Senior Master
Reaction score
200px-Butterfinger-karate.jpg

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, your rate is higher because you're supporting the Buy Josh Oakley a Maserati fund.

lucky you!

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
FYI

Wesley Snipes is friends with, an former employer of, and student of Steve "Sanders" Muhammed.

fyi, rumor is, he is a 4th degree in kempo.(?)
Now, i myself have not seen the certifacate, but i have heard he is damned fast with his hands.(?)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI

Wesley Snipes is friends with, an former employer of, and student of Steve "Sanders" Muhammed.

Being friends wasn't enough to change his bio. My google search came up empty in regards to Kenpo, like I pretty much already new because his style that he uses, at least for his movies, is more traditional than Kenpo.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is from his bio:

However, he readily admits that he draws on several martial styles for his fight scenes, and it's easy to see influences in his choreography from tae kwon do, hapkido, kenpo karate, and Filipino weapon arts.

He may use some of it.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now, we should start a thread on Snipes!
It does say shotokan, but then kempo.
(?)
we have another x-files case here!
LOL!!!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is from his bio:

However, he readily admits that he draws on several martial styles for his fight scenes, and it's easy to see influences in his choreography from tae kwon do, hapkido, kenpo karate, and Filipino weapon arts.

He may use some of it.

You posted a Wiki-link...is that the "bio" you're referring to?

Now, we should start a thread on Snipes!
It does say shotokan, but then kempo.
(?)
we have another x-files case here!
LOL!!!

I'm sure, like many martial artists, that he has a primary root style but has ventured out to train with and therfore be influenced by other martial arts outside of said root style.

If some feel the necissity to bicker over what his "style" is, then go for it. LOL But he's had a large kenpo influence if for no other reason than his close association with Mr. Muhammed. If you want to know more about him, you can read what he wrote about himself in "The Journey"; a book about many of American Kenpo's seniors.

What "style" somebody is can not be easily answered in many cases. I currently "claim" kenpo as my style but I've studied since I was a kid. I hold belts in TKD and Ju Jitsu as well...I've also been influenced by things I learned in the military... not to mention having trained with people who specialize in Arnis, Hopkido, Aikido, and so on...

I guess my point is that it's probably more apt to ask a martial artist what their influences are than what their "style" is.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first google search was Wesly Snipes Karate. The results were sightly differant when I changed the search to Wesly Snipes Kenpo Karate, thats where I found that quote.

But the bios on him seem for the most part are the same.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
You posted a Wiki-link...is that the "bio" you're referring to?

I'm sure, like many martial artists, that he has a primary root style but has ventured out to train with and therfore be influenced by other martial arts outside of said root style.

If some feel the necissity to bicker over what his "style" is, then go for it. LOL But he's had a large kenpo influence if for no other reason than his close association with Mr. Muhammed. If you want to know more about him, you can read what he wrote about himself in "The Journey"; a book about many of American Kenpo's seniors.

What "style" somebody is can not be easily answered in many cases. I currently "claim" kenpo as my style but I've studied since I was a kid. I hold belts in TKD and Ju Jitsu as well...I've also been influenced by things I learned in the military... not to mention having trained with people who specialize in Arnis, Hopkido, Aikido, and so on...

I guess my point is that it's probably more apt to ask a martial artist what their influences are than what their "style" is.

i do concur with you on that.

Latest Discussions