What does everybody think about this instructor?

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
http://www.bakido.com/

I have some friends who are signing up for karate classes here, and were asking me about my opinion. I'm going to check them out, but I wanted to get some other opinions on this place also. What does everybody think?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know diddly about this instructor.

That being said I see two things on his webpage that raises alarm bells:

1) He is a founder of his own system. OK sure, he might be the next Ed Parker, but seeing this tends to make me skeptical of the place, certainly I would go in with a critical eye.

2) His evening classes are open to ages 5 and up. This sounds more like a day care than a martial arts class. An adult cannot practice effective self defense with someone who weighs a quarter of their weight. Evening matching different age/size partners you will have issues with how different age people learn new material. This is actually more worrisome to me than the guy founding his own art.

Good luck, take a look at some other options while you are in the market,

Lamont

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't list how he went from first dan in Hapkido to 10th dan. The Black Belt hall of fame confers tenth degree? He won a lot of awards in knife throwing. Has alot of bodyguard and security history and from first dan built that up to teach. It doesn't talk about the art he teaches very much though. His version of Hapkido? "Bakido" TW

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From his website:

He lists to "mutual dan ranking societies".....bogus organizations that basically they work like this.....you promote and recognise me and I do the same for you. They're a joke.

Accomplishments
1) Promoted to 10th Degree Black Belt by US Martial Arts Hall of Fame 2003
2) Grand Master Ba Ki Do - Promoted by The International Hall of Fame Martial Arts Council

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kind of a fast track to 6th dan don't ya think?? From 0 to 6th dan in 10 years??? I don't think so.

Master Kyle E. Cowan
6th Degree Black Belt - Bakido

Student Since : 1994
Instructor Since : May 1996
Currently majoring in Secondary Education

Promoted to 6th degree Black Belt on May 8, 2004

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is another:

Master Michael S. Snowden

Student Since : September 21, 1992
Instructor Since : May 1995
Currently Junior in College, majoring in Business

• 1st Degree Black Belt May 11, 1996
  • 5th Degree Black Belt October 14, 2000 – First 5th Degree in Bakido

and another:

Sensei Audrey West

2nd Degree Black Belt - Bakido

Student Since : May 2000

Instructor Since : May 2001
These kids are waaaaaay over ranked and they got rank too quickly.

I would steer clear of this "dan factory" if I were you.
If all you want is rank go our and by it....you don't have to even join a school just join one of thos Interent dan shops.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just as a side note, the Dan rankings in this art are not going to give us an accurate picture of the level of expertise. There may very well be 150 ranks of Dan there....:lookie:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Just as a side note, the Dan rankings in this art are not going to give us an accurate picture of the level of expertise. There may very well be 150 ranks of Dan there....:lookie:

True, but the titles "Master" and "sensei" are usually given to high ranks.

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's a lot of young 5th degrees. Unfortunatly, I don't know enough about the root style to determine if this is normal or not.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
5th degree should have mastered most of the key movement aspects of the art

1st to 2nd degree - at least 2 years
2nd to 3rd degree - at least 3 yearr
3rd to 4th degree - at least 4 years
5th to 5th degree - at least 5 years
start to 1st dan - at least 3 years

Total - at least 17 years

This is the ranking format we use ( and no we are not a total traditional school). You are looking at something shy of 20 years. BTW - This timetable is for the dedicated (2-3times a week in dojo, home workouts, tourny, semianrs). Which goes without saying, some putz does'nt need master instructor

My 2 cents
Todd

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Here is another:

Master M****** S. S******

Student Since : September 21, 1992
Instructor Since : May 1995
Currently Junior in College, majoring in Business

• 1st Degree Black Belt May 11, 1996
  • 5th Degree Black Belt October 14, 2000 – First 5th Degree in Bakido
Do I hear someone asking if you want fries with that? hmmmm.....

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it sounds dodgey to be honest, seems like a typical McDojo. I would search around for something else first and research that because that way you might not end up being disapointed. There could be nothing worst than training for two years and finding what you have learnt or what grade you are at is considerable lower that what the average grade is i.e. in tae kwon do it could be you are graded a red belt by this guy (for example) yet you are technically only at the stage of a green belt and your only a red belt because this guy wants your money and your support.
Just be weary!

G

Galvatron

Doctor of Philosophy by College of Advanced Education and the Department of Martial Arts Studies

Major "Red Flag" there.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Total B.S. 1st to 5th in only 5 years! Hold the onions on the big mac please.......................

saleenspdstr

White Belt
Reaction score
Hold up guys... my friends kid goes to this place and this is no McDojo. I've been to 4 of their tests and these guys are legit! They've got weapons, takedowns, chokeouts, knife throwing, archery... I'm not sure about the promotion process, but the black belt test I saw was almost 4 hours long! And that Snowden guy has been working there for like 10 years and going for even longer... they let anyone check out their tests so I'd actually go and see it for yourself... I did and these guys whoop ***!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the Archery is pretty cool. But I see it as others have pointed out more for geared and aimed(no pun intended) for children. Having visited similar schools myself I would think your average martial art adult would be bored here. But than again maybe some Adults like playing on Monkey bars and bowling with their martial art training.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even if I do not like the way he became a tenth dan i do not know him nor have I visited his school.
The best anyone can or could do is visit the school and watch a few classes. If they like what the see and it is what they are looking for then join.
I am not a big fan of promotion societies so I would be baised saying more

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hold up guys... my friends kid goes to this place and this is no McDojo. I've been to 4 of their tests and these guys are legit! They've got weapons, takedowns, chokeouts, knife throwing, archery... I'm not sure about the promotion process, but the black belt test I saw was almost 4 hours long! And that Snowden guy has been working there for like 10 years and going for even longer... they let anyone check out their tests so I'd actually go and see it for yourself... I did and these guys whoop ***!

A good point was brought up here by saleenspdstr. I'm not one to judge anyone according to my predetermined notions. I will say the progression of ranks and the study of education (which I've never heard of and I live in Texas) seem alittle hokie, but they are legit and do good things for the kids and people, so I have to give them credit and as Saleenspdstr pointed out if I want to actually see their stuff, I'll go there and then make a personal judgment on what I think.

Latest Discussions