As I keep saying....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An eloquent and elegant description of Mixed Martial Arts.

for those of you you can get BBC4 Nov 2nd, at 2200h the documentary about us females in MMA is on.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nevermind, I looked her up. She is small. Only 5'3" and 125. I like watching some of the women more than the men. Sometimes more action.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, I looked her up. She is small. Only 5'3" and 125. I like watching some of the women more than the men. Sometimes more action.

Many of our ladies are small. Rosi fights in America, she fought Debi Purcell recently and has fought Gina Carano even though Gina was many pounds overweight. another friend of mine Lisa Higo also fought in America, she beat three other women (in one night) to beome world champion.
womens MMA is much stronger in Japan and Europe, it's taken very seriously same as the mens. MMA over here is 'quieter', more traditional in outlook than in the States, probably because there's little money involved. Rosi is a pro fighter but doesn't make her living at fighting, as she says she's studying to be an osteopath ( shes good already!) and she'll coach, do seminars etc but there's no money involved.
We do far less of the 'lay and pray' stuff, most of us are TMA, karate or TKD usually so grappling is an adjunct to fighting. We have little or no wrestling here other than the old tradtional styles so it's not often here than you get boring fights.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I actually think it's cool that women get involved in MMA both for the sport and the encouragement to other women to get involved in some form of SD.

I remember watching one fight with a pretty girl who then proceeded to get her face smashed in by some mad looking Irish girl with pink hair.

I know I shouldn't but I kind of felt sorry for the girl who got bust up as I know how important personal appearance is to some women.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think it's cool that women get involved in MMA both for the sport and the encouragement to other women to get involved in some form of SD.

I remember watching one fight with a pretty girl who then proceeded to get her face smashed in by some mad looking Irish girl with pink hair.

I know I shouldn't but I kind of felt sorry for the girl who got bust up as I know how important personal appearance is to some women.

The girl with the coloured hair is Ash the Bash! Aka Aisling Daly trained by John Kavanagh in Dublin, the other girl is Aysen Berik both are pro fighters and she wasn't worried about her face. Aysen is the sister of another pro fighter Sami Berik who's main style is CMA.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do far less of the 'lay and pray' stuff, most of us are TMA, karate or TKD usually so grappling is an adjunct to fighting. We have little or no wrestling here other than the old tradtional styles so it's not often here than you get boring fights.
Yes, you have educated me on the differences between the styles of here and there. I tend to like what I see overseas more than what I see here in the States.

Thanks.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershir.../01/16/james_thompson_interview_feature.shtml

This is an older interview with another Brit, he's still fighting though.

This is Dan Hardy
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...-Hardy-already-looking-to-life-after-UFC.html

This is Martin Stapleton's blog from TUF 9. Stapes is one of my heroes, he fought on one of our shows last year and he really is a star.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2229

another favourite of mine, Neil Grove a karateka who went through the 30 man kumite to get his BB. yep he still does kata too.
http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/wrestling-wwe-ufc-mma/2009/08/neil-grove-the-road-to-redempt.html

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
She was very eloquent and well-spoken; impressive. Wish I got BBC4... I don't suppose BBCAmerica will show it? LOL

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She was very eloquent and well-spoken; impressive. Wish I got BBC4... I don't suppose BBCAmerica will show it? LOL

They may as a lot of it was filmed while both Rosi and Lisa were fighting in America so they may consider it has international interest. I haven't seen it yet but I was filmed reffing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't end up on the cutting room floor!

Latest Discussions