Weirdest place you got caught....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
doing forms.:ultracool

Kacey mentioned on another thread that she doesn't have room in her classroom to work on forms. It made me think of all the times I've worked on forms during "down times" outside of the dojang. I can't be the only one. Where have you worked on forms & gotten "caught" by non-martial arts who were trying to figure out what you were doing? My latest time was a few weeks ago at church. I was waiting for my wife to out of her meeting, so I was killing time working on Kuemgang (sp?) in the hallway. More than a few teens came out of their classroom & looked at me wondering if I needed..... assistance, of some sort.

Your turn:ultracool

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL!

I got caught running through some Kenpo forms in my office once :D

The office door was closed. There is a window in the door but that is easily covered up with a coat. Only problem was....it was too warm to wear a coat :D :D

Now everyone in my group is afraid of me. :uhyeah:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got caught in the back entryway of the office building I used to work in, during my lunch break. I didn't realize building security had a video camera set up to watch the area. One of the guards suddenly showed up and asked me to stop, they were afraid some of the other building tenants might feel threatened by it. Bunch of killjoys...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son was doing Koryo in the grocery store before a tournament and people ask me if he was alright

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was running thru a few steps in the bathroom and made a little bit to much noise. When I got out everyone asked me if I was ok.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the tennis court in a condo complex I used to live in... I needed a large enough flat space to practice, and that was the only one I could find in the area.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shower. Form in a box. It can be done. :ultracool

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heh...that is not what I thought this thread was about....

anyways....in the back yard by a neighbour...I was rather embarassed :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Years ago in line at a long bank, thinking deeply about a Chen form I was just shown and really not paying attention to the line and then realizing that I was not just thinking about it.

You would be surprised how far people stay away from you when you are in a moderate horse stance trying to figure out all the circular movement your waist does in Chen style.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Years ago in line at a long bank, thinking deeply about a Chen form I was just shown and really not paying attention to the line and then realizing that I was not just thinking about it.

You would be surprised how far people stay away from you when you are in a moderate horse stance trying to figure out all the circular movement your waist does in Chen style.

:lfao: Thanks for the chuckle. I can just picture it. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Directly following my class, I went back to gym, took off my uniform, put my shorts on and walked out to the mirror to wash my face. While standing there, I was running through them in my head and started practicing a few moves. So there I was standing in front of the mirror in gym bathroom, wearing no shorts doing forms when a Korean guy walked in the door, screamed, turned around and ran out of the bathroom.

Needless to say, I got changed the rest of the way and left through the back door of the gym.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hourly employee locker room at work. They looked at me, shook their head, and said, "what a spaz." This was pretty gutsy, considering I was their boss.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been caught doing them at school, at work (not my current job) standing in line (just sets there though). Sitting at a stop light I was working finger set LMAO you should have seen the looks of the people in the cars near me... almost as good as the ones on the faces of those in the car with me!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been caught in the rest room at my job... by a few people... that doesn't currently hold jobs where I work... AKA "the customers". I just stopped, washed my hands, and very quickly left! I've also practiced a form or 2 in the restroom stalls. I've wound up banging on the walls a few times, while another person was in the next stall. I made sure that either I left first, or I waited for them to leave. My boyfriend was caught outside performing either chul gi 1 or Kuk mu 5. I had several associates come up to me and say that he was trying to do ballet, and they asked me if he was feeling ok...

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm... I do forms frequently in a park near my house, or on the street in front (very little traffic, and no backyard). I have done them on the beach, in grassy fields that do have a lot of traffic going by, and in a crowded park in Montreal's Old Town (where other people would come and sit & watch VERY close to us... even though we were doing weapon drills at the time!) The most exotic locale was during a business trip to Venice, when I found a nice park and ran through my forms for about an hour or so. I am confident that I have been thought to be nuts on more than one continent!

People stare, a few will make jokes to their friends or even loud comments out their windows on occasion... but they rarely stop and make the comments up close and personal... especially if there's a group of us practicing.

The first couple of times that I did these "public" classes / practice sessions they were a little uncomfortable and I was very conscious of everyone who might be watching... now it doesn't bother me at all (which of course was likely part of the reason that we took the classes outside to begin with... well... that and simply to enjoy the sunshine!)

Latest Discussions