTube.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is what you see on there indicative of what you teach. Forgive my ignorance, but I figured elsewhere it would be like slimmed down?
What you are looking at here is what I would consider the full military version of Krav. I noticed a seminar here recently where one of the Krav schools was offering to teach weapon tactics to police and security.

We don't teach that and I haven't trained that. I may in future but I have to travel OS for that training and there are complications for me at present that may prevent that happening.

But we do train the disarms including disarms against military style weapons.

Now when we get to the actual training, no it is not at the intensity of the Israeli training and there are numerous reasons for that. Also, for logistical reasons we don't do the fieldwork that you see in the video. For us it is just not possible unless we could organise it for a weekend along with three or four other schools.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you are looking at here is what I would consider the full military version of Krav. I noticed a seminar here recently where one of the Krav schools was offering to teach weapon tactics to police and security.

We don't teach that and I haven't trained that. I may in future but I have to travel OS for that training and there are complications for me at present that may prevent that happening.

Now when we get to the actual training, no it is not at the intensity of the Israeli training and there are numerous reasons for that. Also, for logistical reasons we don't do the fieldwork that you see in the video. For us it is just not possible unless we could organise it for a weekend along with three or four other schools.

What would your krav look like in comparison?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did wonder about the intensity, whether it was for the cameras, or a true reflection. Bias towards the latter though. I had seen some of the other Fight Quest episodes, the Krav one was a bit of an eye opener.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did wonder about the intensity, whether it was for the cameras, or a true reflection. Bias towards the latter though. I had seen some of the other Fight Quest episodes, the Krav one was a bit of an eye opener.
The Krav I teach was developed with Israeli Krav guys for Australian conditions. We don't have many people running around with military style weapons. The disarms are all similar whether the weapons are military or not. If the weapon has a strap the disarm becomes a choke rather than simply taking the weapon, but having a weapon of your own isn't part of our training.

Intensity is a difficult thing. Krav has a high student turnover unlike Aikido or karate where people will train for many years. The better the guys get, the harder you can train but I only have a handful that I trust to go really hard and then you have to start using protective gear. With people that have just started you have to go back to the beginning and start afresh. Now, in itself, that isn't a problem because you can just put the better guys together and get them to go harder. The flip side is that we use the guys with a bit of experience to help the newbies.

So yes, I would say some of the intensity was for the cameras but those guys were all young and fit and living in a very dangerous part of the world where it is more than likely they may have to use their skills. I am fortunate that where I live I can choose to train a martial art because it appeals, rather than of necessity, and I have a number of older guys who feel the same way. They want to know that if they ever need to defend themselves they have the ability while knowing it is most unlikely they will ever have to.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yes, I would say some of the intensity was for the cameras but those guys were all young and fit and living in a very dangerous part of the world where it is more than likely they may have to use their skills. I am fortunate that where I live I can choose to train a martial art because it appeals, rather than of necessity, and I have a number of older guys who feel the same way. They want to know that if they ever need to defend themselves they have the ability while knowing it is most unlikely they will ever have to.

Well, I can't relate to both those just yet. Yeah though, that is a very good outlook, or philosophy

Intensity is a difficult thing. Krav has a high student turnover unlike Aikido or karate where people will train for many years. The better the guys get, the harder you can train but I only have a handful that I trust to go really hard and then you have to start using protective gear. With people that have just started you have to go back to the beginning and start afresh. Now, in itself, that isn't a problem because you can just put the better guys together and get them to go harder. The flip side is that we use the guys with a bit of experience to help the newbies.

Been on the end of that process myself. Have to concede though, I was fascinated with the striking distances involved. Mostly though was the ferocity of the striking. Many years ago down at the marina, one of the now defunct shops, had a Isreali women working there. She married a Brit, who was a academic. Sadly I don't remember her name, but she gave me a little outsiders view of the situation there. Only basic stuff really, but enough to understand a little. So I can follow a few things, but I do understand a little on the military situation. Just thinking about paying more attention to Krav.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I can't relate to both those just yet. Yeah though, that is a very good outlook, or philosophy

Been on the end of that process myself. Have to concede though, I was fascinated with the striking distances involved. Mostly though was the ferocity of the striking. Many years ago down at the marina, one of the now defunct shops, had a Isreali women working there. She married a Brit, who was a academic. Sadly I don't remember her name, but she gave me a little outsiders view of the situation there. Only basic stuff really, but enough to understand a little. So I can follow a few things, but I do understand a little on the military situation. Just thinking about paying more attention to Krav.
To be honest, I fell into Krav by chance. I was more interested in Systema. Then a couple of mates got right into Krav and invited me to join them. Krav is very effective but there are a couple of areas where I like the Systema approach more, in particular when it comes to multiple attackers or fighting on the ground. Krav have a clear adage ... 'never ever go to the ground'. As a result there isn't as much training on the ground as you find in Systema where the attitude is more ... 'ok, you might go to the ground so you need to be comfortable fighting from the ground'. Of course, neither advocate staying on the ground.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I fell into Krav by chance. I was more interested in Systema. Then a couple of mates got right into Krav and invited me to join them. Krav is very effective but there are a couple of areas where I like the Systema approach more, in particular when it comes to multiple attackers or fighting on the ground. Krav have a clear adage ... 'never ever go to the ground'. As a result there isn't as much training on the ground as you find in Systema where the attitude is more ... 'ok, you might go to the ground so you need to be comfortable fighting from the ground'. Of course, neither advocate staying on the ground.

Yeah, nor would I.

kravazon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As for the intensity, it's really depended on my trainer. Some will slow everything down and explain the technique really carefully. Some trainers I've worked with will do a great job explaining the techniques, but then they'll annihilate you in the intensity. It also depends on the partner you're working with. Some of the ladies I practice with aren't as aggressive as some of the dudes I work with. I've definitely had some classes where the intensity is at least in the same ballpark as this Fight Quest episode, but not quite as ridiculous.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Visit (and train in) a few KM academies, from different organisations if possible, and you will see.

pcmolter

White Belt
Reaction score
Krav is a great and easy system to learn

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk