suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
and does it really matter who gave him his black belt ? :toilclaw:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well does it matter now, no. Should it matter yes, we all have a lineage and was trained by someone. Nobody woke up and said I am a Black Belt today.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did start the thread...

so I sort of figured you might care. :shrug:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well does it matter now, no. Should it matter yes, we all have a lineage and was trained by someone. Nobody woke up and said I am a Black Belt today.
Go to any McDojo and you'll find plenty of guys who started out that way years ago. :lol:

But I think Parker gotten his BB from whomever he learned Kenpo from back in Hawaii then went from there with creating EPAK

From Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Parker
Some time in the 1940s, Ed Parker was first introduced to Kenpo by Frank Chow. Frank Chow introduced Ed Parker to William Chow, with whom Parker trained while serving in the Coast Guard and attending Brigham Young University. In 1953 he was promoted to the rank of black belt.

Damon1698

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
William Chow? Idk but thats it maybe? he was saying something in an interview that "ed parker claims hes a black belt under me when hes just a purple" something along those lines

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
is this something that has been talked about many times before ? or is it something thats contreversial that no ones wants to talk about ? or is it a lil of both ?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
is this something that has been talked about many times before ? or is it something thats contreversial that no ones wants to talk about ? or is it a lil of both ?
I thought you didn't care?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
You answered your own question, didn't seem like you wanted much discussion in the first place.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
so whats the real story behind that black belt ?

o i get it you know and you dont want no one else to know - its all good ... take it to your grave brother !

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
If it turned out that Ed Parker was never a black belt would it invalidate the incredible impact that he made in the martial arts world? Did the strip of colored cloth really that he wore provide him with his knowledge, ability, teaching skills, or genius?

We make too much of a bit of fabric.
Mark

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even if he didn't, he earned it by seeking more knowledge and what it took him to get where he arrived.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude - it has nothing to do with keeping anything secret. You were as clear as mud.

Bottom line, he claimed he earned one from Chow, Chow denied this. Neither men are around to explain so we are left with nothing more than conjecture and speculation.

In the end does it matter? Parker was talented and made a huge impact to the MA world especially here in America.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude - it has nothing to do with keeping anything secret. You were as clear as mud.

Bottom line, he claimed he earned one from Chow, Chow denied this. Neither men are around to explain so we are left with nothing more than conjecture and speculation.

In the end does it matter? Parker was talented and made a huge impact to the MA world especially here in America.

Short Answer, Parker earned his blackbelt under Chow.

Long Answer:

1) Chow earned his BB under Chow, there are pictures of Parker training with Chow in which he is wearing it.

2) There WAS NO purple belt when Parker trained with Chow, so that couldn't have been a possibility

3) Chow, while a great martial artist, was very bitter in the end and would vent about people if asked. It is more likely, he was bad mouthing Parker due to his success while Chow was broke and pennyless.

In the end, both were great martial artists and contributed alot to various systems today.

More importantly, how does that effect what you are doing to better yourself and protect yourself?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a strange beginning to a thread.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember Villari being ostracized for "elaborating" his credentials....Now I hear (sorry I lead a very sheltered life) Parker did the same... I think the journey & where it leads somebody is more important than how it started...still though...it's not nice to fabric a truth....regardless of the intent....not saying we're not all guilty of it...just saying it's not nice....

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Short Answer, Parker earned his blackbelt under Chow.

2) There WAS NO purple belt when Parker trained with Chow, so that couldn't have been a possibility

NuuanuYMCA1950copy.jpg

Latest Discussions