JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Name the system (s) you train in
2. What is the formal name for
- Horse Stance
- Bow Stance / Bow and Arrow Stance

I'm writing about some basic stances and want to share with my readers other names that are used for these stances.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing.... because we use different names, we don't necessarily know what stances you're asking about. We have something called a horse stance, but it may or may not be the same horse stance you're talking about. And since we do not have anything called a bow or bow and arrow stance, I have no idea what to tell you...

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's the thing.... because we use different names, we don't necessarily know what stances you're asking about. We have something called a horse stance, but it may or may not be the same horse stance you're talking about. And since we do not have anything called a bow or bow and arrow stance, I have no idea what to tell you...
good point. I'll get some pictures to go with it

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Horse stance typically looks similar to this shape. The reason I say shape because I know there will be variety in how horse stance is done.
1625939068053.png

The bow stance generally takes on this shape. Again it doesn't have to be the exact look.
1625939347941.png

Attachments

• 1625939334236.png
    1625939334236.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 66

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
juchum seogi, and apgubi soegi (or something phonetically close to this). I believe they translate into "riding stance" and "long/deep front stance" respectively. I have also heard them called side stance and square stance.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
juchum seogi, and apgubi soegi (or something phonetically close to this). I believe they translate into "riding stance" and "long/deep front stance" respectively. I have also heard them called side stance and square stance.
Thanks. These are the names used in Tae Kwon Do right?

D

Deleted member 39746

The closest thing i can think of if memory serves me right for the TKD i did was called a sitting stance if i recall it correctly. which i think is just the TKD name for horse stance varients in general.

This is Anglicisation of this as well.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes sir. in Japanese Karate they have the same english names as TKD but are called Kiba dachi and Zenkutsu dachi respectively however, the karate kiba dachi tends to sit lower than the TKD juchum seogi.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do an old (nearly extinct) style of Tae Kwon-Do.
- We call the first one, Riding Horse Form (or Horse Stance)
- The second we call a Forward Stance.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horse stance typically looks similar to this shape. The reason I say shape because I know there will be variety in how horse stance is done.
View attachment 26978
MDK and KKW would call that a horse stance. ITF calls it chair sitting.
The bow stance generally takes on this shape. Again it doesn't have to be the exact look.
View attachment 26980
Front stance. The KKW also teaches a version which is more upright that is called walking stance.
No, they're names used in that particular branch.
The closest thing i can think of if memory serves me right for the TKD i did was called a sitting stance if i recall it correctly. which i think is just the TKD name for horse stance varients in general.

This is Anglicisation of this as well.
Incorrect. There is a minority branch of TKD that calls it chair sitting stance. Stick to what you train in.
Oh. Wait...
I do an old (nearly extinct) style of Tae Kwon-Do.
- We call the first one, Riding Horse Form (or Horse Stance)
- The second we call a Forward Stance.
There are no TKD styles that have been around long enough to be called "old"... There was no Taekwondo until 1957.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, they're names used in that particular branch.
That's for the clarification of that one. Branch name vs system names make a big difference. I'm wondering if some of these names will eventually change based on today's modern environment. For example, not many people can related to sitting on a horse. Some kids probably can't even imagine a black and white TV or a computer nobs and magnetic tape.

Hung Fist makes no sense to many people today, but if I say Knocking fist. People are able to form a fist used for knocking which is a similar shape to Hung Fist. It's only a matter of time until the stances get a name update.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are no TKD styles that have been around long enough to be called "old"... There was no Taekwondo until 1957.
ha ha ha.. some people would call that old.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We would call your horse stance a 'shiko dachi' in Isshinryu karate. Ours is not as deep.
We would call your bow and arrow stance a 'zen kutsu dachi' if I interpret the position of the feet in your stance correctly.

D

Deleted member 39746

Incorrect. There is a minority branch of TKD that calls it chair sitting stance. Stick to what you train in.
Oh. Wait...
I have done said minority TKD probbly. I know it as sitting stance and have been told the closest thing to it is sitting stance.

I dont think either of us wants to try and find a source in EVERY TKD dojang out there.

And i stuck to what i was TRAINED in, per how this forum seems to use trained and my reply has not changed. (note the tense) Nice try though.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I do 2 martial arts shotokan and kenpo

In shotokan we call horse stance Kiba Dachi
In Kenpo karate we jus simply call it Horse Stance also in Kenpo we have Neutral Bow and forward bow stance

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We would call your horse stance a 'shiko dachi' in Isshinryu karate. Ours is not as deep.
We would call your bow and arrow stance a 'zen kutsu dachi' if I interpret the position of the feet in your stance correctly.
I was scanning through the comments and yours stood out to me, Bill. Just for my clarity and understanding, do you also have a 'kiba' dachi in Issinryu or is this stance referred only referred to as 'shiko' dachi.

In Kyokushin we have both stances that are nearly identical except for the positions of the feet. In Kiba dachi, the feet are parallel. In Shiko dachi the feet are pointing outward (passed 45 degrees) .

Kiba dachi = horse stance = feet parallel, 2 shoulder widths apart approximately.
Shiko dachi = sumo stance = feet pointed outward, 2 shoulder widths apart approximately.