<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When a few insructors crosses the line during class:

1)stay queit until the end of class and try to resolve it

2) say what needs to be said during class and let it go

3) keep your mouth shut and hope the problem goes away

4) Sit them down and go back over the rule and let them go

At times I feel like I'm losing control of my school, instructor for whatever reason will follow your rules until you leave for a week for a schedule tournament and then they start to go outside the regular curriculum and tell your students to do it this way or that, that is what the above referres too.
Terry

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the situation, I ve had problems like this and I ve simply spoken to the person about it after class, in private making sure no one is around. I try to be as soft spoken as possible but firm at the same time, no need to insult, and certainly no need to embarass a person, anyone can slip up, why I wouldnt correct them during class if someone was to cross the line. However if the problem is severe like a student beating on another or some sort of discipline problem something like that then I would act during class.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
Depends on the situation, I ve had problems like this and I ve simply spoken to the person about it after class, in private making sure no one is around. I try to be as soft spoken as possible but firm at the same time, no need to insult, and certainly no need to embarass a person, anyone can slip up, why I wouldnt correct them during class if someone was to cross the line. However if the problem is severe like a student beating on another or some sort of discipline problem something like that then I would act during class.

I agree that it should be done in private. Maybe the jr. instructor is not understanding the "big picture" of the goals of the school. Maybe he/she knows the "what" of the way you teach, but not the "why we do it this way."

The other question I have is, "is it a CONTENT differnce or just a style difference between you two? If its style, you may need to give a bit. If content, (or unhealthy or unsafe) than you need to discuss that.

My .02

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

I think the way above is very good and I agree. It depends on what is being done and/or said. One time a simple dicussion takes place. Numerous times then something needs to change.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Evenflow and Iceman - I would talk to the person in private, and it would depend on whether the things being taught are due to a difference in style or if the content is actually different. If it's style then I wouldn't worry about it; if it's content, then the assistant needs to know what you want taught, what you don't want taught, and why - you'll probably get better compliance if the person knows the reasons why certain things are taught in a particular sequence or not taught than if you just say know and give no reason.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not sombody is going to get hurt. If yes then it needs to be settled right then and there. The hurting part does not have to be physical. Mental can be just as harmful and take even longer to fix. If it continues then you next need to ask if you are in the right place to be training. This is just my own clarification of what has been already been said.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Public praise, private criticism is the method I use. How much depends on the situation-you don't want to be overly flattering...that's paternizing. Nor do you necessarily need to be hyper-critical...most people take criticism, even constructive criticism, a bit hard and they don't process it well.

Good luck with your instructors-do you have a regular staff meeting or training at which you impart how they are to teach? What they are to teach?

Miles

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
When a few insructors crosses the line during class:

1)stay queit until the end of class and try to resolve it

2) say what needs to be said during class and let it go

3) keep your mouth shut and hope the problem goes away

4) Sit them down and go back over the rule and let them go

Master Stoker,

The above description suggests that you are present at the time an instructor is teaching in a manner, or method you do not want taught ("crosses the line during class"). Option 3) "Keep your mouth shut and hope the problem goes away," is out of the question. Ignoring a problem is never a way to solve it. Option 1) "stay quiet until the end of class and try to resolve it," is typically not desirable, and might be why you feel you are losing control of your instructors. Leadership is not about being quiet when there is a problem.

Option 2) "say what needs to be said during class..." is the best approach, although I would not add the "and let it go." Don't dwell on it, or lose control, but you need to make your position clear, and follow up on their behavior in the future. You have the right to correct instructors, with proper tone, even in the presence of students (this is actually better for students to see that you are in charge, that the instructor has an authority over him or her, and that the instructor is wrong if they contradict your methods without your approval). There is nothing more dangerous in a Dojang, then an Instructor trying to undermine the Head Instructor's authority.

Remember, if you are the "Head Instructor," your staff of instructors work for you. It is your school. They teach what you tell them to teach, and in the manner you instruct them to do so. Content, style, or whatever does not matter. If they want to teach differently, then let them open their own school.

Instructor seminars are where you head these problems off, and address this topic in advance. If they attend an instructor's seminar, and bring issues of different approaches about teaching to your attention, at the proper time, then you consider what they have presented, and either approve it, or not. If you do not approve of the variation, then they should respect that, and not go behind your back. That is grounds for reprimand (removal of instructor certification, probation, or dismissal from training). Your Dojang - - your rules. An open mind is fine, but you have final say, and they should respect you enough to bring it to your attention before contradicting the way you teach.

Option 4) "Sit them down and go back over the rule and let them go," is something I do in addition to the correction in class (If I have witnessed the offense personally). If I did not witness it, but become aware of it upon my return from and event, I will call the instructor into my office for a conference, and ask them to explain what is going on. I want to hear their side of the story before I decide how to deal with it. If you correct them in private in this manner, then you should make general announcements, and regular comments during training (without mentioning any names of the instructors) that no one is authorized to change the curriculum, or teaching methods without your prior approval.

Also, tell your students to respect the instructor who is working with them. Tell them that if the instructor is teaching differently (when the Head Instructor is not present), do not argue with, or contradict that instructor, but do as they teach during that class. Then, at the earliest possible chance, they should ask to speak to you in private, and explain their concern over the differences.

terryl965 said:
At times I feel like I'm losing control of my school, instructor for whatever reason will follow your rules until you leave for a week for a schedule tournament and then they start to go outside the regular curriculum and tell your students to do it this way or that...
My suggestion is to regain control of your school. Make your intentions clear, and assert your authority in a proper, and controlled manner. Any instructor who waits until you are out of town, and teaches differently behind your back is dishonest, deceitful, and disrespectful. This type of behavior is like a cancer in your school. Cut it out at the first sign of its presence, and don't be afraid that you are going to offend someone. If they don't like your rules, point them to the door.

Over 28 years teaching Taekwondo, I have had to deal with many issues from students, parents, and Assistant Instructors. I have had many Korean and American Grandmasters give me advice on these issues, and I have learned much from first hand experience. Be fair - be firm - and be the leader they need.

Chief Master D.J. Eisenhart

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would either A) wait till the end of class and talk to them, or B) take them out of class and 'in private' talk to them.

If they are doing something wrong, they need to know that, how to fix it and what would happen if it was not taken care of.