What has happened to Japanese Ju Jitsu in the UK?

Beginning again

White Belt
Reaction score
I am looking to get back into Ju Jitsu after many years out and am confused as to the decline of Japanese Ju Jitsu in the Uk. Can anyone help explain where it has gone? I’m not interested in Gracie, or “Grand master Steve” from down the road, and sorry but MMA is not “the natural development” of this art. Just give me traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu !

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get back into Ju Jitsu after many years out and am confused as to the decline of Japanese Ju Jitsu in the Uk. Can anyone help explain where it has gone? I’m not interested in Gracie, or “Grand master Steve” from down the road, and sorry but MMA is not “the natural development” of this art. Just give me traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu !
I just did a search there seems to be clubs around the country, many martial arts places of all styles aren't open yet though. Here's one organisation.

Ivan

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I trained in JJJ back in England for a while. My instructora said it wasn’t as popular anymore. At my classes’ peak, there were a total of 5-7 students, which is nothing compared to anything else I’ve trained in the UK. My classes were under the Kuro Obi Jiu Jitsu association, but I found nothing about it online. However, someone on a previous thread informed me that Kuro Obi does not count as traditional and that it’s actually more modern, to my surprise.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ma seems to be driven as much by fashion as function, and in jjj isnt fashionable Any more,I'm not sure it ever was compared to the number of other schools. but the short answer would be, not enough people want to do it to justify more schools

but its still available, you may need to travel a bit unless your lucky enough to live on top of a jjj dojo

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ma seems to be driven as much by fashion as function, and in jjj isnt fashionable Any more,I'm not sure it ever was compared to the number of other schools. but the short answer would be, not enough people want to do it to justify more schools

but its still available, you may need to travel a bit unless your lucky enough to live on top of a jjj dojo
I was going to say that it's never been 'popular' in the UK, we aren't a large country and can only support so many martial arts clubs. Judo has always been popular, TKD, kickboxing, JKD and karate also. MMA is quite popular but there still isn't that many clubs, we don't have the population to support too many martial arts.

BrendanF

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The irony of course being that most 'Traditional JJJ' in the UK is entirely 'Grand Master Steve' invented, and in no way traditional or Japanese. Good luck though!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Firstly, can you define what you mean by "traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu"? To begin with, I'd advise spelling it "Jujutsu", if you're looking for the authentic stuff...
I just did a search there seems to be clubs around the country, many martial arts places of all styles aren't open yet though. Here's one organisation.
Yeah... no, Tez. The WJJF was founded by Robert Clark, a person who brought a few people out to the UK, such as the late 18th Soke of Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Inoue Munetoshi-soke, and afterwards was claiming to be a member of the school, issuing ranking, and so forth... while we try to avoid the "f" word here, well... yeah... not advised, especially for authentic jujutsu.
The irony of course being that most 'Traditional JJJ' in the UK is entirely 'Grand Master Steve' invented, and in no way traditional or Japanese. Good luck though!
Very true. Although there are a few groups that I know of in the UK, depending on where our OP is situated... for example, there is Bitchu-den Takeuchi Ryu, Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Moto-ha Yoshin Ryu, Sosuishi Ryu, Araki Ryu... of course, knowing that they're there is one thing, getting in is another...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly, can you define what you mean by "traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu"? To begin with, I'd advise spelling it "Jujutsu", if you're looking for the authentic stuff...

Yeah... no, Tez. The WJJF was founded by Robert Clark, a person who brought a few people out to the UK, such as the late 18th Soke of Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Inoue Munetoshi-soke, and afterwards was claiming to be a member of the school, issuing ranking, and so forth... while we try to avoid the "f" word here, well... yeah... not advised, especially for authentic jujutsu.

Very true. Although there are a few groups that I know of in the UK, depending on where our OP is situated... for example, there is Bitchu-den Takeuchi Ryu, Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Moto-ha Yoshin Ryu, Sosuishi Ryu, Araki Ryu... of course, knowing that they're there is one thing, getting in is another...
Hey I know nothing 😁 I could only copy the details of the first place on Google. There were quite a few others, the OP could have done that and chase them up.

I do know it's not a huge thing here but as I explained we aren't a big country and can't support loads of styles.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha, no issue... and the Koryu community in the UK actually isn't bad... France is pretty good as well, as is Germany... but most classical systems are weapon oriented (out of the five systems I listed, they all feature a solid weaponry component as well, but can be classed as jujutsu systems... it's just that you learn a lot more as well!), so looking for purely jujutsu is a challenge in any country...

Guy Preston

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As has been said before, there's not much call for it in the UK, but some are around...

Part of the problem in identifying traditional Jujutsu here, is that the people who want to make a name for themselves, run cash oriented clubs that have money for advertising pay per click, etc, are generally of the 'Grand Master Steve' variety - and these are the people you will usually find when searching.

Most of the people I know who teach in a more traditional manner or teach Koryu keep a much lower profile, and operate smaller schools.

Where in the UK are you located?