Splits

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering on average how long it takes to achieve the splits? I've been stretching everyday for the past week and a half and haven't really noticed any difference in my flexibility.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To get significantly lower in my splits took a good solid 5 months, and largely that long because I didn't know at the time that I was going about improving the wrong way.

To make maximum gains in leg splits, START with your warm-up and workout FIRST. Then, with your muscles fully warmed, do your static stretching AFTER class, in a cool-down period. Hold each position for a minimum of 20 seconds (30 sec is better). Do not bounce.

For added help, use isometric (or PNF) stretching. Tighten the muscles you wish to stretch (in this case, grip the floor with your feet and tighten your leg muscles) for 10 or 15 seconds. Then immediately relax and drop lower in your stretch. Tightening the muscles suppresses your body's natural response to resist the stretch, long enough for you to stretch just a little bit farther. Also, as a rule, don't forget to develop strength for the same muscle groups you wish to stretch.

As a side note, please evaluate how important doing splits are to you and to your martial art. They are fun to do, and and it's always nice to see improvement. However, unless you are doing a lot of ground fighting/grappling, most martial arts require dynamic flexibility and strength, not static flexibility.

For lots more great info from people who know tons more than I do about splits and flexibility, check out this website.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some folks can with little effort. Some folks never will no matter what they do. I'd encourage to focus on stretching more in order to kick better, rather than as an end in itself. Plenty of folks can kick high & accurately with out being able to do the splits.

I'm not saying that it's not something to strive for if you want to. I'm just saying that it's not neccessary to be a great kicker.

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering on average how long it takes to achieve the splits? I've been stretching everyday for the past week and a half and haven't really noticed any difference in my flexibility.

Like IcemanSK said, you can stretch all you want, but some folks will never be able to do the splits no matter what they do.

But to answer your question, results don't just appear overnight. Just like using the bowflex; you won't be able to have those abs in one sitting. It takes time. My little brother started taking TKD 5 months ago, and it took him about 2 1/2 months to notice a difference. So my advice, keep trying do those regular split excercises if you really want it, but if you dont see any difference in a month or so, do excercises that will help your kicks!

Cheers!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some folks can with little effort. Some folks never will no matter what they do. I'd encourage to focus on stretching more in order to kick better, rather than as an end in itself. Plenty of folks can kick high & accurately with out being able to do the splits.

I'm not saying that it's not something to strive for if you want to. I'm just saying that it's not neccessary to be a great kicker.

I agree completely. Being able to do full splits is a nice goal... one I've never reached in 21 years of TKD, but I've never needed to, either. Some people have the musculature and ligature to be able to reach that level of flexibility, and some don't - but not being able to do full splits won't keep you from being a good kicker, either.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Iceman is right on here me I was able to do it once a long long time ago now I know it probaly will never happen again.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

One thing to keep in mind, is that its not going to happen over night. Everyones body is different, so some may get results quicker than others.

One thing that always seems to help me stretch, is making sure I'm warmed up very good before hand. After a good workout, I find I get my best stretch in.

My suggestion...take your time. Do a little every day, but I wouldn't over stretch. Over time, I'm sure you will see results. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to add something to illustrate what I'm trying to say. I started TKD at 14. I had full split as at 17. My kicks were nice & high. At 19, my right leg pulled out of the socket while stretching in full split. I've not been able to achieve full split since. At 40, my kicks are just as high & much strong than they were back then. This is what I mean by full split not being a neccesity to kick well.