what is hung gar

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have heard this name alot,but still don't know what it is
Please, give me an overview about this, or tell me where i can find some words about it
thanks!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's one of the main styles of Southern Chinese martial arts, known for low stances, tiger claws, and an emphasis on hand techniques.

mryddin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you catch the latest Inside Kung Fu... You will see a 3 page layout of my Sifu Mike Marshall explaining his thoughts on Hung Gar and what it is all about. I am so lucky to have found him.

http://louisvillehunggarkungfu.com

Feel free to stop in and say hi. there is a chat forum at teh top of the links page that is not really in use yet (ment for class members) but if you have questions I will get them to Sifu to answer....

:)

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If it hasn't been posted yet, here are some applications right out of the form:

Last edited by a moderator:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
On Master Wing Lam's website all of his videos has excerpts on the site that you can see from his videos. www.wle.com

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the meaning behind the diamond shaped symbol used by hung gar gung fu?

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
unfortunately, i don't have a sifu in hung gar

paulee

White Belt
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but is there a list or group of standardized forms taught by Hung Gar practitioners? The reason I ask is that I have seen about 3 or 4 different interpretations of Tiger/Crane, and that is the only Hung Gar form I am really aware of. I learned the Kenpo version of T/C, but I am also interested in learning the original, as taught by Wong Fei Hung.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but is there a list or group of standardized forms taught by Hung Gar practitioners? The reason I ask is that I have seen about 3 or 4 different interpretations of Tiger/Crane, and that is the only Hung Gar form I am really aware of. I learned the Kenpo version of T/C, but I am also interested in learning the original, as taught by Wong Fei Hung.

The 4 Pillars (Taming the Tiger "I" Shape, Tiger/Crane Duet, 10 Shapes (5 Animal/5 Element, Iron Wire)... but interpretation is almighty in CMA (or any MA) so you won't find the Tiger/Crane set as WFH put it together. It may be close, but somewhere down the line it's been tweaked for personal preference or usage. Also you'll find changes from the same teacher. Student "A" learned early from techer so he was taught "this way", reflecting teacher's youth. Student "B" learned later in teacher's life so he was taught "this way", reflecting teacher's experience in life. Then you get Student "C" who learned from teacher late in life & this "this way", reflecting teacher's loss of youth but economy in motion & experience compounded.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Here's a list from my lineage.
http://yeeshungga.com/tradition/forms/