What Do You Think of This?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She monitors her MySpace page, greeting every new friend.She sells make-up and skin cream from an Avon catalog.
She designs blouses and jokes as she stitches about creating her own label. The name? Sanctuary.
She helps her son with homework, tends to her Chihuahua and tidies up the bedroom they all share.
So time passes for Elvira Arellano inside these walls.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
On Aug. 15, 2006, Arellano defied a federal deportation order when she, along with her U.S.-born son, Saul, sought sanctuary in a storefront church on Chicago's Northwest side.

Article.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that there is a lot wrong - and right - with the US immigration policy, and until it is no longer economically viable for people to come to the US illegally, such incidents as this will continue to highlight the problems that plague the system.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think Elvira Arellano has broken the law by entering this country illegally, I don't think the situation is further complicated in that her child is a citizen (if she didn't break our immigration law her child wouldn't be a citizen). I've little sympathy, and less respect, for individuals that wish to live under the freedoms and opportunities offered by this country, but choose to circumvent the processes which we've established to provide the same.

We're a nation of laws, and it pisses me off when they are ignored; by anyone. My vote would be to deport her at the earliest convenience, along with the 10+ million others that are here in defiance of our laws. And then, seriously, welcome them back if they abide by the processes established by our government. It sickens me to think that so many will likely get a free pass when so many, many more struggled to join us legally.

This is a pretty hard line approach to what I perceive as the defining issue of our time, but sometimes you have to make a stand. I truly feel our country lies in the balance, and I fear that our elected officials don't have the mettle to make the correct choice (that would be, IMO, to enable the enforcement of our laws).

Latest Discussions