Rodney King: Abundant supply of "Get out of jail free" cards

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been reading through Rodney King's arrest record, and I'm surprised, that with all of the charges and convictions levied against him, that he isn't behind bars on a more permanent basis.

I wonder, does this character have a "do not incarcerate for any significant time" tag on him?

List of his arrests

2003 incident

I would think that with this kind of a past, that any such judgements would result in some serious jail time for him...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think that with this kind of a past, that any such judgements would result in some serious jail time for him...

He needs to go before a Jugde who decides to throw the book at him.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sad thing is that, ultimately this man will kill himself and probably take innocent folks with him. Nobody will riot over those innocents' deaths.

King, though, is not by any means unique. If you access the prior records of most headline making criminals, you will most times wonder," What was that guy doing out of jail and on the streets?"

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the links, I see quite a few arrests where cases are hard to make, and hard to convict (domestic assault, for example, despite must-arrest laws, which don't guarantee that the victim will cooperate in prosecution). I see a few where he probably was let off because of who he is... either at trial or by not being charged. And I see a few plea deals.

Actually, most of his problems fall into 3 categories: traffic (no o/l, window tint, etc), drugs (including DUI), and assaults -- which were primarily domestic. In that line -- he's got a pretty typical record.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
August 21, 1993: King crashed into a wall near a downtown Los Angeles nightclub. He had a blood alcohol level of 0.19. King was charged with violating his parole and sent for sixty day to an alcohol treatment center. He was also convicted on the DUI charge and ordered to perform twenty days of community service.

Did he sue the wall for attacking him?

Latest Discussions