What basic fighting skills to teach

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
摔跤 Shuai Chiao, or Shuai Jiao.

In SC, the hip throw is the mother of all throws.

Chang-underhook-hip-throw.gif

Lin-hip-throw-solo.gif
Do you guys train those how do they say it high altitude throws used in San shou/Sanda? I want to compete in San shou one day in the near future, I've sparred San shou rules and had gym fights but nothing sanctioned but the Sanda throws are the coolest.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you guys train those how do they say it high altitude throws used in San shou/Sanda?
This SC demo video was done by my student and his students.

Since Sanda has no ground game, to remain balance and mobility are emphasized during the throw.

my-leg-twist-leg-block.gif

Last edited:

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Since Sanda has no ground game, to remain balance and mobility are emphasized during the throw.

This looked pretty good. I liked how they start from a no grip situation and at striking distance. This looked like a military combatives program.

I have never seen anyone continue to hop around after completing an Uchi Mata, that was strange, but all of the throws looked pretty solid.

OP
C

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've ordered some boxing gloves and mouthguards. Is there a best practice to start them off sparring? These are quite big kids in some cases. I'm concerned about avoiding injury.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've ordered some boxing gloves and mouthguards. Is there a best practice to start them off sparring? These are quite big kids in some cases. I'm concerned about avoiding injury.
Start them off with touch sparring, rules: no solid punches and we aren't trying to knock each other out or prove anything, this is just a drill we are gonna use to work on some stuff, just tap each other, like throw the punch but minimum power and light contact, just touch sparring, you tap him in the head 1 point but just a tap nothing hard. Then after a while of touch sparring you can move them up to light contact which is actually connecting with punches but low power. Touch sparring just like in the name just touch or tap each other, still use the same punch but with minimum amount of force, we used to do this alot in kickboxing it will get them some experience without risk. I wouldn't do light contact until they figure out some stuff like how hard they can hit and stuff. But touch sparring is good for a while.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You may start with one person play offense and one person play defense first. Since the person who plays defense won't hit back, the attacker can be more relax and has better control.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First thing I would do are punching drills towards the head. have one child be at a distance where the punch doesn't land. The child that is punching is working on control of power and distance. The other child is working on defense block parties an covers. He or she should be focused on keeping the same distance that they start off with where the punch is too far to land. if the child is too far. Let that child know that they can shorten the distance. This gets them familiar with incoming punches and build control. Once the are comfortable with that then have them try to land strikes to the body. I would do contact to the head until have the control at a high level. Including control of emotions.

Intensity should only increase according to ability. If they can't block the slow stuff then they definition block the fast stuff

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I highly recommend you utilize the gloves for this purpose. Basically make it a potentially moving or stationary face target. Easy and extremely effective.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If they come from a Mennonite culture, I might ask how much they know about their current culture? In other words, how not to piss someone off?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Just watching that video makes me tired. Hats off to those guys. That's a dynamic demonstration

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cornfed, any update on how the boys training is going? Would like to hear how their sparring went.

OP
C

Cornfed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cornfed, any update on how the boys training is going? Would like to hear how their sparring went.
The equipment I ordered arrived today, so I'll find out next session, which I think has been rescheduled to Thursday.

Latest Discussions