What flashy move have you tried in a real combat?

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anybody out their pulled one of these flashy moves off in a real fight? Usually come among beginners.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
None, although, I'd love to see what doing Leap of Death to someone would get you charged with...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dunno if what I did can be considered a flashy move... I didn't just try it I accomplished it without thinking about it... it was the right counter to whatever the jerkweed was attempting to do to me-- basically bum-rush me as his counterpart tried to hold a gun to the side of my head.
I parried the gun (which was rising to my shoulder level at that point) which was at my (right side) then did a pivot on my hip to face the guy running towards me and continued my pivot to where he rushed right past me... nearly crashing into the brick wall a couple feet behind me, he managed to pull up short.
Was it flashy? ... I dunno, I was too busy trying to fend off two attackers at once to notice.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does falling off a ladder and landing unhurt count? If so, I am the flashiest...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple back kick to the chest was something that worked for me and some call it flashy. I don't think it is and when it hits...that's all folks, On the ground praying for air is all I got to say.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That question is an oxymoron...LOL! In real combat, the KISS principle always applies....keep it simple stupid!! Or, when I turned 50, one of my three masters said to me, "now, wait until he lands from the air, then kick 'em!" He also said, " How can you root and generate real power while up in the air?" LOL! Soooo....being small, my flashiest move has always been to move into my opponent to close the gap, and at the last second attacking linear while moving circular. No one expects someone of my size to come inside, so that is what I do, LOL! Being real flexible and fast helps too. God always gives you gifts to compensate for your weaknesses!!!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody out their pulled one of these flashy moves off in a real fight? Usually come among beginners.

I don't do flashy moves. IMO, real combat is not the time to try something that is more flash than effective.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
None, although, I'd love to see what doing Leap of Death to someone would get you charged with...

I was thinking Dance of Death but... yeah, that would be bad too.

I'd wager you'd get charged with excessive force on either for sure! I remember when I first learned Dance of Death I joked that the name should be changed to "Kicking the Corpse." LOL

Anyway...when I was like 12 or so I managed to pull off a Rock & Roll Express dropkick on a bully at school. Knocked him clear across the play ground! LOL ...also caused me to get some nasty scrapes on my arms when I landed...

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was only sparring, but i went in for a jumping backfist or something and ended up giving him a front kick while in the air, but from the side. Unintentionally, too.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, no. Never.

The (thankfully) few encounters it was just basic stuff, just trying to get out alive and in one piece.

The simple stuff worked though.... I'm still here.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not me, but a friend of mine told me he saw two guys get in a fight, and when the first one went in for a punch to the second one's face, the guy immediately crouched back on his hind leg and then instantly sprang up to a jump spinning back kick to the first guy's head and knocked him out. Afterwards, the guy wouldn't tell anybody what he studied or talk about it at all. That's the story anyway.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only been in one 'real' fight in my adult life (I generally avoid such things to the best of my abilities). In that fight, I made use of years of training and tuition to do three simple techniques. None had much flash to them, the only part showing how long I'd been studying being where I held onto one attacker, as a shield to another whilst kicking a third.

Flash in situations that are serious is an oxymoron. In large part, the showy and exuberant techniques within an empty-hand art are there to teach the physical and mental control you need to do the simple things under extreme pressure.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd wager you'd get charged with excessive force on either for sure! I remember when I first learned Dance of Death I joked that the name should be changed to "Kicking the Corpse." LOL

Anyway...when I was like 12 or so I managed to pull off a Rock & Roll Express dropkick on a bully at school. Knocked him clear across the play ground! LOL ...also caused me to get some nasty scrapes on my arms when I landed...

"Rock & Roll Express dropkick" priceless. Brings back some good memories :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I find curling up in a fetal position with lots of crying has worked best for me in the past. Either they felt bad for me or thought I was crazy, but at least I'm still here in one piece. :)

Latest Discussions