What do you want done with your body when you die? Be buried, burnt to ash ect?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you want done with your body when you die? Be buried, burnt to ash, donated to science. etc?

In came up in a conversation yesterday and I I thought I am not sure what I would want. Im not religious so I dont need to take that into account.

So what do you think you would want?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to be sent off on a longship that gets lit on fire. I know vikings didn't actually do that, but it seems cool.

Since the chances of that happening or basically nil though, I don't really care. After I'm dead I won't have any sort of opinion on it, so whatever my family wants to do with it, is what they can do with it.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to go with cremation but I'm interested in the tree-pod burial methods that have been proposed. Mostly, I don't want anyone to spend a ton of money nor pollute the environment any more than necessary just to get rid of my dead body. Once I'm done with it I don't think I'll have a lot of opinions on the matter.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was going to go with cremation but I'm interested in the tree-pod burial methods that have been proposed. Mostly, I don't want anyone to spend a ton of money nor pollute the environment any more than necessary just to get rid of my dead body. Once I'm done with it I don't think I'll have a lot of opinions on the matter.

Tree-pod burial methods looks interesting. Never knew of that option. I like the idea of my body giving nutrients to another living thing.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Put a party hat on me and dance me around like "weekend at Bernies"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with Dirty Dog. But I want my ashes put in bullets and given to my wife to carry in her firearm.

Hey, the thread asked.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've told my wife to just dig a hole in the woods and plant a tree on my head. I don't think she'll manage that, but if she does, I hope she waits until I'm already dead.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's really for the family, so whatever they want is fine with me. My brother was cremated and is interred at the national cemetery in the Phoenix area, and my parents (both vets) also want to be buried there to be near Chris. I'm good with that, cremated and buried in Phoenix, though the national cemetery near my place in King County, WA is beautiful.

My Mother in Law wanted to be scattered in the sea. We couldn't scatter her ashes (I'm imagining the scene from the Big Lebowski) but we did work with the Washington State Ferry's to bury her at sea. It was quite nice. They stopped the ferry in the middle of the Puget Sound between Bainbridge and the Coleman Dock, we said a few brief words, and dropped her ashes (in a biodegradable container made for this) into the ocean. They beeped the horn a few times and off we went. Was really pretty darned cool.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just have to ask this question.

There are so many happy discussion subjects, why are we discussing sad subject like this?

Sad subject can make you sad. Sad motion can weaken your immunity system. Weak immunity system can cause cancer. Cancer can cause your death.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

There are so many happy discussion subjects, why are we discussing sad subject like this?

Sad subject can make you sad. Sad motion can weaken your immunity system. Weak immunity system can cause cancer. Cancer can cause your death.
"Show me the manner in which a nation cares for its dead and I will measure with mathematical exactness the tender mercies of its people, their respect for the laws of the land, and their loyalty to high ideals.” - Sir William Gladstone

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which subject is more fun to discuss?

- What will you do with your dead body?
- How can we enjoy our daily life?

I you always think about your death after the day you were born, you will live a vey unhappy life.

Run, jump, flip in the air, enjoy your life. Happy, happy, happy,

happy-running.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which subject is more fun to discuss?

- What will you do with your dead body?
- How can we enjoy our daily life?

I you always think about your death after the day you were born, you will live a vey unhappy life.

Run, jump, flip in the air, enjoy your life. Happy, happy, happy,

happy-running.jpg
I don't think it's a binary thing. Both can be interesting, and can give people a way to express a bit of their personality in discussion.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think it's a binary thing. Both can be interesting, and can give people a way to express a bit of their personality in discussion.
Some people like to watch sad movie. Some people only like to watch happen ending movie. Some people like to watch both.

A: How do your feel about your broken arm today?
B: My broken arm is fine. What bother me is you keep remind me my broken arm everyday.

If everyday in the morning when you turn on your TV, the 1st thing is the cancer hospital commercial, it won't take long, the cancer will come to you.

Why do we want to talk about "death"? We don't even understand the meaning of "life" yet?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just heard from Hoshin not fifteen minutes ago, that Van Canna, a tenth Dan in Uechi-ryu Karate, just died of Covid. He was such a good man. Had a profound influence on me when I was a white belt and throughout my entire career.

I'll spend a great part of the day talking to folks back home about him.

Death takes us all eventually. Sometimes you just have to talk about it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not sad to me but I get where you are coming from.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First and foremost I hope everyone lives their life in such a manner that death is not something they are worried about.
As far as the OP I already have it spelled out in my will. It is legal in TN to perform 'self' burials. Our family already has a cemetary on our main farm. As with other family members, there is to be one heck of a 'sendoff' party. Then a hole will be dug with our own equipment and that will be that. Don't need or want a fancy tombstone. A massive ripoff IMHO. It is already arranged so that I can be an organ donor. The body is returned in a body bag and that is the way I will go in the ground.
Originally I wanted to be cremated and scattered in the Tennessee River, which I would still be fine with but my wife says she prefer I be at the family cemetary.

Again, it is our life and our choices that matter.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people like to watch sad movie. Some people only like to watch happen ending movie. Some people like to watch both.

A: How do your feel about your broken arm today?
B: My broken arm is fine. What bother me is you keep remind me my broken arm everyday.

If everyday in the morning when you turn on your TV, the 1st thing is the cancer hospital commercial, it won't take long, the cancer will come to you.

Why do we want to talk about "death"? We don't even understand the meaning of "life" yet?
Again, the one doesn’t preclude the other. Discussing death isn’t always saddening, and doesn’t distract at all from trying to understand life. I’d argue that death is integral to life, so discussing death is part of understanding life.

Latest Discussions