What does

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just curious after reading so many threads about what brought people to TKD, so for this I went the opposite way what has made you stay with TKD and if you left and came back to it why? I know about the art but what drives you to the point of fallen in love with it?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just curious after reading so many threads about what brought people to TKD, so for this I went the opposite way what has made you stay with TKD and if you left and came back to it why? I know about the art but what drives you to the point of fallen in love with it?

I really don't know... somewhere around the third lesson - when I'd bought a dobok I really couldn't afford, but really wanted - I realized that something had just "clicked" - that I had found something I hadn't realized I was missing. That was 21 years ago - and I've never left.

PEP-REP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
THat is a good question lol

I was real young when I started and I always like sparring and going to tournaments and as I got older and started competing on a state and national level with the then AAU then the USTU.. I had alot of success with it was offered a job by my instructor and the rest is history.. I couldnt even imagine my life without TKD.. It is who I am

Glenn

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Quite easy for me, the people who I train with! Not everyone but i have made a few close friends who are like family to me now

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stupidity terry, that is what has kept me in.

See I'm 5' 8" with short legs. TKD is more of a kicking art. So you see the stupidity part. Lots of people outrange me. Man I hate sparring 6 ft guys with long legs.

I stayed in more cause I liked the workouts and while short ranged, I learned to kick well. I also learned to be agressive. Fortunatly I, in my later years, have learned to punch real well to!

I hope in time to get black belts in a few other arts to round out my education (TKD isn't everything cause there is no 'everything' art IMO.) No, I'm not getting them by belt transfer (many arts give you credit for belts in other arts and you can actually transfer Dan rank.) I wanna earn my rank so I really do understand the other arts. Takes more time and money, but you really do understand the arts.

Anyway, I'm pretty comfortable with TKD and I love to kick a bunch.

Deaf

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hate to exercise. I have to get some exercise though, so I do the only two things I can stand to do.

1) The TKD

2) go to the weight lifting gym

So, you see, for me, it is mostly about fitness, but I have a strong affection for my Instructor and others, they are good people. I enjoy this practice, but I do not practice so much for fighting people or for tournaments. It is mostly for fitness, and I admit that to myself.

I will say that IF there were an American Kenpo school that was in my city -- NOT private lessons, and not some derivation of the kenpo other than Ed Parker's -- then I would instead practice that.

But, there is not, so I continue with the TKD.

I have tried also the Aikido, with a good Teacher at a good School, it is very established, and is very highly regarded. It was quite amazing, but I just could not "get it". There are subtle things with that martial art that are very difficult for me to understand.

TKD, though, I have a good enough understanding of the motions now so that it is generally pleasant to do. And the way that the classes are run -- warm up line exercises, and so forth, it suits my personality.

Still, it is a shame to live and die without being the American Kenpo student, in a school of other people doing the same. I can imagine practicing, say the Five Swords with the fellow Student -- some 7 or so motions, wonderfully packaged in the combination.

It would be done as a count of '2'. The first part -- FAST MOTIONS -- up to the point of the solar plexus strike. Then some pause happens of course, enough for the partner to be bent over as a result of that strike -- this is modern science!

Then, the finishing strikes, again -- not '1', '2', but -- '1'. To practice with partners such that we can strike each other FAST with these motions -- and give good contact, but not to penetrate and give injury -- but to have the FAST strikes contact "just enough" -- just perfect.

Ah, one can dream, I suppose. Oh, to be young again! I would be there! I would give it all up to find a school go the distance!

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Deaf Smith and NewGuy12, I am in it for the same reasons both you are in it. I hate working out so TKD gives me something to do while getting fit. I have looked at Kenpo as well and I may try that in a few years.

I am 5'8" and built like a tank with no flexibility at all. I cannot (and never have been able to) touch my toes, the closest I come is about 6 inches from them. My high kicks reach waist or sometimes shoulder height if I am lucky.

I am not built like a TKD person and I do not have the flexibility but that is also why I like it. It is a challenge to me to kick high and fast. I will never be as good as a lot of the people at our dojang, physics and nature are against me, but I can always be better than I was last week. If I was in a martial art that liked people built like tanks I could get a black belt fairly easily but what would be the fun in that? I would only be proving to myself what I already know.

I keep fit, I challenge myself and I have fun. What more could I want?

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
See I'm 5' 8" with short legs. TKD is more of a kicking art. So you see the stupidity part. Lots of people outrange me. Man I hate sparring 6 ft guys with long legs.
I would look at that as an advantage, Deaf. Sure, they out range you, but when you're at a range that's good for you, you're inside their defences. :) And I know what you mean, though. I'm 5'7", and inherited my dad's short legs rather than my mom's long ones. GRRRR! :D

For me, three things have me here.
  1. This is something my son and I enjoy doing together.
  2. I'm a Type II diabetic, so it'll help me take off some weight and get into better shape.
  3. I just think martial arts, in general, are one of the most amazing human developments, and TKD is my personal favourite. (Especially since, while I may have short legs, they're fairly strong.)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first saw David Carradine in "Kung Fu" (back when it was new :lol: ) I wanted to grow up to be just like Kwai Chang, and TKD is close enough. :) I don't care that is is kicking heavy as compared to say Seido or Kyokushin, or not a CMA. I don't take it for the self defense or the sparring so much as I take it to be able to close my eyes and do the forms in silent meditation and escape working in investment banking IT with a big mortgage at home and everything else life has to offer ;) TKD has added a subconscious layer of happiness to my life, because it is allowing me to grow and fulfill a goal I've had in the back of my head since 1970 or so (or whenever Kwai Chang first hit the Western Desert). I love to go to class, and I love to practice the new material as soon as we learn it. I love the school, the instructors, the whole vibe of the dojang. I love the ease of moves that have been practiced 1000 times and are as natural as pouring water out of a glass now. I can't wait to instruct either, and hopefully help others to get to where they want to be.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stupidity terry, that is what has kept me in.

I stayed in more cause I liked the workouts and while short ranged, I learned to kick well. I also learned to be agressive. Fortunatly I, in my later years, have learned to punch real well to!

I hope in time to get black belts in a few other arts to round out my education (TKD isn't everything cause there is no 'everything' art IMO.) No, I'm not getting them by belt transfer (many arts give you credit for belts in other arts and you can actually transfer Dan rank.) I wanna earn my rank so I really do understand the other arts. Takes more time and money, but you really do understand the arts.

Anyway, I'm pretty comfortable with TKD and I love to kick a bunch.

Deaf

Excellent points and glad to see you want to continue your training with other styles as well.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ithink I felt in love of TKD because the kicks, but the real ones, I mean not the fancy flying spining spining multiple kicks and offcourse Chuck Norris who trained TSD the predecesor of TKD.

Manny

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
NewGuy12,

Yea to be young again. But as the old saying goes, "to old to soon, to wise to late". Ain't it always like that?

igillman,

Have you ever heard of PNF streaching?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching

I swear by it. It will help you alot.

Windsinger,

I'd agree but some of these 6 footers are smart dudes and use their long legs to good advantage! Now as for SD, I'm real confident of my hands and feet. Particulary my hands at the drop of a hat (I've had boxing as well as other things to make them go!)

And windsinger, I have high blood pressure. I to keep the weight off.

Have any of you guys ever seen high school pictures from the 1920s to the 50s. No one was fat! No McDonalds, no Burgerkings, no driveins. We have cursed ourselves with our plenty.

Keep the weight off and enjoy the martial arts.

Deaf

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh, that's a tough one. Let's see. I've stuck with my Tae Kwon Do training because I enjoy getting to come to class and getting a good workout. The main reasons though are because going to class no longer feels like I'm working with people that I barely know. All the students and instructors alike have become sort of like a second family to me. It's hard to explain, but I just love how real we can be with each other. There's little competition and everyone helps everyone else.

Then there's also the fact that it challenges me to become a better person and a better martial artist. I've always been on the shy side and TKD has really brought me out of my comfort zone. My instructors push me to do my best and even to speak up and through their hard work and never letting me get off easy, they've taught me to be more outspoken and confident with the way I go about everyday life. Teaching others was my main weak point and through all this it's gradually gotten easier. All the reasons I mentioned are things I never would have thought I would get out of a martial arts class and I absolutely love going to class and learning more and more every week.

Deaf Smith said:
See I'm 5' 8" with short legs.
Windsinger said:
I'm 5'7", and inherited my dad's short legs rather than my mom's long ones.

I'm shorter, standing at a grand total of. . .5' 3" and not getting any taller. It makes me glad that we have some younger students in the class because that means I'm not the shortest one.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I left TKD when I was in my early twenties and didn't get back until I was thirty nine. I had made some attempts at starting back, but as a custodial single parent of two kids, time and money just never seemed to align. Finally, it was my younger son who brought me back to martial arts. My eldest had taken tang soo do through Thomkins karate when he was about eight and my youngest had been only marginally interested.

We used to go to a bookstore that was next to a pawn shop. One day, the pawn shop was gone and there was a big sign up that read, "Karate/Kendo" instead. He said that he wanted to check it out. He liked what he saw and so did I. I told him that if his report card was good and if he was still interested, we'd sign up together. The school year ended and he made the honor role, so in we went. I was all ready to sign us up for taekwondo, but when we went in, the kendo class was running and he said, "I wanna do that!" I'd never done kendo, so that's what we did. We started the class, and of course, found that it was called 'kumdo' in our dojang. Grandmaster Kim runs it as a traditional kendo school, with Korean language being the only difference.

I earned my first dan in kumdo and then my second dan. All the while, Master Kim kept asking me to try out taekwondo too. By this point, I was instructing kumdo three days a week, my older son had signed up and was working towards his first dan and wanted to do taekwondo also. I figured that we were there enough so why not? Plus I had wanted to get back to taekwondo again for quite some time.

Almost two years later, I'm working towards my first dan in taekwondo. My eldest is a couple of belts behind me and my youngest has since joined the class (he just earned his yellow tip). I really love it and hope to be instructing taekwondo at some point in the future. I can finally kick as high as I could when I was twenty and I'm probably more flexible now than I was then (I was never all that flexible in the first place). My health is fantastic. Needless to say, I'm back for life.

Daniel