What can a boxer gain from WC?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shifting. The front foot becomes the back foot and the straight punch ends on a 45 degree angle. Very different than typical boxing or kickboxing hip rotation. In boxing it's more of a pivot on the inside hip, where in WC one hip moves forward and the other backwards. Does this match your WC experience?
Some of the time but not always. More so with shifting the stance but rotation can happen with a direct forward step or an angled forward step as well.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's totally wrong to have to wait until the 2nd form to learn how to use the body. Also. I don't mean just turn the body but to turn the body with the punch.
What makes you think we don't do turning prior to learning the 2nd form?
There are no kicks or stepping in SNT either do you really think wc people don't learn kicking or stepping during the SNT phase of learning?
SNT is about learning the lines, elbow position, using the elbow, sinking the body, mental intent, among other things it certainly isn't just about punching straight ahead using only arm power. If so you really do not know much about wc.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes you think we don't do turning prior to learning the 2nd form?
There are no kicks or stepping in SNT either do you really think wc people don't learn kicking or stepping during the SNT phase of learning?
SNT is about learning the lines, elbow position, using the elbow, sinking the body, mental intent, among other things it certainly isn't just about punching straight ahead using only arm power. If so you really do not know much about wc.

Ya, we were doing footwork and movement drills on day one, long before chum kiu was introduced.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The reason why I feel like the Wing Chun punch is sufficient for fighting is because in the way I was taught, it can be delivered from various angles. For example you can punch from your fist starting anywhere in front of your chest and shoulders, and it can land anywhere on the opponents body. This allows for a lot of variation in striking angles and targets. If you learn to connect your elbow with your hip, you can generate a lot of power this way too. It's always the same "Chong Kuen" (thrusting punch) it's just that the starting position can change horizontally from the centre line to the shoulder line or anywhere in between, and vertically from as low as the belly button to as high as the shoulder.

You loose range. Which if you have you shouldn't give up.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did footwork the first two weeks I started. I did and still do find it challenging and awkward.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In your opinion, which one is more closer to the WC basic punch training?

1. Punch with body rotation.

2. Punch without body rotation.

In my school, we practice the turning punch (similar to the Baji one) more often.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Pin Sun Wing Chun the level one material has a set call "Dai Bong" or "big wing." This includes do a full 180 degree pivot while swinging the arms wide and upward. It is considered a conditioning set and a set to teach the full pivot.

The level two material has a set called "Saam Gin Choi" or "three arrow punch." The first of the 3 "arrows" is the "Pin Sun Choi" or "side body punch" and is an extended punch with a full pivot somewhat like the Baji example above. The body is turned completely into a "side body" position during the punch so that both shoulders are in a direct straight line with the extended arm. Yuen Kay Shan Wing Chun has this exact same punch in the San Sik they teach as preliminary material prior to the forms.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do people think judo BJJ is the best art for strikers?

I don't know about other strikers, but the sensitivity from Chi Sao would be very useful to help execute several Judo throws. (That was the first art I studied.)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your opinion, which one is more closer to the WC basic punch training?

1. Punch with body rotation.

2. Punch without body rotation.
What do you mean by 'basic' punch training.
We have the punching as shown in SNT and do a lot of it on the wall bags. It is to teach the student to relax the shoulders and to push and pull with the elbow however, that punch is not the punch we teach as a fundamental for striking.

Neither of the videos represent the rotation we do but the closest would be #1.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'basic' punch training.
In the long fist system, before I train any form, I do all the stretching, kicking drills, and punching drills.

One of the punching drills (usually 60 rep) that I do is:

1. Face north.
2. Stand both feet with shoulder width with fists on both sides of the waist.
3. Drop down to low horse stance.
4. Straight both legs (power from ground and up), turn body to the west (power from back to front), and punch out right fist. The right arm, right shoulder, chest, and back shoulder are all in one perfect straight line (this give the maximum reach).
5. Repeat 3, 4 for the other side.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know about other strikers, but the sensitivity from Chi Sao would be very useful to help execute several Judo throws. (That was the first art I studied.)

Should help with any throw.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you use WC Tan Shou that your forearm touch on your opponent's forearm, if you just extend your arm, you can wrap his punching arm. That will give you that Judo sleeve hold.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the long fist system, before I train any form, I do all the stretching, kicking drills, and punching drills.

One of the punching drills (usually 60 rep) that I do is:

1. Face north.
2. Stand both feet with shoulder width with fists on both sides of the waist.
3. Drop down to low horse stance.
4. Straight both legs (power from ground and up), turn body to the west (power from back to front), and punch out right fist. The right arm, right shoulder, chest, and back shoulder are all in one perfect straight line (this give the maximum reach).
5. Repeat 3, 4 for the other side.
Cool.

I start with 3 minutes of wall bag punching working the elbow positioning and wrist abduction on each punch. Average 400-450 punches in the round.
Then with a partner holding focus mitts 3 minutes of angled stepping and full straight punch with body rotation driven off the rear foot. Average 150 punches in the round. Both the pad holder and the puncher get get footwork practice one advancing, one yielding and always working on angles.
Then we do some stretching and begin training.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, OK.... for all the WC haters out there, how about this one:

What can a boxer gain from Wing Chun???

...A couple of easy KOs!!!
:p:D

...oh, wait, I'm a WC guy. Not supposed to be trashing my own style. Sorry! :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I chi saued a dude in sparring today. Yeah kinda works.

He tried to fence me of with his lead hand. I crossed with mine. Patted the arm down and fired a jab cross off it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
chunners addressing this issue that you can't really see punches coming at speed.

I would suggest that the defence should preempt likley attacks. He says the defence is an attack. It is sorta kinda the same thing.

This is why in boxing you strike off the center line not on it.

If you can jam a guy up. That will also work.