Whale Hunting

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Down here in Australia at the moment there is a massive uproar over the Japanese killing whales for what they say are for "scientific study".
The general thoughts down here is that this is just a front for the consumption of whale meat.
What does everyone think, should the hunt be allowed or should there be a complete and immediate ban.

Personally the eating of whales isn't the issue, for me its the cruellty of the hunt.
With all other animals the killing is as humane as is possible, that is immediate death, not prolonged and slow like it is with whales.
If an effective humane way to kill them outright was found and the hunt could be proved to be sustainable, go for it I say

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well short of destroying the animal completely there's no quick way to kill something that large. There is so much fat (blubber) meat and bone to go through just to reach the vital organs.
I agree that it is a cruel death that humans perform upon these magnificent animals, but there isn't a whole lot to do to force a world wide mortorium.
Greenpeace tries to stop it by placing their own lives in the line of fire of those giant (exploding) harpoons. I've read about Eco-terrorist sinking whaling ships and all hands aboard.
The world could strong-arm Japan with econ-sanctions to stop their renewed practice but what good is that going to do? We'll be stuck with the same OLD DVD, Stereos, cars, microwaves, and just about enny thing else electronic or product imported from Japan for a few years til they capulate. (everyone with me now.... ) yeeeahhh rriiiigggghhtt! :rolleyes:

They stopped for a while and now are picking it back up. What does that say?
How about Eskimos? If I'm not mistaken they're still allowed to hunt whales (the old fashioned way) in order to preserve their way of life. How long is that going to last?

It's terrible how mankind nearly wiped these animals off the face of the earth. But hey, aren't we good at that?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't by the 'scientific study' excuse from the Japanese. It's about the meat. But if it's sustainable, I don't care.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Japan and other countries (norway, I believe, is one of them) have thumbed their noses at "sustainability" when it comes to whale hunts. I think they are very short-sighted, and incredibly selfish - driving species to endangerment or extinction for short-term profits.

not that they are the only countries to that, of course.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is also an uproar in New Zealand over this issue as well. Why do the Japanese need to kill an extra 400 whales a year to carry out their scientific studies???

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, they don't - they take samples of a few of the whales that are killed, or post a scientist of some sort on a whaler, and then say, we *need* 400 whales.

I don't have much tolerance for it - it's incredibly thinly-veilled.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think anyone buys the 'research' bit. How many scientific studies are being published by them, I wonder?

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone buys the 'research' bit. How many scientific studies are being published by them, I wonder?
Ummmmmmm............... a big fat zero!!!!!! I havent seen anything the Japanese have published to date!!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, See the Yahoo news today (Jun23,2005) It has a story of a Japanese burger chain that serves Whale burgers ( in american money-about $3.50 each), looks like beef. Guess it is for food? Whale meat is popular and will be always sort after. It is just another food source. Depends on your own point of view?

Even in Hawaii turtles were always eaten, today you cannot kill turtles. It does taste good. Just another food source. But is outlaw for now. Populations of turtles is getting large. This has created another problem here.

Anytime you change a balance it destroys something else. There is a need for limits. Even vegetables are a living thing. Where do we draw a line? Why? Your background is different from many others who grew up eating whales,turtles and cows?

Do not force your beliefs on others....each is right in their own ways....Green peace is forcing others with force/violence for their own cause. Who is to say who is right? Does this make you GOD?

Everything needs a balance? What we eat is our choice......choose to or not too....? Boy I am going to get it from you guys.....Pro-meat eater......I do love sashimi ( raw fish) and poki(season raw fish).

Yes the whole world needs some kind of conservation and I am a member of a Fishing Council in Hawaii and we thru these things everyday. Whales to me (personal) should be allow. This is just me though. My son and daughter disagree with me. .............Aloha.....Be kind to me for my beliefs...Thanks