Weekend Warriors

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok.. so we're not beating people up on weekends.. not intentionally ;)
Seig and I and 7 other people are building 8 houses.. we got started 4 weeks ago and only work on weekends.. Course with him working midnights and getting home at 8 am on Sat. morning.. makes for a looong day for him by the time we get home.
We have a Construction Trainer who thank everything holy is patient as all get out.. There's 2 guys and the rest of the group is female.. most whom have never done more than hang a picture in their homes. sooooooo it's been interesting..

The Foundations for 2 were done so we built both subfloors and last weekend started framing up exterior walls.. it's been coooooold and muddy but what a way to spend a weekend :) Hopefully the weather will get better and the other houses footers and foundations can be laid..

This is our property early last fall. and joists almost all laid..

Attachments

• $midrightfront.jpg
    $midrightfront.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 240
  • $OurHouseJoists.jpg
    $OurHouseJoists.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 238
OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Subfloor laid.. man my knees were killing me.. did dig out the kneepads Seig got me.. they sure came in handy~!!

Attachments

• $subfloor.jpg
    $subfloor.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 255
OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's one of the other's houses- we raised a few walls and a few more to go :)

There will be a total of 14 homes in this new development which is nice.. this one is at the very top of the mountain at the end of the cul de sac.

Attachments

• $JohnsHouse.jpg
    $JohnsHouse.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 234
OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And me getting ready to start in again after lunch...Only have 3 shirts and a down vest on here.. not to cold.. it did sleet and snow though..

Attachments

• $Tessbuilding.jpg
    $Tessbuilding.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 235

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
8 houses? Is this a public service (Habitat for Humanity) type project? Are you setting up a commune? Oh, do tell.

I've been wanting to do something with my hands. I'm a computer guy by trade, and I think that the last few years I've had a pretty serious reaction to it that's led me to want to become a capenter (my bookselves, which I built, look terrible). It's bad enough that this fall I spent a few days working a jackhammer for my best friend (a plumber as well as a Ninja), and actually enjoyed my time.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This particular project is where we procure our mortgage through the USDA and another concern supplies the Trainer and we put out to bid all the subcontracting work. We do the labor ourselves as a group and when all the houses are complete we can move in. So it's in everyones' best interest to work and get their hours in. The head of household has to put in 15 hours a week and through either volunteer help or spouse another 15 hours, From last Sunday to today we put in 40.5 hours :)
It's not Habitat for Humanity, which I worked for some years ago, Would be great if we got the Volunteer work and the backing HOH gets ~!

Bob, Nope no basements.. we were going to have one but would of had to blast through quartz and other rock to build one.
It's all good.. cuz Seig and I will be putting up a garage when all's done~!

so if anyone comes visiting on weekends.. Bring Hammer.. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bow to your greatness. it is so nice to see people that still care enough to help take care of those that need a little kindness.:asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess this is great! I really love the setting, and how you are going to have all of those beautiful mature trees around your homes!
Thanks for the pics. Keep 'em coming. This is better than reality TV!
smile.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
so if anyone comes visiting on weekends.. Bring Hammer.. :)

Tess,

YOu know when I travel with anything resembling a weapon I seem to get into trouble. But if I am down that way, I will see what I can do about stopping by and swinging a hammer. I guess that stick work has to be good for something. ;)

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tess,

Very impressive work so far. That's no small house!!
How do you get everyone to cooperate? Seems to me there would have to be some slackers.....

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess ~ It looks like it will be absolutely beautiful when it's all done! And then you guys can sit back and look and point and say, WE did that!

:D

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks MJ :) I'm soooo happy the trees weren't taken down, only enough for the house :)
More pics guaranteed~!!

Rich, oh yeah.. stick work makes for strong arms *G* Would be happy to have you weild a hammer with us~!

Thanks Oldnewbie~! There's many groups that go through this program and the last one which still isn't done with their building have been at each other like cats n' dogs~!
We lucked out~! There's 2 men besides the trainer, Seig and the other guy are pretty laid back.. most of the time *G* The ladies are great, we have a varied range from mid 20s to late 40s, a teacher, office worker, 2 factory workers, nursing assistant, a race track attendant and myself. We had group meetings before actual construction began, and last fall we all built storage buildings for each to get some hands-on training. We're all friends and know that without cooperation we will get no where. We're very lucky to be a part of this group :)

We built and raised the final wall on #1 house yesterday and next Saturday we start the framing on ours. Then back to #1 to set the roof trusses.. which outta be interesting~!!

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tess,

It looks great and sounds like you guys are making some good progress! I can't wait to see when it is done!

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tess, You and Seig totally rock (to borrow a phrase.) What a wonderful adventure to share -- and what a great reward when it's over. KT

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One house is under roof~! YAY :) Interior walls going up. *need to take pics tomorrow*

Waiting for a good day to set the trusses on ours.
#3 house's subfloor is finished and exterior walls are next.

Rich Parsons stopped by and lent a hand a few weeks ago, he helped out alot :D Thanks Rich~!

This is part of our team, we were 'wrapping' our house that day, the other part of the team was sheathing another house's trusses.

Hope you can come down again Rich and we can actually get some time to hang out instead of hammering :D

Attachments

• $Ateamsm.jpg
    $Ateamsm.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 151
  • $RichP-Tess2.jpg
    $RichP-Tess2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 146

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess,

It was fun to stop by and I did nothelp that much. Only a few nails and hold some stuff, climb saw horse or two, and jump and cut something.

I should be able to stop by next year with more time, either on the way down or the way back. :)