What does rA(C)sumA(C) mean?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ran into the following in an email newsletter today.

Any ideas on how we can be effective in managing our local IT support when we are organizational orphans? Or do I need to get the rA(C)sumA(C) out?

What in the world does rA(C)sumA(C) mean? I googled the term, but the few returned results didn't help much as it seemed to be used in different ways.

Unix commands, mathematical terms, . . .? Any ideas? Will I kick myself when I get the answer?

Thanks!

-crushing

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ran into the following in an email newsletter today.

What in the world does rA(C)sumA(C) mean? I googled the term, but the few returned results didn't help much as it seemed to be used in different ways.

Unix commands, mathematical terms, . . .? Any ideas? Will I kick myself when I get the answer?

Thanks!

-crushing

From the context, it sounds like e-network buzzslang. I'll ask our department's sysadmin if he recognizes it...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, it looks like he tried to spell resume with accents, and somewhere along the line the characters got modified.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, it looks like he tried to spell resume with accents, and somewhere along the line the characters got modified.

You'd have to assume that the sender thought that both instances of e in resume have acute accents, but yeah... it does kind of look like that's what happened...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently, it's true: both e-instances in the `correct' spelling of "resume" have acute accents... I'd only seen spelling with the second one accented... this pretty well confirms Kreth's suggestion.

The funny thing is that the poor sod probably figured he was going to earn points of some kind by showing his sophisticated awareness of how this only partially absorbed borrowing from French should be spelled, and all he wound up doing was making his post completely incomprehensible... don't you just hate it when that happens?? :EG:

OP
C

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ah, I'll bet you are right. Thanks. I was thinking the sum of A as it approaches the value C and other totally unrelated things trying to figure it out.

Tried to rep ya, but it says I must spread it around some first.

I'll bet the sites of the google hits also couldn't handle the accents. I thought he was asking if he should get the hell out, and that's why I didn't think the context of its usage was the same as the google hits. Now the search results make more sense too.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's fairly common on mailing lists. Accented letters and sometimes punctuation get transposed.